Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am not sure if my bumper has always been like this, or if it happened recently, but it just feels very cheap. I can feel that there is half an inch of gap between the thin, plastic bumper cover and the actual metal bumper below it. Also, when tapping the bumper in anyway, I can hear the echo/rattle of the metal.

Are they all like this? Anyway to beef them up a bit? Something I could maybe add to the bottom to give it some strength? Even sitting on it or standing on it feels like it's going to break - I miss my Jeep Cherokee and it's solid metal bumper :/

·
Registered
368 Posts
Today's bumpers are made for relatively low impact protection and higher speed controlled crushing. The old 5mph steel girder style bumpers from 1974 for example are gone for weight savings and expense especially since higher speed crashes will result in similar or worse end result compared to controlled design crush points. Thin metals used behind the plastic bumper and Styrofoam can't really be beefed up effectively without a total redesign which may affect higher speed controlled crashes. Get a good bull bar or something similar for some toughness.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Today's bumpers are made for relatively low impact protection and higher speed controlled crushing. The old 5mph steel girder style bumpers from 1974 for example are gone for weight savings and expense especially since higher speed crashes will result in similar or worse end result compared to controlled design crush points. Thin metals used behind the plastic bumper and Styrofoam can't really be beefed up effectively without a total redesign which may affect higher speed controlled crashes. Get a good bull bar or something similar for some toughness.
Just keep in mind that the hard points for bull bars are crush zones too. You want a bull bar to push the Brahma bull around with like what we do with the old Dodge truck - you need a full frame truck not a Unibody car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, thanks for the explanation. I guess I should have rephrased how I put my question. I understand that bumpers are like that now, and that there isn't much that can be done to make it "beefier" in terms of strength. I guess what I meant was something a little more easy and cheap, like simply making it a bit more sturdy underneath, such as putting a bit more metal to fill the gap, or something like foam or something. I camp in my vehicles, and sitting or stepping on that bumper just feels flimsy ya know?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Your plastic cover simply sits on a metal bracket no fix other than to take off the plastic cover and step on the metal frame directly.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There should be L-shaped brackets that support the plastic outer cover out from the actual bumper. If your car got "bumped" from behind, this bracket could have been damaged or popped out (held in with a plastic push-pin type anchor). If you push in on the rear of the bumper cover, and it flexes inward easily, the bracket is probably missing.

I think there are three total brackets spread across the rear bumper area to support it.

If you can get under the car and look into the bumper cover area, you can barely see where it should be mounted and if it's still there. This is best done with the car on a lift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
wilsonhp
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing