Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been checking the fuel economy for my daily drive to work comparing using Sport all the time Vs just leaving it in Drive. So far I've been surprised to see the fuel usage almost exactly the same. I find the drive in city traffic better in Sport as ready acceleration for lane changes is always there and this usually requres less stomping on the gas than in D mode. I've also compared using Manual/Sportshift mode with D and found I got better economy shifting for myself.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X
14 Posts
I've been playing about using the fuel consumption display. Mainly driving narrow country rds and gravel tracks. Manual shifting produces best results for me where I can keep revs up to sensible level and stay in 5th all the time. That is not necessarily lead footing but maybe testing the vehicles grip with some tight bends. This thing sticks like glue to a blanket:rolleyes: . Changing down dampens things somewhat but I reckon with care and attention manual shifting is the way to go.
By the way is there a way to change the read out from km/L to what is the Aus standard L per 100 klm?
Averaging 8.5 km/L in D
10.5Km/L on manual
(over about 30km) country roads and 17 inch geolanders.
Regards J.W.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J.W. I agree, manual shifting gives the best economy, best performance and most fun drive, can't always use that though. Your economy sounds much the same as I get, was averaging 8.8-9.1 Km/L in D (or sport) for the drive to work which is 15km of highway then 25km city stop start traffic.

I totally agree about the grip around tight bends :D There's no way the average Aussie car could stay close if you were even mildly trying on tight bends.

Sorry to say the word from Subaru is the display can't be changed from the Km/L readout, buggered if I know why they gave us that..

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
I worked out my fuel consumption to be around 11.3ltrs per 100ks.
According to the average 8.9ks/ ltr,on the display.

Its not too bad filling up just seems to come round to quick @ 64ltr tank.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Close to my average for 70:30 City:HWY driving :) I agree they really need a larger fuel tankI have to fill twice a week at least...

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Jondalar said:
Close to my average for 70:30 City:HWY driving :) I agree they really need a larger fuel tankI have to fill twice a week at least...
How many ks you done now?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car new Feb 20th with 22km on it, now have over 25,500 km up. I guess I like to drive Outbacks ;)

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.0R 05
36 Posts
This may be of interest; I have just completed a 1456 mile round trip to the Scottish highlands. Fuel consumption in first 837miles
in SPORT mode was 21.3 mpg (x 1/1.2009= 17.736 US mpg) remainder in D mode 21.63mpg (17.985US).Consumption measured by topping tank and noting volume and miles covered since last top up. Not really much difference but I could certainly feel the better response from the AT in SPORT, much livelier. One snag, my car has only done 2180 miles so long way to go to obtain proper loosened up mpg. I have never driven a car which is so stable and responsive in loose and hard packed snow, quite an eye opener. BTW I promised some photos, I'm afraid I am sans camera at the moment but I have'nt forgotten and will post some pics when daughter returns the item.:rolleyes:

·
Submod , ,
2000 BMW R1150gs
3,012 Posts
I can't wait to see your photos as my family originally came from the Highlands to Canada.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've decided to use mostly manual mode lately, it is much better for lane changing in traffic and I'm convinced I get over 10% better fuel economy. Auto mode changes down gears too easily on hills and slight acceleration, and not quickly enough when you use harder acceleration. The 3.0R motor is quite torquey if only the auto mode would let it be!

Sooo Osmium, ever get those photo's of the highlands?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts