Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback , ej25 5speed manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2001 OB 5speed manual with 270k on the clock serviced at subi dealer since new never missed a service and only had one owner . Any comments ??

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Here in the USA the unofficial unspoken goal is 250,000 miles, or 402,000km

Quite a few are retired before hitting that mark but bear in mind many (most?) USA outbacks are sold in snowy climates where corrosive road treatments are used. The cars are rusting away before they go to full potential.

There are some which have lasted even longer than that, and there is at least one report of a car with 640,000kms on this board.

Keep up with it, welcome & good luck!

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
I have 170,000 mi. on my 02 OBW, don't know how many km. that is. So far have done nothing to it other than reg. maint., other than the obligatory idler and tensioner replacements. I even still show the same 11/1 compression that it had when new. Gen 2's are tanks, I hope to never retire mine.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
It all depends on how it was serviced and where it has lived. Abused cars get scrapped for expensive repairs.

Kaylee is a "baby" at 121,000 miles, and I will be disappointed if I don't crack 200,000. However, I know the rust from being a Chicago car will send her to the junkyard before anything else.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
We have a:

'98 Legacy GT with just under 160,000 miles
'01 Outback Limited Sedan with just under 170,000 miles
'98 Outback Limited Wagon with just over 240,000 miles
...and my '08 Outback 3.0R Limited is only at about 68,000 miles

and I had an '04 Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean that had 132,000 and was still perfect when I traded it in.

With proper care, they go for quite a while. HGs were done once on both our '98s (by previous owner). The '01 has been fine so far (knock on wood!) They are very reliable, the issues we have are minor and very infrequent. The rust situation on all but the '98 Outback is very good, and they're all New England cars.

Without factoring in rust, I'm sure you could break 300k before major issues with regular maintenance. There's actually a 3rd gen 3.0R owner on here with about 500k on his and it was still going strong last I knew.

There's no set number, but these cars are a good candidate if you're looking for something to get some miles out of.

·
Registered
2001 Outback , ej25 5speed manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hay thanks guys this all sounds positive . Condition wise it is in very good condition best one I found . The other question what sort of fuel economy are you getting out of yours ??

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
With Kaylee I get right about 20-22 city, 27-30 highway.

Lowest in winter city traffic: 16 MPG.
Highest on a long interstate trip with speeds at or under 65MPH: 32 MPG.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Ltd
15 Posts
Good Question

I have on '04 outback with 157,000 miles and is still running strong. No oil consumption between changes (Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles with Subaru oil filters). I recently chatted with a gentleman with an '98 w/ 375,000 miles. He had just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to see his son... still running strong.

I am curious what is the highest recorded mileage on a Subaru. I worked with a guy that drove a Volvo wagon that he purchased new. He had 750,000 miles on it and it was his daily driver. There's got to be a Subaru out there at least that good!

Hogndogz :)

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,788 Posts
The highest mileage Subaru I had was a 99 Outback that went 300k. It was wrecked. The engine still purred.

Gas mileage, 24-26 on a H4; was getting 24-27 on the SubarCharged prior to the modifications. A remap prior to the actual installation of all the components helped to get it to 27. Now, 12-14 on E85.

Hogndogz, did he have the plaques on the dash? Volvo used to give them out for 250, 500, 750 and a million. A customer from years ago had 757k+ on a V70 when the odometer quit working. He used for a cab until it was mandatory out of service. His wife took over and kept driving it.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
My 2.5 liter Outback has 119K miles on it right now. I plan to take that to at minimum 200K if not 250K or 300K before I retire it.

Highest mileage I've seen is a friend of mine's 1998 Legacy L wagon. 2.2 liter, 5 speed with 476,000 miles on the original drivetrain. Replaced the clutch exactly once.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,788 Posts
My 2.5 liter Outback has 119K miles on it right now. I plan to take that to at minimum 200K if not 250K or 300K before I retire it.

Highest mileage I've seen is a friend of mine's 1998 Legacy L wagon. 2.2 liter, 5 speed with 476,000 miles on the original drivetrain. Replaced the clutch exactly once.
What's he do, float the gears or a lot of highway driving? The most I've gotten out of a clutch was about 150k. City and stop and slow on the expressway kill em.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
What's he do, float the gears or a lot of highway driving? The most I've gotten out of a clutch was about 150k. City and stop and slow on the expressway kill em.
Not sure. I've never ridden in the car with him. It has been sitting in a field at his family's farm up in St. Mary's, PA for the past few years. He quit driving it because the body was getting so rotten. Drop a battery in it and bump the key and she'll start right up. He has upgraded his car in a big way. Last year he traded in his fully loaded '11 Outback 3.6R Limited on a 2011 BMW 328XI (after being a Subaru guy all his life (first car was either a Loyale or a GL) he decided he never really liked his 4th gen Outback and simply bought it because it was a Subaru). His beater is an '03 Legacy wagon.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Mine's about to turn 234,000 miles (376,586 Km). Still running great. There's a list of things I'd like to take care of, but nothing major.

My buddy picked up an '01 LL Bean with 254,000 on it from eBay with engine problems. He has about $1,200 invested in it after transport from NJ to his place here in central PA. I REALLY want to buy it from him and attempt to rebuild the engine. It has a perfect interior, and the body is fairly good. He's been trying to sell it because he doesn't have the time or money to invest in it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R
1,064 Posts
My '95 Outback wagon has 316,000km on it. There's a couple of rust pimples on the roof just back of the windshield. Needs front rotors, a rear ABS sensor replaced, and the heater core line coming off the water pump is starting to seep. 18 years old next month. Not bad for a car that spent it's life in an area that salts roads as if the salt is free and right on the coast.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4, 5 Speed Manual Transmission
5 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. My wife and I are picking up our 01 OBW tomorrow. It has 96K miles on it which made us a little nervous at first, but after seeing what some people are getting from theirs it looks like there's a lot of life left.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. My wife and I are picking up our 01 OBW tomorrow. It has 96K miles on it which made us a little nervous at first, but after seeing what some people are getting from theirs it looks like there's a lot of life left.
Just make sure you keep up with the timing belts in the 4-cyl cars... That one would be long overdue if it is still original.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wife's car has just under 160k mi on it with no end in sight. We live in Asheville, NC and have VERY short commutes since we relocated from MA. It's going to take years to hit 200k, but I'd like to. No signs of rust issues despite many New England winters.

Just a clutch and timing belt so far. Wife did a lot of stop and go in New England.

BTW...bought it brand new and our 8 yr old daughter came home from the hospital in this car.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
I've seen ej22's with 330k & 350K miles on them running strong.

My old ej251 '00 Legacy Brighton Wagon has 220K on it & it still runs strong.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I've seen ej22's with 330k & 350K miles on them running strong.

My old ej251 '00 Legacy Brighton Wagon has 220K on it & it still runs strong.
ej22 is another animal altogether.... it doesn't have to make as much power, and it isn't required to meet the same strict emissions. It's a simpler engine, and I would normally expect it to outlast any ej25.

·
Registered
2000 OBW, AT, 290.5k miles when I sold it
61 Posts
My 2000 is just about to hit 241k miles, or close to 388k km. In the middle of replacing a rear wheel bearing right now, and that's by far the most major thing it's needed. Once that's done, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts