Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
531 Posts
Got the car back today, said it was repaired - but only 5 minutes from the dealer, burning smell came into the cabin, and now A/C doesnt work (its almost 90 degrees out).
I pulled over and popped the hood, lo and behold, radiator fan is still broken and still jammed in the same position into the radiator itself.

This will be fun :\

That is unacceptable. Unless, they did repair it but the problem which caused it to fail the first time still exists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you pop the hood and examine things before driving away from the dealer? Don’t take it back to that dealer. I doubt you will listen, but you are at least keeping us updated.
Why would you doubt I'd listen? Sadly, this dealer is right downtown, and less than 15 minutes from work. The others are out in the burbs, and are going to be a pain to get to.
But depending what they say tomorrow, chances are I'll never go back to that place... it is just instantly obvious the fan is broken, not sure how they could miss it, and claim they repaired it, after waiting nearly a month for the part :p
The fan is literally hanging out of the shroud, and partially melted to the radiator, I'm amazed they pulled this.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Did you pop the hood and examine things before driving away from the dealer?
I have the same question. No way I would have left the lot without taking a peek under the hood.

Could be the work was done and there was another occurrence of whatever caused the original failure.

Would be interesting to see a copy of the service order.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
593 Posts
Some of these episodes where a problem is not fixed but the car is returned to the owner, only to send the car back to the dealership to REALLY do the work sounds like a scam.

It is as if some dealerships are committing fraud on SOA by double-billing for the parts and labor on warranty repairs.

If the invoice you were provided shows that parts were used, then it begs the question, where did those parts go? The second time you take the car in for the same repair they fill out a SECOND invoice that shows the parts but this time they actually do install them.

Getting a complete service history from SOA on what was done to a car would be really interesting. It might show double-billing back to SOA for parts and service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had a "melted" radiator fan on my 2018 3.6R. The smell made me really sick. Groove Subaru did not balk at all loaning me an Ascent for 3 days, obtaining and replacing the necessary parts (fan, motor, shroud, etc.). Apparently, there is a new screw kit to prevent this from happening. The smell is still present and still makes me ill...not too sure how to get rid of it. If the hood seal next to the cabin air inlet is that bad, it makes me wonder what I breathe during normal operation. I know when plastics melt any number of things can be generated, including phosgene gas which can cause pulmonary edema and even kill. I'm going to enter my specifics at the NHTSA

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
119 Posts
Just had a "melted" radiator fan on my 2018 3.6R. The smell made me really sick. Groove Subaru did not balk at all loaning me an Ascent for 3 days, obtaining and replacing the necessary parts (fan, motor, shroud, etc.). Apparently, there is a new screw kit to prevent this from happening. The smell is still present and still makes me ill...not too sure how to get rid of it. If the hood seal next to the cabin air inlet is that bad, it makes me wonder what I breathe during normal operation. I know when plastics melt any number of things can be generated, including phosgene gas which can cause pulmonary edema and even kill. I'm going to enter my specifics at the NHTSA
Can you get the dealer or SOA to pay for an ozone odor elimination treatment?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
59 Posts
Just had a "melted" radiator fan on my 2018 3.6R. The smell made me really sick. The smell is still present and still makes me ill...not too sure how to get rid of it. If the hood seal next to the cabin air inlet is that bad, it makes me wonder what I breathe during normal operation. I know when plastics melt any number of things can be generated, including phosgene gas which can cause pulmonary edema and even kill. I'm going to enter my specifics at the NHTSA
Working in an industry that makes plastic automotive components, I would not worry about being killed from the smell :). The part is likely PA66 with glass fiber reinforcement which smells like burning hair ( a lot of it), or polypropylene which has more of your standard burning smell lol. Any amount of volatiles you might be breathing in from this occurance are a non-factor to your overall well being. As AvidHiker mentioned, I would try to have the air filter replaced to fix the issue. It may just take some time for the smell to go away on its own.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
184 Posts
This just happened to my 2016 3.6 Outback with about 85k on the odometer. The passenger side plastic fan is separated from its motor and leaning on the radiator. It must have punctured the radiator, because there is coolant around the area and underneath (the coolant smell is what alerted me to the issue.) Ugh. Guess I'll bring it to the dealership. Wonder how much it will take to repair? Radiator and fan, plus labor and who knows how much more????

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
240 Posts
Jesus... just called a call from Wentworth (the Subaru dealer), and they said the fan parts are backordered until July...
Car could be in the shop for more than a month, just because of a radiator fan?

Should I uhhh... lemon law it? It's only got 9k miles =/
I think lemon laws mostly specify if the car has been back for warranty service several times and the issue has no been resolved over the span of months.

·
Registered
‘16 Outback, 3.6R
10 Posts
This just happened to my 2016 3.6 Outback with about 85k on the odometer. The passenger side plastic fan is separated from its motor and leaning on the radiator. It must have punctured the radiator, because there is coolant around the area and underneath (the coolant smell is what alerted me to the issue.) Ugh. Guess I'll bring it to the dealership. Wonder how much it will take to repair? Radiator and fan, plus labor and who knows how much more????
Just had my ‘16 3.6 OB diagnosed with the fan dangling. No radiator damage but, fan, motor all toast. $800. Someone mentioned a new screw kit? Anyone know a part #?

·
Registered
‘16 Outback, 3.6R
10 Posts
Pa
Part # for the screw kit? Thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts