Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do for my first oil change on my new '13 OB 3.6 and I've stumbled onto a debate that seems almost as hot a topic as the 2.5 vs 3.6 debate. In all of my other vehicles I've mainly used WIX/NAPA Gold filters because they are readily available, fairly cheap, and seem to be good quality. However, while reading the many threads on which filter to use, synthetic vs conventional, oil change interval, etc. I found several references to the oil filter relief pressure. It seems that 2.5 engine requires a relief pressure of 23psi but I haven't been able to find a pressure for the 3.6. Does anyone know what is the recomended relief pressure for the 3.6 is and if there is a after market filter that fits that requirement?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
My dealer stated that the OEM filter for the 3.6L was around 23psi.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
There are only two important points to make in regards to oil and filters:

1. It doesn't matter. Use whatever oil filter you want (I prefer higher quality ones). The NAPA or WIX will serve you fine and will not be the deciding factor on whether the motor make 250,000 miles or not.

2. Many that post such a question will be the type to think it matters ("suspicion often creates what is suspects" C.S. Lewis) and should get the OEM Subaru filter, they are certainly a great fit. (future searcher of oil questions reading: get the Subaru filter and don't start another thread).

Why is there so much chatter and hype about oil and filters?

***Because everyone is right! (because it doesn't matter) Mix the internet with the impulse to be right and folks emphatically share their opinion (or more accurately regurgitate what they've read).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(future searcher of oil questions reading: get the Subaru filter and don't start another thread).
Isn't the whole point of this site to allow people to ask questions? If you don't like a thread don't read it and certainly don't reply to it.

Pretty common knowledge.
Really? So if I walk into my local NAPA and ask them what the relief pressure is for my OB they'll look at me like I'm an idiot and say "it's 23psi, duh"?

Thanks for the info though. Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just answer my initial question and spare me all the other BS?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts