Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read snippets about this before but I've never read about anyone actually doing it.

We all know how hard finding OE replacement fogs are and quite expensive if you do find them. My right fog was cracked when I bought my car and last weekend I noticed the left one is now cracked too.

I found that rockauto.com sells the 2nd gen fogs brand new for $70 for the pair! Deal.

I know that both fogs are 6" dia. and that ill have to get new pigtails cause the bulbs are different

My question is what all is involved in doing it? Is it fairly simple? Is it just a matter of swapping the brackets to reuse the 1st gen ones so they mount the same. I don't wanna buy until I've at least heard of one person actually doing it. Pics would be nice as well! Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one can share any experience with this? ill be happy to be the pioneer of this swap if thats whats needed. i gotta do something soon. my cracked fogs hurt my heart...

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
87 Posts
1st Gen Swap out

I did it on my 99, took out the brackets and the Crushed old foglight assemblies:rolleyes: and put in a Pair of Hella 550's. Got em at Wally world (walmart) for $60. I just cut off the existing connector and wired right to the two leads, didn't use the wiring harness included, just used the current existing wiring. Used a 90 degchuck ina electric drill and drilled up and made a mount hole, this in turn makes them Upside down, but it doesn't bother me, they are brighter than my existing headlights:29:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh sweet! i knew about the hella swap but didnt realize it was so cheap!

thats why i was going the 2nd Gen OE route. i will have to check that out. thanks!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 05 Outback Limited
860 Posts
You can get a pair of 2nd gen fog lights from Amazon for around $60.

If you want my old ones for testing purposes.. or whatever.. you can have 'em. One lens is shattered, the other has a hole through it from a rock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts