Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I been following the forum since I got my first Subaru last year. She is a 2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 VDC with 200.000 kms at this time, I'm so happy with this car and I try to keep it in best shape I can.
Two months ago I removed the Steering angle sensor to be able to fix the common clinking noise while turning the steering wheel, there are some tiny magnets and metal plate inside the sensor, carefully you have to push in the little magnets to avoid them to get in touch with the plate and make the noise. Once I got the noise fixed I proceed to assembled everything. When I started the car I noticed the VDC and ABS lights are on. After read some forums and release what I done, I found that missed the alignment with the wheels and everything was out of whack. I didn't center the sensor before installed, huge mistake.
I took the car to the dealer and they told me that the clock spring it's fried, as far as I understand the function of the clock Spring is just a spiral electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection with the Airbags, Honk and cruise control. Everything is working totally fine, so i don't get what it's burned. Now my idea is get the SAS scanner tool and get the sensor center, the tool is called Autel MaxiCheck Pro with SAS, anyone has some experience with this? It's really annoying and specially having ABS not working.
I attached here some pictures of my Subi!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
well, 'fried' may be slightly misused here and could mean ;broken/compromised, etc.

otherwise, I dunno

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
updated thread title. great looking 01 there.

did you unhook the main battery and stand on the brake to drain any residual power before the work?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your problem is probably the yaw sensor behind the clock spring that is out of wack. I have the same issue. After i installed a new steering rack, i didnt get the steering knuckle back to the original spline position and it threw the steering angle sensor off and caused my ABS and VDC lights to come on. Its been like that for almost two years now. I have no issue driving it but i would love to get it fixed. As far as I know, subaru dealerships have the only computers that can read the sensor and tell you whats wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
updated thread title. great looking 01 there.

did you unhook the main battery and stand on the brake to drain any residual power before the work?
Yup absolutely, specially before remove the Airbag..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your problem is probably the yaw sensor behind the clock spring that is out of wack. I have the same issue. After i installed a new steering rack, i didnt get the steering knuckle back to the original spline position and it threw the steering angle sensor off and caused my ABS and VDC lights to come on. Its been like that for almost two years now. I have no issue driving it but i would love to get it fixed. As far as I know, subaru dealerships have the only computers that can read the sensor and tell you whats wrong.

Exactly, That's the problem. I know that you can use it like that, the LL. bean edition doesn't have VDC, the only problem in this case is to not have ABS as a matter of safety.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Exactly, That's the problem. I know that you can use it like that, the LL. bean edition doesn't have VDC, the only problem in this case is to not have ABS as a matter of safety.
I also had my ecu fried on one of my genius offroad experiments when the interior flooded. So currently i am using a 2002 ll bean ecu in my 2001 vdc wagon. So thats another part of my vdc not working. Hopefully i can find a 01 or 02 vdc wagon in the junkyards near me. Just the big thing is paying the dealer $100 just to diagnose the issue with the sensor and then see if they give me enough information to fix it myself (probably not) haha.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
Interesting that you can fix the noise with the sensor. If you know your way around an adruino you can build a board to hook up to the sensor can bus signal and read the steering angle out on a computer.
I have the adruino software to do this as I built a setup to scale my steering angle sensor to deal with a higher rack steering ratio.

You can also try to relearn your angle sensor with this procedure.

Park the vehicle in a straight ahead position on a horizontal surface.
Confirm the steering wheel center position. (If the center position is not accurate, adjust wheel alignment.)
Drive the vehicle approx. 10 km (6 MPH) preferably on a straight road, then turn ignition switch OFF. Then drive the vehicle approx. 10 km (6 MPH) again confirming that ABS and VDC warning lights do not go ON while vehicle is being driven. Also make sure there are no abnormalities of the VDC function or steering operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
Also, the ECUs used in the llbean and vdc cars are the same. You should be fine there. The TCU and ABS computers are different.

Read the ABS/VDC codes if in doubt. You can ground some pins on the ABS harness to read codes and clear them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
Also, the ECUs used in the llbean and vdc cars are the same. You should be fine there. The TCU and ABS computers are different.

Read the ABS/VDC codes if in doubt. You can ground some pins on the ABS harness to read codes and clear them.
just to confirm that,

"ECM - Subaru 22611AE98H " fits all US/Canada spec 2001 and 2002 H6 cars. as per a subaru parts site. ($650 today)

what are you using form arduino?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting that you can fix the noise with the sensor. If you know your way around an adruino you can build a board to hook up to the sensor can bus signal and read the steering angle out on a computer.
I have the adruino software to do this as I built a setup to scale my steering angle sensor to deal with a higher rack steering ratio.

You can also try to relearn your angle sensor with this procedure.

Park the vehicle in a straight ahead position on a horizontal surface.
Confirm the steering wheel center position. (If the center position is not accurate, adjust wheel alignment.)
Drive the vehicle approx. 10 km (6 MPH) preferably on a straight road, then turn ignition switch OFF. Then drive the vehicle approx. 10 km (6 MPH) again confirming that ABS and VDC warning lights do not go ON while vehicle is being driven. Also make sure there are no abnormalities of the VDC function or steering operation.
Okay, I'm not very familiar with the adruino and software stuff. I probably have to findout lots of info of how to make it.

So I tried already that procedure, I actually found it before on the service manual if I remember right. But I have few questions, first thing, whenever you get 10km, I switched the ignition key OFF, for how long I should keep it OFF? till the car stops? Transmission on Drive mode always or Neutral? Then turn it ON again? I supposed to have the VDC and ABS lights OFF after done this while turned the key back on? I tried few times without success, I hope I did it wrong so I have some hope next time Lol.

Thanks everyone to help and give some advises!

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
I haven't done this procedure, but I assume you would put the car back in park. First I would read your ABS codes and then clear the codes before doing the procedure

Read Codes:
Take out diagnosis connector from side of driver's seat heater unit.
Turn ignition switch OFF.
Connect diagnosis connector terminal 8 to diagnosis terminal. (Ground pin)
Turn ignition switch ON.
ABS warning light is set in the diagnostic mode and blinks to identify diagnostic trouble code (DTC) .
After the start code (11) is shown, the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be shown in order of the last information first. These repeat for a maximum of 3 minutes.

Clear Codes:
After calling up a diagnostic trouble code (DTC), disconnect diagnosis connector terminal 8 from diagnosis terminal.
Repeat 3 times within approx. 12 seconds; connecting and disconnecting terminal 8 and diagnosis terminal for at least 0.2 seconds each time.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
like a typical Arduino Uno, vs. one or more of their other offerings.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Products
Yes, I used an Uno with two Seeed Studio CAN BUS Shields. One to read the signal from the steering angle sensor and another to transmit the scaled value to the ABS/VDC computer. If you want to just read the angle sensor you only need one CANBus Shield.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
My 01 VDC is pin 6 to read and erase. Read is connect the ground wire to pin 6 and turn the key on without starting. If it starts, its okay because the ABS light will still flash the codes. To erase, have the wire in pin 6, turn the key on and then pull out and insert the wire in pin 6 3 times, about once per second, then leave out after the 3rd time and turn off the ignition, and the codes clear. You can verify codes cleared by rechecking the codes and if just 11 flash, your erased and there's no issues seen in the system.

I am inclined to think that the SAS just needs a computer calibration. I'm not where I can hook up to my car and check FreeSSM, so I don't know that its in there to reset. I do believe the scan tool software from Autel will reset the calibration if the slow drive does not. It is also possible to damage a clockspring if the steering wheel is put on off center and turned to full lock either direction. And it only takes one turn to do it and it may not effect all the accessories on the steering wheel. I am not saying the dealer service is correct.

If your steering wheel is on the column shaft proper and straight with the steering rack centered, then I would disconnect the battery cables, touch the cable ends together and reconnect the battery then do the drive setting. Start, drive, park, shut off, turn right back on, drive and see if the lights stay out. If they come back on, then you may have a circuit issue and you'll need the software to see the angle position and whether its working when you turn the wheel, then hopefully if it is, reset it with the software.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
For clarification, the clock spring and steering angle sensors are separate units. The clock spring has wiring for the airbag and the cruise control buttons. If the ABS lights and cruise control lights are not on then you are good from that end. Either way, a damaged clock spring will not affect the VDC system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For clarification, the clock spring and steering angle sensors are separate units. The clock spring has wiring for the airbag and the cruise control buttons. If the ABS lights and cruise control lights are not on then you are good from that end. Either way, a damaged clock spring will not affect the VDC system.
Exactly! So there you go, they told me at the dealer that the clock spring it's fried, needs a replacement and then they can have accesses to the ECU, something like that. This make absolutely no sense. What it's has to be the clock spring with the ECU?? And for sure, Airbag, Cruise control and honk is working normally.
Anyways, tomorrow I take the car for the regular service and they'll try to align the SAS with their tools, hopefully the can fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts