Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have no experience with a 3.6 transmission, but I do remember that my 2009 Legacy had a sport mode that was activated by pushing it left after it was engaged and drive. Is it possible that you were putting yourself in advertently into sport mode and therefore creating a harsher shifting environment? I don’t know if the 2012 has paddle shifters with a five speed AT?

I have no experience with a 3.6 transmission, but I do remember that my 2009 Legacy had a sport mode that was activated by pushing it left after it was engaged and drive. Is it possible that you were putting yourself inadvertently into sport mode and therefore creating a harsher shifting environment?

I don’t know if the 2012 has paddle shifters with the five speed AT. If it does, uh, dunno. My Legacy I had to push the stick up or down to shift.

That being said, at the very least, could you ask them to reset the TCU and do a relearn? I believe there is a CVT relearn procedure that is located somewhere on the legacy forums. Maybe this will work for yours also.

·
Premium Member
15,916 Posts
I would love to at least test drive it and be able to do my own apples-to-apples comparison on the slushbox.
Which to this date is the very best AT I have ever owned. I have driven few better. I freaking love the 5EAT.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would indeed get SOA involved, and document every action / inaction along the way. Your dealership overfilled your ATF - strike one. Your dealership would not bother to perform a fresh reflash of your transmission firmware (which is a relatively quick and painless procedure and could go a long way towards resolving your issue, plus it would be the right thing to do from a customer satisfaction standpoint) - strike two.

Another case of a mediocre dealership that does not want to step up to the plate, and has proven to be careless when forced to do so. You need to get SOA involved.

I purchased our 2013 Outback specifically for the 3.6R / 5EAT combination. If it fails to live up to my expectations, you can bet that SOA will be hearing from me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have no experience with a 3.6 transmission, but I do remember that my 2009 Legacy had a sport mode that was activated by pushing it left after it was engaged and drive. Is it possible that you were putting yourself inadvertently into sport mode and therefore creating a harsher shifting environment?

I don’t know if the 2012 has paddle shifters with the five speed AT. If it does, uh, dunno. My Legacy I had to push the stick up or down to shift.

That being said, at the very least, could you ask them to reset the TCU and do a relearn? I believe there is a CVT relearn procedure that is located somewhere on the legacy forums. Maybe this will work for yours also.
The "sport" mode, which is really just a manual mode, is activated by moving the shift lever left from the D position. From there, you have to use the paddle shifters. No, I am talking about regular automatic mode in D.

There is a Learning Procedure called out right in the Factory Service Manual, which I have. It is very simple, all it takes is the super special Subaru computer.

Yeah, after I call SOA likely I will go back to the dealer to try to get the Learning procedure done. Remember though, I'm not looking to get milked on bills here, either. At $60/hr that Learning Procedure is probably at least a 1.0

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The "sport" mode, which is really just a manual mode, is activated by moving the shift lever left from the D position. From there, you have to use the paddle shifters. No, I am talking about regular automatic mode in D.

There is a Learning Procedure called out right in the Factory Service Manual, which I have. It is very simple, all it takes is the super special Subaru computer.

Yeah, after I call SOA likely I will go back to the dealer to try to get the Learning procedure done. Remember though, I'm not looking to get milked on bills here, either. At $60/hr that Learning Procedure is probably at least a 1.0
The sport mode USED TO be more aggressive shifting/downshifting dynamics. It wasn't in manual yet on my 09 Legacy. It only went into manual mode if you shifted up or down after putting it in "Sport"...

Thanks for the clarification.

Take it for what it's worth, use at your own risk... You could try this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reset-cvt-fuzzy-logic-procedure-253390.html

Please post back here with your results when you're done, either way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
that Learning Mode is for the CVT.

the FSM says the Learning Mode for the 5AT is something that has to be done with the Subaru computer connected to it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Refresh and update: my 5EAT hasn't been great, but been a little better. When I can, I try to use manual mode to make it hold in 2nd or 3rd gear and not kick back down after upshifting so much. It's annoying, just wish it were a manual. Most times this happens when I'm lugging a little bit, trying to slowly get up to 45-55 mph and trying for decent mileage (which this car doesn't get, either).

Anyways, last winter/spring when going through this, I spoke to SOA and then opened a claim. They were nice on the phone but said there wasn't anything they could really do since I was outside of the 60k powertrain warranty, even though I had been to the dealer well before the warranty ran out. I politely told them how long I've been a Subaru fanboy, how my family and friends have revolved around Subarus a lot in great part because of me, but that it would be my last if this trans falls apart and I'm left holding the bag.

I'm not terribly confident that the dealership would perform and document the Learning Procedure, and that my problem is most likely hydraulic in nature somewhere in the gearbox so it probably wouldn't solve it anyways.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Any update?

I started having similar issues, especially at low rpms, it's almost locking up, it started with an actual lock up and a flurry of transmission error codes

After some thinking, I think it's the Torque Converter, since there's some whining too (since my steering pump whines, it's really hard to listen to other whining)

I'm curious why you never concentrated on the Torque Converter yourself, if it's misbehaving, it could cause these issues too

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started getting weird behavior from the 4sp AT in my old '95 Ford Taurus: hard shifts, held some gears way longer than necessary, would pop in and out of O/D and T/C lockup during steady cruise, took longer than usual to get out of P into R or D, that sort of thing. Eventually I realized that the ATF level was extremely low, to the point where even the torque converter was nearly empty (I had misread the AT dipstick previously and continued driving normally thinking the level was fine); refilling it resolved all of those issues (took quite a bit of ATF, too). Maybe your 5EAT is running low on ATF and needs a refill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wife has the same car.And yes it does this after a short coast then get back on the gas.The car has 112k on it and has done this since it was new .Every 20k I pull the drain plug on the trans pan and then refill with 4 qts.I am an ase master technician and have 15 years of Ford dealer experience.My take on this-its a software problem in the ecm.There is nothing wrong with the hard parts on the car and any transmission installed will operate this way.The 3.6 car was a small minority of the cars built.Subaru missed this while they were doing the engine calibration.the #1 priority on the ecm calibration is for emissions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
So in your opinion, would a software/firmware patch resolve this issue on those vehicles which are affected?

By the way, I have never had a transmission issue on my 2013 3.6R, now at 51,200 miles. I did an ATF drain-and-fill at 30,000 miles using the specified Subaru ATF (it took 4.5 quarts) and will continue to do so every 30,000 miles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts