Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking around and I believe that the 3.0R is the most powerful NORMALLY ASPIRATED 3.0lt except I think for the Honda NSX motor.

Can anyone think of a 3.olt motor of equal or more power that is normally aspirated from the factory.

Remember it has to be 3.lt, not 3.1lt or 3.2lt and NORMALLY ASPIRATED and came from the factory in normal guise.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Losiho said:
BMW M3 (the original E36 shape, before engine capacity was increased to 3.2 litres).
Original E36 M3 only had 170KW I believe...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sorry, I must've been confused, thinking back it was probably the 330i I was confused with. Still, one would hardly compare an M power engine as being a mass production engine, more a tuner special, which I'm sure a decent tuner could get a lot more power from the 3.0R H6.

·
Registered
2000 OB Wagon, 2.5L auto
153 Posts
The Ford Taurus SHO '89-'95(3.0L) and '93-'95(3.2L) Yamaha engine came with 220 hp/200 ft/lbs tq from the factory. Not bad since it first debut in '89.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Thanks for bringing up the fact that Subaru has the most powerful n/a 3.0 6cyl. in the industry. I am wracking my brain trying to think of other engines, the Yamaha 3.0 came to mind also. So, we have somethingelse to grin about!

The mailman brought an invitation to drive a new '05 Legacy and get a $25 VISA gift card. Torture to have to get paid to test drive the '05 OB,... but which one to drive?

Maybe the 3.0R?

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I had an E36 328i, the oil filter is the paper type and was about $11 at a dealer.

Oil changes were simple on that car too, didn't even have to jack the car up and the oil filter was looking right at you when you popped the hood.

Of course, I think the newer E46s were sold with synthetic oil and that made the oil changes from the dealer more like $40 per change. I always did my own anyway.

Jay

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
The Porsche 968 had a 236 hp NA 3.0. It was a 4 cylinder though.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 3.0R makes 241hp. In Japan it makes 246hp. I think due to higher octane petrol.

Does anyone know what our Optimax fuel (98 octane) here in Oz is rated compared to other country's octane rating?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I am pretty sure the 3.0R makes the same here and there, the Subaru Global website lists 180kW / 245HP, the difference between that and 241 is that the 245 is Metric HP. I'd be amazed if the US version really has different power, it's probably just a different rating system being used.

As for fuel Octane, we use RON (Research Octane Number), USA used MON (Motor Octane Number) it's complicated to relate them as the MON is the average (I think) of RON and something else related to detonation characteristics. I read a lot about it once and still couldn't work out the comparison.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Japanese spec 3.0R quotes a power output of 184kw. I read this in a magazine. Oz spec quotes 180kw. Therefore a direct conversion from kw to hp yields 246hp fo Japan and 241 fo Oz (using .746kw per hp which is standard kw to hp).

Therefore I was wondering whether it was because of fuel octane ratings. The Subaru owners manual recommends using min 95 RON which begs the question, does using our 98 octane boost power to the 184kw or somewhere in between. Is our 98 octane similar to what they use in Japan to obtain their power figure?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sorry, I hadn't seen that figure, but since they say 180 on their global site I still think it could be due to differences in the standard used to rate the power or could equally be due to different fuel. Note that on the Japanese site they say 184KW/ 250 PS which is 250 HP... All I can suggest is run on Optimax for a bit and see how it goes, I know it made a huge difference with my BMW 323i, but not so much the 540i, compared to normal 95RON Premiun. I think you'd have to do a few tankfuls to really know though. I can't try it as my fuel card is only for Caltex and they don't make a 98 :mad:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Karl,

I have always run 98 Optimax ever since it came out with my previous H6 and other cars. Don't know if it is any more powerful than with 95 because I'm loathe to try 95 or lower. It has plenty of power with the 98 anyway.

Don't know where the different power figures come from, but Japan has always quoted slightly higher power (kw) figures than us here in Oz and I always assumed that it was because of the detuning nature of our lower octane 95, but now we have 98 so it maybe a different story. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Lance perhaps a clue to this could be the fact that the Liberty/Legacy GT requires 98 Octane although it looks like that gets 190kW in Japan (auto), so yes it is probably due to the fuel... It's a shame we're stuck with 92 Octane as base grade, 95 should be the base grade and 98 the Premium in my opinion. Nevermind the fact that I've just noticed there's a MT version of the Legacy GT that has 210kW! :eek:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
We're talking standard production cars here jobe1942, any Formula1 race engine of 3 litres is extremely powerful, but it's hardly a car you can go out and buy.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I just saw an advert for a new Lexus (either GS300 or ES300) which puts out 183kW, however it's not on Lexus' Australian web site yet.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Well to revive the dead thread, now Lexus and BMW both have more power NA 3.0 liter engines, 183kW Lexus GS300 and 190kW BMW 330i. Any other newer engines beating the 3.0R motor?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts