Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0 LL Bean
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newbie here. 2006 Outback, 3.0 LL Bean, 137k.
In tracking down an oil leak I am fairly convinced it’s coming from the pan. I did stop about 75 percent of the leak by replacing the cooler O-Ring, but fresh oil continues to reside on and near the mating surface of the pan and the pan screw heads.

1. After reading the take-out procedure for the 2.5, it sounds like the 3.0 is a breeze since it appears no cross member is in the way. Can someone please confirm this is a more simple operation, just drop the pan and that’s it.
2. Should I use a gasket? What are some of your experiences? I have the Felpro on standby, but many folks have sworn by just using RTV. Maybe use a sandwich of both-?
3. If I do use a gasket, or combo method, will I need longer screws?
4. Any other bits I should consider replacing? I was thinking the suction O Ring?

I appreciate any responses you find the time to send.
Matt R.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
Welcome! The 3.0L (EZ30D, Revised) is a great engine.

You have done well by doing the cooler o-ring thus far. The oil pan, however, is fairly uncommon. Yes, it is much easier than the 2.5 pan as you only have a "little" pan to deal with, but there is an upper "girdle" that attaches to the bottom of the motor that could also be leaking. Extremely uncommon, but it's possible.

I would degrease (see: brake cleaner) the area the best you can and reevaluate for leaks. I'd also suspect a leaking oil sensor (just above the cooler/filter) or a weeping timing cover. Wind can/will get up there while moving and blow oil over everything.

If it is truly an oil pan leak, use RTV only. There was no gasket from the factory (even though FelPro likes to sell one). Stick with Permatex UltraGrey, Right Stuff 1 min RTV, or some iteration of -bond (Hondabond, Triplebond, etc).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
I concur with RoughDiamond. RTV only. Clean very thoroughly. I like the UltraGrey but I suppose most any high temp oil resistant will do.
WARNING: be very, very careful tightening the pan bolts back up! You can snap them off in a heartbeat! Yes, I did on one - tighter is not always better! Now, I use my torque wrench!
Get a new crush washer too.

That oil sensor is known to leak, so I'd figure on changing that while you are under there.

The H6 EZ30D has quite a bit of room to do what you are talking about, spark plugs are a different matter but doable - with patience!

While you're under there take a look at the hoses, if they haven't been changed, it's probably time.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
1. diagnose it properly - they rarely leak.

2. RTV only, definitely don't use a gasket. The Right Stuff is awesome.

3. i haven't seen one leak so i haven't done an H6 in the engine bay but if you need clearance just unbolt the two 14mm engine mount nuts underneath and jack the engine up an inch or two. some subaru engines the baffles inside the pan need to clear the sump at a specific angle and don't just "drop off" the bottom of the engine like it looks like it should by just looking at it.

don't deform the oil pan by tigthenining the bolts too hard or otherwise bending/prying on the lip during removal.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
My gen2 H6 pan didn't leak around the edges, it leaked right thru the pan courtesy of rust.

I used the ultra-gray, worked fine, no leaks for the remaining years I drove it.

Prep and tightening are critical since the mating surface lies far below the surface of the oil.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0 LL Bean
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are awesome, thank you for the responses and advice.
I have a little time before my next oil change so it sounds prudent to degrease and diaginose a little further to be certain I'm not wasting my time & money. Will check on the sensor and timing cover...although will probably let it go if that's it, don't really feel like taking the front off for a drip. (*Evil Soob, I know about your spark plug reference, that work took me all weekend!)
Knowing an oil leak is common (for most cars probably) i'll chime back in with the results after i finish the work.
Thanks again for your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts