Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another rock, on the edge, and it quickly cracked all across the windshield in the next few days.
Amazing, as like others, I never remember windshields so weak to do this so easily in the past.

To be fair - I have driven more this past year than I ever have - Im in the high 30K on my 2020 OB.
That said, I had the windshield replaced early last January - I did it at the dealer, which, they bring in their third party glass people and then they do the eyesight calibration.

Has anyone done their 2020 at a separate place, like when insurance recommends?
If I go elsewhere, is it still the Subaru part, and then do I have to take it back to Subaru to calibrate the eyesight?

Just wondering if its worth going to a 3rd party at all.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
15 Posts
I had my windshield replaced on my '20 because somebody stepped on it. I had it replaced via Safelite and it's been great so far. They had it for about 2 or 3 hours and even recalibrated the Eyesight. I've had no issues with the Eyesight and this windshield seems to be tougher than OEM. My OEM windshield had a few chips in it from rocks after only a few months of driving. I've had the Safelite windshield since August and have had no issues with chips. There's no reason to not go 3rd party, especially with how unreliable OEM seems to be.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
382 Posts
My theory is the glass has retained extra stress after the annealing process. This condition encourages propagation of cracks.
Mine was low near the wipers. High stress area? I heard the chip impact and honestly thought I dodged one but no. Crack. I had many chips in my Cmax, worst than the one that got me in my Onyx. It just felt these windscreens are weak. If this safelite one is stronger I am getting that when it breaks next. No confidence in the OEM glass

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
The OEM windshield is carlex and supposedly Safelite can install fuyao glass and one member said he felt it was stronger and better than OEM. This is purely anecdotal.

Fuyao does make OEM glass for Subaru just not the windshield.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt location has anything to do with it. This one hit the very edge area near the top. Cant even see the impact point from inside the car. The last one was on the passenger side, halfway up, about 3-4 inches from the side. Both are very small chip/marks (Ive had much bigger in past windshields with no cracking) and both started cracking the next day - spreading pretty far in the first few days then slowing a lot.

I have more long drives ahead for another month or so, so I might not do anything for a while, or until a cop makes me. Its not in my view anyway. Most of it behind the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
905 Posts
What brand was installed as your first replacement?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Magnetite Grey, 2009 Outback Quartz Silver Metallic
267 Posts
Got another rock, on the edge, and it quickly cracked all across the windshield in the next few days.
Amazing, as like others, I never remember windshields so weak to do this so easily in the past.
Don'tcha just love California freeways? We just had our second replacement, too, but I don't think anything hit us. I came out in the morning and there was a crack beginning at the driver's side windshield post running horizontally across the vision field. Neither the glass shop nor I could see any impact evidence.

I hate my local dealer, so both times I've had a local shop replace it with genuine Subaru stamped glass.

On the plus side, with the covid lockdown, I now have a new friend with a glass shop 😀

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What brand was installed as your first replacement?
It was done at a Subaru dealership, so... whatever the official one they use is. I don't even know.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don'tcha just love California freeways? We just had our second replacement, too, but I don't think anything hit us. I came out in the morning and there was a crack beginning at the driver's side windshield post running horizontally across the vision field. Neither the glass shop nor I could see any impact evidence.

I hate my local dealer, so both times I've had a local shop replace it with genuine Subaru stamped glass.

On the plus side, with the covid lockdown, I now have a new friend with a glass shop 😀
I didnt even know, it was broken, because it hit outside of my view from the inside. I heard it hit but didnt see anything, then the next day saw the crack coming down from the top. DOH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts