Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am driving a 2012 2.5 limited with no extras such as moon roof, navigation etc. Is it possible to get a 2018 3.6 like that? I really do not want the Eyesight/Navigation/starlink/Moonroof, etc. The dealers I have talked with say it is very hard to get, could take months, and noone has a model on the lot that is not loaded up with packages.

Also I can get a car through a VIP program, but the deal apparently is at "dealer invoice". Seems I might be able to do better than that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
Cheapest 3.6R is Limited with Starlink with no options. It does not come with Navigation + Eyesight + HBA + RAB etc.

MSRP is $36,300. Although it will be hard to find one that does not have at least popular package on it which is about $700-$800 extra.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
When I started shopping for mine I didn't want the Eyesite pkg. At that time I wasn't sure how all the options were packaged but I did want a Limited or so I thought. Like you said, here too the two dealers I spoke with said it'd be tough to find what I was looking for. They found one out of state but it was sold before we moved on it. I was thinking the Eyesite thing would be a total annoyance, going off all the time, setting off my radar detector, and being tough to live with. Well I got a fairly loaded up Limited (with pkg 23 I think) and some other stuff including Eyesite. The Eyesite is fine and easy to live with. I got the beeps turned down low and you can shut things off individually but I leave it all on. i like the little beep and visual alert I get when I drift a bit but I usually leave the lane correction part off even on the highway. But I've used it too and the little tug bringing you back into the lane is subtle and fine. The part where it tells you the car in front has moved from a stoplight, if you're not paying attention is sort of cool also. All and all I like it, more then expected not to mention the safety benefits. Moonroofs. I kind of like but don't use as much as I used to. I wasn't looking to skimp on things but don't usually over buy either. In the end it was easier to buy a loaded one and it'll probably be more desirable as a trade in when that day comes.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
68 Posts
I ordered my 3.6 with no options. It is perfect just the way it is. I have to laugh at the above response. I find it sad that we are making cars to help people stay focused on driving. If you need a reminder that traffic in front of you is moving, maybe you need to get your eyes off your phone and pay attention to the world around you.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Two heads are better than one as the expression goes. I may have an accident or something to the sides that as I driver I may need to be legitimately aware of. Having an extra set of eyes on the front ... I would not balk in any way any time of the day.

To each their own ...

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,171 Posts
It is a Package 21 Outback 3.6 Limited, model code is JDK-21. It is the rarest of Outbacks as Subaru only produces 7% of Outbacks with the 3.6 engine and the overwhelming majority of those are equipped with Eyesight. If there are none readily available than I would say to order one.

The dealership you are working with may not participate in the VIP program, many do not. I do not know where you are located but if you are within 200 miles of Indianapolis let me know as I would be happy to honor your participation in the VIP program and get the car you want for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Didn't they used to make 3.6R Outbacks in the Premium Trim? If memory serves me right you could get these in 2012 or 2013. Kinda off-topic I know but I miss the days of options like that.

But yeah, the dealer isn't pulling your leg. Those odd-ball packages are a rare sight these days. The good news is that, if you are picky and you know what you want, you can still order one out from Subaru. They're built in the US so order time isn't as long as say a Forester or WRX that are built in Japan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the Eyesight would be a useful add on, I agree. However I understand it does not work in bad weather like heavy rain and snow..... That is when you'd need it the most.

My dealer will honor VIP, I am just wondering if that is such a great deal--"invoice" as its supposed to be.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,171 Posts
Well the Eyesight would be a useful add on, I agree. However I understand it does not work in bad weather like heavy rain and snow..... That is when you'd need it the most.
It works just fine in rain and snow, I think one has to recognize the system's limitations and what to expect in various conditions without dismissing it because of said limitations.

My dealer will honor VIP, I am just wondering if that is such a great deal--"invoice" as its supposed to be.
I can tell you where to get a great deal but you will probably have to travel to get it and the expense of doing that will likely wipe out the difference you think you'll get in this perceived "better deal."

You could just buy the car under the VIP program and just be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
I’d also like a 3.6 Limited without Eyesight and NO moonroof. I realize it’s not available, but I’d like a “moonroof delete” option.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
That's one of several reasons why my wife and I chose Premium trim.

I also chose Premium on my last OB in 2011. This time I wanted the Limited.

It really should be an option, even if it doesn’t reduce and price and does require a factory order, I’d still chose this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You could just bolt a square of plywood over the moon roof.

Seriously though I never use a moon/sunroof seems like all they're good for is eventually leaking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand it does not work in bad weather like heavy rain and snow..... That is when you'd need it the most.
It takes quite a bit of bad weather to kick EyeSight out. If EyeSight can't see, you usually can't see very well either. I'd pull over and wait it out if that's the case, regardless of what kind of driver assist technology is on the vehicle.

Honestly, if I can't get a vehicle in a Manual Transmission and have to go with an Automatic (in the case of all Outbacks 2015+) I'd rather have the EyeSight along with it. There have been several trips I've taken in my manual Subie where I thought "Man, it'd be awesome to have that Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist right about now."

Any sort of discount you can get on a Subaru is good for ya, but the crazier consumers go with demands on discounts, the more it starts to chip away at the resale value we also demand from these cars. It works both ways.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I’d also like a 3.6 Limited without Eyesight and NO moonroof. I realize it’s not available, but I’d like a “moonroof delete” option.
That is the biggest reason I did not buy a Limited. Seems pretty much all auto makers seem to believe everyone wants a hole got in their roof.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
During my road trips, the Eyesight stopped working during torrential thunderstorms. However, the period of time that it did not work was relatively brief, about a minute or so IIRC. Thus far, my Eyesight has not stopped working during snowstorms. This included one snowstorm that closed Interstate 5 behind me.

Since I was already north of Redding CA where they closed the Interstate, I just kept on going north. More importantly, the three chain checkpoints I came across before I got into Oregon simply waved me through when they saw my vehicle was an Outback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts