Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.6 radiator fan broke - down for over a week, SoA useless

Just dropped off my 2017 3.6 Outback to the dealer. Car had been stinking for a week, smelled like burning plastic/rubber, figured we had just got a plastic bag on the exhaust, but it didn't go away like that normally does.
I poked around, and found the passenger side radiator fan broke off its shaft and was loose, and would lean onto the radiator.
The relay for the fan was also insanely hot, and either the fan melting on the radiator, or the relay, were the source of the stank.

Dealer said the part is weeks backordered, so I'm stuck in a loaner until then - he alluded that because such a simple part was so far backordered, this may be a wider problem. Anyone else hear of this issue?

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru SUS
841 Posts
I saw one fan last week causing a bad vibration, we had one in stock to replace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus... just called a call from Wentworth (the Subaru dealer), and they said the fan parts are backordered until July...
Car could be in the shop for more than a month, just because of a radiator fan?

Should I uhhh... lemon law it? It's only got 9k miles =/

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Jesus... just called a call from Wentworth (the Subaru dealer), and they said the fan parts are backordered until July...
Car could be in the shop for more than a month, just because of a radiator fan?

Should I uhhh... lemon law it? It's only got 9k miles =/
Depends on the specifics of your state's lemon law. Most require you to give the dealer an opportunity to repair the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the specifics of your state's lemon law. Most require you to give the dealer an opportunity to repair the vehicle.
Yahh.... sigh
I should just find a 3rd party fan and do it myself... but they are reluctant to even have me drive the car right now, being all coy.
It still has 1 functional fan - I shouldn't even have taken it in, probably a <1hr job to replace the fan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still waiting on dealer and SoA to figure this mess out. SoA is literally useless, they just say "we'll give you an update in 7 days", meanwhile I'm making payments on the car, insurance, and extended warranty service - on a car they are unable to to warranty work on.

Really second guessing staying with Subaru after all these years.... have spent $100k on new Outbacks since 2013 - and service is always Subaru's weak point; dealers, parts, and SoA have a dysfunctional network.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
262 Posts
skullone... you could look at it as you are not putting miles on your car and given that it is under warranty, you are likely driving a loaner car. I would see if they are able to give you an Ascent loaner given that your car is going to be out of commission for a while. Otherwise you could likely try to get a 2018 Outback that has Apple Carplay and Android Auto, with the LED steering responsive light.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,600 Posts
Yahh.... sigh
I should just find a 3rd party fan and do it myself... but they are reluctant to even have me drive the car right now, being all coy.
It still has 1 functional fan - I shouldn't even have taken it in, probably a <1hr job to replace the fan

Get the third party fan, have your car towed back, and do it yourself. For warranty purposes, get it in writing how long the part will take. That wait is unreasonable.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,161 Posts
Get the third party fan, have your car towed back, and do it yourself. For warranty purposes, get it in writing how long the part will take. That wait is unreasonable.
If the part is the same as a 2018 OB, ask them take a part off an in-stock car.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,007 Posts
What @nene503 said.

Any mile you are driving their car is one mile less for your own. And you are probably getting a loaner that is representative of what you were driving, at a cost of zero (other than fuel costs, and keeping you own insurance current) - if not, remedy this.

So what's the issue?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
861 Posts
Anytime I can drive a free car I take it. Your car will depreciate whether it's driven or not and the miles just add to that. Might as well put the miles on someone else's car. Unless of course your loaner is not comparable with your car, I don't see it as a big deal.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yes, the loaner is on their dime. However, nobody cares about my car more than me. I see how the techs wheel around cars at my local dealer. Also, some tech might not appreciate the problem with the car and might decide to take it for a quick spin. It is not like somebody is at the dealership guarding your car full time. In the condition of your car, that little bit of driving could amount to years of wear. Or they might need a part and decide to use YOUR car for the part with plans to replace the part later.

After all, they know they are losing money by letting you use their loaner. They might as well get their money’s worth too. What are some good quotes here:
“Nothing is free.”
“For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.”
Etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean, the loaner is a base model, 2.5 Outback. I had a loaded 3.6 Outback.
Also have a tow hitch and bike rack gear, and this is the 3rd weekend I can't haul my toys around. I highly doubt they'd move my tow hitch and wiring, and bike rack over.
Plus, I'm paying a premium, to drive a base model around for a month or two. Have my dashcam wired in the other car, the new radio is worse (the 2017, despite its bugs, is better than the 2018 radio).

And anyways - 1 to 2 months to repair a radiator fan is insane.... my car is depreciating regardless, a few hundred miles over the course of ownership, because I drove a shitty loaner for a week, is doing nothing to save me money

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Also have a tow hitch and bike rack gear, and this is the 3rd weekend I can't haul my toys around. I highly doubt they'd move my tow hitch and wiring, and bike rack over.
Plus, I'm paying a premium, to drive a base model around for a month or two. Have my dashcam wired in the other car, the new radio is worse (the 2017, despite its bugs, is better than the 2018 radio).

And anyways - 1 to 2 months to repair a radiator fan is insane.... my car is depreciating regardless, a few hundred miles over the course of ownership, because I drove a shitty loaner for a week, is doing nothing to save me money

You should get the part and do it yourself. There is nothing magical about what dealers do. You could keep the receipt and send a bill to SOA.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
67 Posts
Tell them to pull the fan off of the loaner you are using and install in your car.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,161 Posts
Tell them to pull the fan off of the loaner you are using and install in your car.
I stated this earlier. If there is not significant labor involved. They should do it for you.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts

Must be all that extra power from the mighty 3.6 that caused the damage ;)

Kidding aside, I would work on SOA to get you in a 2018 3.6R to replace yours. They will swap everything over if you are persuasive enough. A few years ago I had a new Mazda 3 in for its first oil change and the dealer crashed it into a Porsche right in front of me...needless to say me or the guy with the Porsche were very unhappy and ended up with brand new vehicles after negotiations. And they switched over all my accessories and hitch and bike rack.

2 month repair time is totally unacceptable for a new car with $9,000 miles on it. Only threaten Lemon Law as a last resort, most companies will try to work out a deal before going that route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the car back today, said it was repaired - but only 5 minutes from the dealer, burning smell came into the cabin, and now A/C doesnt work (its almost 90 degrees out).
I pulled over and popped the hood, lo and behold, radiator fan is still broken and still jammed in the same position into the radiator itself.

This will be fun :\

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Got the car back today, said it was repaired - but only 5 minutes from the dealer, burning smell came into the cabin, and now A/C doesnt work (its almost 90 degrees out).
I pulled over and popped the hood, lo and behold, radiator fan is still broken and still jammed in the same position into the radiator itself.

This will be fun :\
Did you pop the hood and examine things before driving away from the dealer? Don’t take it back to that dealer. I doubt you will listen, but you are at least keeping us updated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts