Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being off school and home with my children, I have started looking at Outbacks and I am thinking I need to buy one in a few months. I am looking at the 2018 or 2019 3.6 Limited. As I am new to this, is there a benefit to on year over another? Not just that the 2019 is newer and would have longer warranty coverage...

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
The 2018 had the CVT warranty extension to 100k, the 2019 hasn’t had that extended yet.

The 2018 also has a longer warranty on the head unit because of a class action lawsuit. So the bugs have been worked out, and it has the longer warranty on that part.

2019, as you said, would have a longer warranties otherwise (potentially) because it is a year newer.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
258 Posts
2019 has eyesight standard if I'm not mistaken. If that means anything to you...

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
448 Posts
Try and get one that has as many safety features as possible, you did mention children. The LED headlights are very good even to my 'ole eyes. Eyesight can be annoying sometimes but I'll never drive without it again. Good Luck with your purchase. (y)(y)

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
184 Posts
I've never figured out what the difference is between my '18 Limited and a '19. Besides warranties.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Both are going to be great; there is little reason to seek one over the other. Choose the one that you like better after you make sure it was well maintained and any damages addressed.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts
'18 had headunit issues, don't know if solved.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
522 Posts
I've never figured out what the difference is between my '18 Limited and a '19. Besides warranties.
From a list I put together a while ago, it looks like the rear suspension has some changes. The suspension in our 2019 Australian spec Outback 3.6R seemed firmer than the new 2018 3.6R I test drove & the on-centre steering was better.

Outback-suspension-differences.jpg

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
You will be buying used. So, the greatest consideration by far is getting an Outback that has been maintained the best. Do your best to identify that. We are talking about an SUV here. The prior owner could have had some fun out there abusing the car. Any feature differences between 2018 and 2019 are minor in comparison.

By the way, I own a 2018 OB 2.5. You would have to pay me a lot of money to trade in my Outback for a different Outback year. My Outback works great, and I would not want to risk getting a lemon. I maintain the car well. Hopefully, the prior owner of your future Outback is like me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
175 Posts
Good call deciding to opt for the 3.6. Going from a 2.5 to 3.6 made me love Subaru again.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
184 Posts
I would never consider a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder on a car this heavy. They can do magic with the trans but it still lacks low end. Even the turbo 4 doesn't have the same grunt.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
Dude. This person is buying a 3.6 and then you decided to tell him how much you love your 2.5 and how you would NEVER own another car. Why even go there? How does that help?
I said you would have to pay me a lot to get another model YEAR. This thread is mostly about the model YEAR. I am still waiting for a quote. Y’all are proving my point. Just say, “Oops, I misread.”

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,196 Posts
Dude. This person is buying a 3.6 and then you decided to tell him how much you love your 2.5 and how you would NEVER own another car. Why even go there? How does that help?
We get it. You love your 3.6 and anybody even mentioning a 2.5 is a threat to your self security. But in this case you are simply wrong. There was nothing in @jakemccoy's post that was in any way negative about the 3.6 Outbacks or in any way comparing the two. Your post after it was the first one that began any comparison between the two and even that wasn't directly negative. I'm not seeing why there is a problem here at all.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,283 Posts
Ya'll know you can debate 2.5/3.6 in the 2.5/3.6 thread instead of it spilling it into every other thread right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts