Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Legacy 3.0r Limited developed a ticking/clicking noise after it sat in the driveway for almost 2 months.
After being driven for a few days it misfires at idle only. It tripped a p0301 and was pending p0302. No other codes.
I have used a stethoscope and found the noise to be coming from the lower half of the valve cover near cylinder 1.
Car runs great any time other than idle.
I got a video but not sure how to put it here.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
I got a video but not sure how to put it here.
You need a minumum number of posts (15?) before you are allowed to do this; it's a feature to stop spammers. And I see you're almost there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, well it's not too important.
Just curious what would happen to the engine while it was sitting to make it do all of this.
Could bad gas be causing all of this?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Just curious what would happen to the engine while it was sitting to make it do all of this.
Could bad gas be causing all of this?
P0301 and P0302 are misfire codes, and what might have happened is that valve cover or plug seal oil leaks could have accumulated on the plugs and affected spark. Pull out these two plugs and see what they look like.

And yes, it could also be fuel related. How much are you driving?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it for about a 20 minute drive thru farmland yesterday. Aside from that I only drove it to work once last week.
Only time I had an issue yesterday was taking off from a stop, it misfires and feels like the throttle is slow to react to pedal inputs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I pulled the #1 spark plugs and found my first NGK plug failure.
The ceramic spins freely in the shell and the center electrode moves in and out of the ceramic.
Switched it out for one of the oem plugs that I still had around and no more knocking/ticking noise.

Hopefully that's the end of this story.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
777 Posts
Maybe you got a bad batch of six. And thats why cylinder 2 is pending misfire. I would change all 6 out just to be sure. Maybe contact ngk and show them a picture along with the code you had. They may reimburse you. I know its not much. But still, they would probably want to know.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Well I pulled the #1 spark plugs and found my first NGK plug failure.
The ceramic spins freely in the shell and the center electrode moves in and out of the ceramic.
Switched it out for one of the oem plugs that I still had around and no more knocking/ticking noise.
There were also some problems a while back with Chinese-made counterfeit NGK plugs. Story is here; you may want to check it out as there were definite tip-offs for identifying counterfeit parts

And you may want to replace all six plugs, given the issue seen with plug #1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts