Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Does your 3.6 burn oil between change intervals?

• No. Oil level stays the same for 7500 miles.

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Yes - but less than a quart.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • Yes - about a quart every 3,000 miles.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • Yes - about a quart or more every 1,500 miles.

Votes: 9 6.5%
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thanks for setting up this poll. I'll be taking a printout of the results to my dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
If anyone is actually burning a quart every 1500 miles it should be a powertrain warranty issue. One poster on one of the many oil consumption thread cited that rate, but no one has claimed it on the poll.

Adding 4 quarts during a 7.5k interval to me means that Subaru should have given the motor an 11 quart capacity.

Not sure where that 1500 mile quart consumption is mentioned in the manual as one poster noted, but if I was experiencing that it would be warranty time.

I can live with a quart in 3.5k - by the time I get to the 7 or 7.5k change I am adding back in almost 7 and have only consumed another quart max in the interim, so it works without hassle.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback Limited 3.6R Pearl White, Moonroof, Protection Package, Side Molding, Puddle Lights, interior lighting package and STI RASB
68 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and change every 5k, dipstick may be about 1/8 inch below full at that time. I was very carefull during break in and did my first change at 2800 miles. Currently 24k miles and the car runs and drives perfectly.

·
Registered
Not a Subaru
43 Posts
2011 3.6R
1 quart every 3,000

First Subaru I have owned and the first car I have owned that consumed oil to the point of having to add oil between service.

Previous vehicles:
Civic
Civic
Civic
CRV
Golf Diesel
Avalon
Avalon
FJ Cruiser

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
971 Posts
I have 76,000 miles on my 2010 3.6R, and I change the oil every 5,000 miles (a lot of highway driving), with regular dino-juice. By the time the 5,000 miles rolls around, it's down maybe a half a quart, roughly speaking. But I've never had to add oil in between changes.

To be honest, I'm not religious about checking the level right after getting fresh oil, so I'm assuming that the dealer fills it reasonable accurately.

I DO know that the vehicle needs to be on pretty level ground to get an accurate reading, which means I can't check it when parked in my driveway....

·
Registered
814 Posts
This doesn't help anyone in this thread but my 2011, 2.5i is at 28.9K miles right now, I am about 700 miles over my 7500 interval as I write this due to time constraints on getting to it. That said the car hasn't used a drop of oil, nor has it ever burned any since it had 20 miles on the clock new.

On the other hand, my 2011 Ford F-150 with 5.0L V8 has 19k Miles on it since new, I have been using full synthetic in it since changing out the factory dino oil at 1K miles just like my '11 Outback 2.5i and my truck burns 1 QT of oil every 1500 miles or so. Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less but quite alrming none the less.

Not sure if it is the case with the Subaru 3.6R engine, but on this particular V8 in my Ford truck the PCV valve returns oil from the crank case through a hose to the intake tract and this is where 5.0L V8 F-150 owners and 5.0L Mustang owners believe the oil consumption is coming from. There is an aftermarket outfit that makes an "Oil Catch Can" that installs in-line on this hose and some owners report that the oil buring has either stopped all together or greatly been reduced.

I would look to see if the 3.6R has this same stupid design where there is a vaccum hose that sucks oil from the crankcase and sends it back to the intake tract to be burned.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I wonder how much of the consumption is due to driving habits (high revs).

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm a very conservative driver and and rarely hit the high end on the tach yet still consume oil.

Engine braking on the down has taken my engine high on the tach many times and I am around 1 quart max in 3k (probably closer to .5-.75). That said, there have been a few changes where I didn't consume more that .5 in 5K. I have recently gone off warranty and on the synth so I have bumped my interval to 7k, but I will continue to monitor closely.

Like to know what is going on with the engines consuming more than 1 quart in 3k? Hope they post feedback.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
OM Pg.11-12… “If the oil consumption rate seems abnormally high after the break-in period, for example more than 1 quart per 1,200 miles or 1 liter per 2,000 kilometers, we recommend that you contact your SUBARU dealer.”
<O:p
6.25qts over 7500 miles, that would be a problem. Wait 6000 miles and put 5qts in, all you need thereafter is change filter.<O:p
Honda engines are high revving, and then some with how I drive my Accord, yet I add no oil betweens changes (at -1/8” full mark).<O:p

·
Registered
821 Posts
Everyone using 5w-30 in the 3.6? Curious if anyone is running lighter or heavier oil and wanted to bump the thread.

Reactions: jsherrillj

·
Registered
2010 Legacy LImited 3.6R
13 Posts
2011 3.6R
1 quart every 3,000

First Subaru I have owned and the first car I have owned that consumed oil to the point of having to add oil between service.
You might not have to add oil. The owner's manual explains the low oil warning light. It allows for considerable oil consumption before coming on. Based on that, it appears that the engine has considerable tolerance for variations in oil level.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted by tank fuzzbutt
2011 3.6R
1 quart every 3,000

You might not have to add oil. The owner's manual explains the low oil warning light. It allows for considerable oil consumption before coming on. Based on that, it appears that the engine has considerable tolerance for variations in oil level.
If Tanks Outback consuming a quart every 3,000 and the service interval is 7,500 the car will be over 2 quarts low. That's just not right.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy LImited 3.6R
13 Posts
Originally Posted by tank fuzzbutt
2011 3.6R
1 quart every 3,000

If Tanks Outback consuming a quart every 3,000 and the service interval is 7,500 the car will be over 2 quarts low. That's just not right.

You appear to be right. Here is what my car manual says on page 3-14, right hand column, last paragraph, for 3.6L models: "(Engine low oil level warning light) while the engine is running: approximately 5.6 US qt." That would allow the driver to drive about 4200 miles, assuming that the engine consumed one quart for every 1000 miles and that the engine actually holds seven quarts. On my car, it does, but not every car is the same. An example is my oil level dipstick markings, which are different than shown in the owner's manual for either the 2.5 or 3.6 liter engines.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
For what it's worth, mine doesn't consume any measurable amount. I checked last night as I'm due for service in 1500 miles and just got back from a 2000 mile road trip, it is still at the full mark. I'm a little over 14,400miles on the car now. BTW, most would say I drive it hard!

Using Subaru synthetic 5-30w changed at the dealer so far.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
I don't believe one should let the oil level get so low that the low oil warning lamp comes on. Like most other warning gauges, it's a failsafe and is not intended to replace regular maintenance. The oil level should not get below one quart low on the 3.6, IMHO.

·
Registered
2018, Outback Touring 3.6
41 Posts
I've had to put an extra quart in a couple of weeks ago. I have monitored the level, and can't tell how much it is losing. My wife drives it most of the time, which is easy. We use Mobil1 5w-30.

It doesn't seem right that you should have to put oil in, between changes. I have never seen the oil light come on, but the last time I checked it was below the bottom hole.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts