Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good suggestions of some kind of oil-stop leak additive for an oil change to slow a current leak down? Ideally i'd like to get the h. gasket replaced, but $ is tight. additionally, could it be beneficial to add another Subaru coolant additive to the cooling system. (just had some added at coolant change 3k ago) btw-great forum by everyone's info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
couldn't see my entire question in my post, so here's a bit more info. its a 2000 outback on it's 2nd head gasket w/200k miles. It was suggested by several different shops including Subaru for the h.gasket job soon. Maintenance on it has always been done per the manual if not more. generally everything else is doing well w/the car, just the slow oil leak (spot always left when parked.) Even had the advice the 2-3k$ will buy alot of oil from a Subby shop.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would not automatically believe that the oil leak is from the head gasket.......At your mileage, a leak at the valve cover, or one of the spark plug seals is likely. A good cleaning, followed by a baby powder douche, (The engine, not you!) and you will likely be able to see for sure.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You should feel lucky that you made it to 200K miles. The first HG replacement was probably done by a dealer under the guarantee which means that it was a quickie job that I would not have thought would last to 200K. I just had the HG's done at 90K ['02], and my fondest hope is that I will make it to 200K.

At this point, let it leak! Count your lucky stars.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
how many miles ago was the gasket replaced?
what brand gasket was used?
the best gasket is the EJ25 turbo version, but it is highly unlikely that is what was used in your repair. it was likely aftermarket or the original OEM headgasket from Subaru (the same headgasket that was prone to leak in the first place, not a good option).

don't use additives in the oil.

the coolant stop leak can't physically impact the oil - completely separate systems in the engine.

#1 make certain it's a headgasket. due to the nature of oil leaks and Subaru's ability to coat the under side of the engine and for oil leaks to start outwardly (valve cover bolt, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gaskets, cam seals) or in the front of the engine (crank seal, oil pump) and blow inward or back - the headgasket area can often appear saturated with oil but that does not mean the headgasket is the source.

#2 verify how much you're actually loosing. if it's not too much maybe you can just keep adding oil. may try thicker oil and see if that slows it down a bit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the suggestions. yep, the original replacement was a subaru job under warranty probably used subaru gasket also (unfortunetly).

until I get more time to investigate myself and a thorough cleaning of it all, it is a slow leak, as originally thought so i'll just be adding oil. I'm ok w/that.

I do realize the coolant additive wouldn't affect the oil, just the gasket and squeezing as much life out of the gasket where i could was the thought. I prefer not using any additives anyway where possible. just picking on all your experiences.

thanks everyone and enjoy your evening!

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
IF the leak is from a gasket (head or valve cover), you may have some success switching to an oil like Valvoline Maxlife or Pennzoil High Mileage, they both have a decent reputation for seal swelling/conditioning that may cut down on consumption.

Otherwise, check the oil and coolant levels frequently and add as needed. If it isn't running hot, it can leak for thousands of miles if you don't let the fluids get low and run just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
valve covers, oil pan, backing plate, spark plugs, all a source of an oil leak. without more info, i dont trust what the shops suggest as it being a head gasket leak, unless they truely did whats called a "leak down" test and can provide you % of leakage for each cylinder.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions. yep, the original replacement was a subaru job under warranty probably used subaru gasket also (unfortunetly).

until I get more time to investigate myself and a thorough cleaning of it all, it is a slow leak, as originally thought so i'll just be adding oil. I'm ok w/that.

I do realize the coolant additive wouldn't affect the oil, just the gasket and squeezing as much life out of the gasket where i could was the thought. I prefer not using any additives anyway where possible. just picking on all your experiences.

thanks everyone and enjoy your evening!
My 2001 had the HG done at the dealer all the dealers were using updated gaskets in late 2000 if I recall correctly. And they were not leaking oil! They were leaking coolant externally.

A 2000 with oil leaking my first bet is Valve cover gaskets are done. Mine were starting to show early signs of leaking around 170K but that was a single owner car with religious oilchange history using Synthetic oil. A family member had the same car with lets just say unknown oil change history and it was leaking like crazy from many places by 110K. Valve cover gaskets were leaking - oil pump 0-ring seal was leaking and rear seal was leaking. Car was not cared for in the slightest manner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing