Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Outback All-Weather with working key fobs. Should there be a security light flashing in dash when the car is locked indicating that I have a security system? How do I check if I have one at all?

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I have a 2003 Outback All-Weather with working key fobs. Should there be a security light flashing in dash when the car is locked indicating that I have a security system? How do I check if I have one at all?
If the security light is flashing, it means the car is in "Valet Mode." I think any 2003 with keyless entry has an alarm system.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,556 Posts
cars101.com should have a some info on the security system.

I suppose you could arm it, then open the door with the key and see if it is triggered.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
Do you have stickers on the rear windows indicating a system is installed?

Do you have an extra horn on the inside of the front passenger strut tower?

Do you have a control box next to the radio behind the trim?

Keyless entry is available without an alarm, girlfriends '04 is like that. The security light on mine will flash any time the car is locked, or it sits unlocked for a period of time and arms itself.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't seem like I have a factory security system installed. I don't have any stickers in the windows, no flashing light on the dash and I don't see an extra horn near the strut tower either.

I checked cars101, and it states a "security system upgrade" as an option for the all-weather equiped Outback wagon, so it looks like the previous owner didn't have that installed.

I am considering to get a Compustar alarm/remote start combo installed in a few months, its ~$200 at Future Shop with installation.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to install the factory alarm system, has anyone done this before?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts