Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. My previous post was closed for further comments so here is the continuation. My wife's 3.6 2018 purchased new Subaru outback sprung a coolant leak at 6500 miles. See the above thread for details. The dealership fixed the coolant leak (it was a factory poorly installed clamp on a hose) but the relevant detail is that my wife noticed the engine temperature gauge rising, after which the vehicle was towed to the Subaru dealership (this was at 6500 miles). Things went fine after that but now the vehicle is leaking oil at 11,500 miles. I looked under the car and the oil is coming from a spot about 24 inches from the front and about 12 inches from the midline under the engine (it is all plastic under there). So 24 inches to the back and towards the passenger side 12 inches from the middle. Will be calling the dealership today as the car is under warranty for still another year. Is this a head gasket issue? What else could it be? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hello again. My previous post was closed for further comments so here is the continuation. My wife's 3.6 2018 purchased new Subaru outback sprung a coolant leak at 6500 miles. See the above thread for details. The dealership fixed the coolant leak (it was a factory poorly installed clamp on a hose) but the relevant detail is that my wife noticed the engine temperature gauge rising, after which the vehicle was towed to the Subaru dealership (this was at 6500 miles). Things went fine after that but now the vehicle is leaking oil at 11,500 miles. I looked under the car and the oil is coming from a spot about 24 inches from the front and about 12 inches from the midline under the engine (it is all plastic under there). So 24 inches to the back and towards the passenger side 12 inches from the middle. Will be calling the dealership today as the car is under warranty for still another year. Is this a head gasket issue? What else could it be? Thank you.
could be lower oil pan... you have to remove that plastic cover to see where it might be leaking. That area is also near the oil filter. Could be residual oil from the oil filter being removed at an oil change (spilled out of the filter down there) - not a leak, but enough that you notice it. Hard to say without removing the pan and looking up in there.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Subaru dealer says it is an o-ring on the oil part of an oil cooler than has coolant and oil running in it. Should have it fixed tonight, will pick up tomorrow. Happy not a head gasket.
The little oil cooler right there at the oil filter. Seems like I remember some threads about that o ring developing a leak. Something to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts