Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , lurking here for a while now . But now I want to ask since i couldn't find anything related, maybe someone had this exp. My 2011 Subaru 3.6 obo 76,000 miles I started to notice a search in gears over 45-60 mph. if I smooth the accell. pedal that's when its most apparent. If I just muscle through then no problems nor any kicks or slips. even when not going uphill but on relatively flat grade driving. Before i spend loads at Subaru stealership thought someone could chime in on this. Didn't want to go to the regular shop with this issue, or should I? thank you for any info .

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Engine RPM in regards to an automatic transmission is affected by what’s sensed for engine vacuum in order to determine when to shift: engine vacuum is a pretty good indicator of engine load.

If this is a recent change of behavior and not of you just recognizing an old behavior, then see if you can find an explanation as to why there’s a change: perhaps you’ve got a leak somewhere.

If you’ve got a vacuum leak in your system you can also expect it to negatively affect your gas mileage as well.

An amazingly important part of engine performance is the exhaust system: if that isn’t performing properly, your exhaust gases can’t escape properly and smoothly, and that will affect engine vacuum.

Finally, there’s the transmission itself and its internal sensors and mechanicals. A CVT doesn’t have any special gears to consider, though I wonder if it’s possible to wear certain areas to a different friction compared to the rest, causing unexpected seeking. Slipping would cause indecisive results as well. I notice on my car that light and heavy acceleration I can’t feel any perceptible artificial gear ratios, but Subaru has made it distinct at the middle loads for going to the artificial gear ratios, and I can’t help but think that having them and using them for day-to-day driving will wear down those narrow bands of the pulleys more than the rest, as having jerks applied to anything tends to stress things more. Also consider that there’s the torque converter to keep in mind: it is a hydraulic pump, and needs a consistent flow of fluid to make the connection. Perhaps you’re running low on transmission fluid.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
depending upon how this car is driven, 76,000 miles seems like about time for a trans fluid flush (subaru HP ATF fluid in this)

and it might be low on fluid now.

updated thread title to reflect the 3.6 5EAT (the best drive train combination the company ever made)

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The 2011 3.6R doesn not have a cvt. It has a 5EAT.

With that said, the tcu can be re-flashed and or reset by the dealer.

OR

You can contact this guy....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/146457-subaru-outback-3-6r-5eat-tuning-xtreme-racing-tuning.html

Providing there is nothing wrong with the trans, XRT can smooth her out. BTW, when was the last drain and fill done on the transmisson? What is the level and condition of the fluid.
I see the thread title has been updated. Which year first had CVTs? And did they not have them for 3.6 at first due to torque?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
I see the thread title has been updated. Which year first had CVTs? And did they not have them for 3.6 at first due to torque?
For the 2015 model year, the 5EAT was phased out. A high-torque CVT was developed for the WRX/STI. The 2015 3.6 OBs (most likely in the new Accent also) get this high-torque CVT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all and no tranny hasnt been flushed and refilled. Thats next on todo list. And it seems major important now, since this came up.after vacation....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, before drain and fill took it to dealership for diagnostics. Guy went out on the highway and returned back with a bad news, said trans. Had internal failure, replace rebuilt ~5000or new 6500 obo. Im shocked with 76000 miles. Nondetails were given as to what could be wrong. They said they checked trans oil and it looked good. Any resets of tcu needed. Or put up for sale?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a used trans for $1000 and a shop who’ll do it for $600 to install , a reputable subie shop. Another more viable option. Now should i or just drive and put a for sale on it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Cautiousdriver,
have you managed to solve your transmission problem?
I'm experiencing very similar problem on my 2012 3.6R Outback, it happens maybe once twice a day, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm pretty sure it's only when in 5th gear, more likely to happen when going uphill. Otherwise shifts pretty smooth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Cautiousdriver,

have you managed to solve your transmission problem?

I'm experiencing very similar problem on my 2012 3.6R Outback, it happens maybe once twice a day, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm pretty sure it's only when in 5th gear, more likely to happen when going uphill. Otherwise shifts pretty smooth.

So recently it was doing it again and somehow i kept gradual gas the more more and voila! 6 cylinder misfire had to change out spark plug which seemed ok but new coil had to be replaced. Problem seems gone so far. All it was , was a bad coil going bad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts