Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Abyss Blue Pearl; Most of the Accessory Book
35 Posts
You are overfilling the oil in your vehicle. When changing oil and oil filter it's only 6.9 quarts.
I just changed my oil and filter in my 19 3.6R, added 6.9 Qts, and ran it 5 minutes or so to check for leaks. I shut it down, waited about 2 minutes to check it, and it shows halfway between the 2 dots on the dipstick. I'm going to let it sit overnight and check it.
That's probably why folks are prone to over-filling, assuming that 6.9 Qts is really correct for the later models. The manual is not absolute and says that "each quantity indicated is only a guideline. The necessary quantity for replacement may differ slightly depending on temperature and other factors." (OwnersManual page 12-4). What "Factors" will make it take more oil? That makes no sense to me.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,689 Posts
I just changed my oil and filter in my 19 3.6R, added 6.9 Qts, and ran it 5 minutes or so to check for leaks. I shut it down, waited about 2 minutes to check it, and it shows halfway between the 2 dots on the dipstick. I'm going to let it sit overnight and check it.
That's probably why folks are prone to over-filling, assuming that 6.9 Qts is really correct for the later models. The manual is not absolute and says that "each quantity indicated is only a guideline. The necessary quantity for replacement may differ slightly depending on temperature and other factors." (OwnersManual page 12-4). What "Factors" will make it take more oil? That makes no sense to me.
If you check overnight it will be higher.

For this reason I only put in enough to fill to the hallway mark. In the morning it will read full.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Abyss Blue Pearl; Most of the Accessory Book
35 Posts
If you check overnight it will be higher.

For this reason I only put in enough to fill to the hallway mark. In the morning it will read full.
Thanks! Mystery solved.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
349 Posts
Now that the vehicle sat overnight. What is it reading?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,550 Posts
Excessive oil consumption is a leading cause of cat failure. Syn v. Conventional has no bearing on cat life.

And while we're on the topic of oil, ignoring the dealer recommendation and the OM would be a very smart thing to do. Yes, internet commando v. the company who will warranty the car. I get all that and a bucket of popcorn too. Indulge me for a minute.

When the 3.6EZ engine was introduced in 2007, the API grade was SM. That lasted until 2011 when SN came out and thereafter, some very beneficial additions showed up in the new appeovals and they are ones that no conventional oil can touch.

In particular GM came out with Dexos1 followed by the still current and highly useful Dexis1Gen2. These were developed by GM to cut down on timing chain wear. That's a good thing in engines like ours and no cintentional oil meets this standard. They just can't get the oil to perform to that degree. I just checked the PYB site to confirm.

Additionally, in May 2020 the oil industry will adopt the GF6 standard and it's not clear that a conventional will meet it, at least not today. Pennzoil and Mobil are expressing confidence their current formulations meet it right now but not clear if it's only the syn oils that do.

Lastly, the ACEA spec that ought to get your attention is A5/B5. This is the European standard that's fairly new and it was designed for performance and efficiency. It's probably a better spec overall but the point is that no conventional meets it.

In short, for the few dollars saved with a conventional oil, you get one that is missing protection and performance standards that are generally considered to be very desirable across the industry.

There quite a few 5/30 oils that meet them.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
16 Posts
I
What do oil specs have anything to do with catalytic converter? My owner's manual states, "use oil with API rating of SM".
I believe that newer specs - sn, sn+ and sn RC - help to better protect out catalytic converters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hope I didn't necro this thread too hard. But I've been using WIX 51334XP & WIX 51334. Although their flow rate is listed at 9-11 gallons per minute, which leads one to believe past 3,200rpm part of the bypass valve is opening? As the FSM states 1.3gpm @ 14psi & 600rpm && 21.87gpm @ 57psi & 6,000rpm. Interesting. The Wix filters are $4 on rock auto (a popular car repair part website). I just do an order 1x every 2 years or so and put a bunch of air / oil filters / etc all in one box to cut shipping costs. Most OEM filters aren't super amazing. Either way, as long as you're getting the 40-micron pieces idk what else you can do so, OEM should be fine. Maybe someone else knows a better oil filter than Wix? I didn't see any gpm or bypass ratings for Amsoil or some of the other filters.

Also project farm a YouTuber has great videos on oil recommendations / oil playoffs. I got addicted to Amsoil unfortunately when I conducted a study on Tacoma rear differential temperatures years ago. But Pennzoil Ultra Platinum should be 97-99% of the benefit of Amsoil at less than 50% of the cost.

Edit (March 17, 2020): Spoke with a filter engineer and it's normal for the bypass valve to open partially or completely. This happens often during startup, higher rpms, and full-throttle. Also mentioned that filters can get clogged and probably need to be changed around the vehicle recommendation, even when the oil can go longer. This avoids clogging and more frequent bypass valve opening.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
948 Posts
getting ready to switch over to doing my own oil changes, prolly going to use the Kirkland 5W30 along with the Subaru OEM filter

41 - 51 of 51 Posts