Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 2011 Outback 3.6R with 110k miles. A couple of months ago (~2,000 miles?) it developed a noise from the engine that makes it sound like a diesel. Basically it's a soft "tick" (not a metallic one), or maybe more of a "chh chh chh" sound that is timed to engine speed. You can only hear it when stationary and at idle -- when the car gets moving the sound gets drowned out.

The noise developed over 2 or 3 days and probably just 100 miles, and hasn't changed since.

I've taken it to the dealer. They can't hear it while at the same time saying it's the injectors / it's normal. (Begs the question that if you can't hear it how do you know what it is...)

30 years ago I had an old car that had a similar sounding noise coming through the radio from the electrical system -- all it needed was a filter. This isn't that - this new noise is present with the radio off, and also with the climate control fan off.

We're in Colorado, run the regular 85 octane and I haven't tried anything else. Engine and transmission oil levels are fine, although the car is about due for an oil change.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Toby.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,150 Posts
Exhaust Leak?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
the car will run briefly with the accessory belt off - try that.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
470 Posts
I would grab a length of heater hose or some tubing and CAREFULLY try to locate where in the engine compartment it's coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts