Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the 2.5 top mount oil filter. I am thinking of retrofitting it to my 3.6. The location I'm thinking is where the power steering pump bracket is.

Since the Gen 5 has electric steering there is just the bracket there with nothing in it. I am thinking I can just use that space and mount the adapter there

Link to adapter I'm considering

Adapter I'm planning on using, get some braided lines, and I'm done. I could either leave the 3.6 cover off or cut a hole in it so it wouldn't need to be removed.

Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Interesting idea. I haven't had my OB long enough to even open the hood :), so I haven't seen where the filter is currently located. I changed the oil in my daughter's GTI over the weekend and that engine has the filter on top. I also noticed that it has a different mounting than most filters I've changed before. And since it didn't dump a bunch of oil when I removed it I assume it contains a check valve to hold the oil inside.

What filter would you end up using with such an arrangement? Would the standard Subaru filter work, our would you need a filter designed to be positioned on top, like the GTI filter is? I'm just considering the potential mess when you remove the filter.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,109 Posts
Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing?
On several other cars, yes, but not on a Subaru.

Be especially careful about flow restriction (i.e. pressure drop) in the remote plumbing. The oil systems in current Subaru engines have higher than usual flow volumes, in part due to their variable valve timing actuators. Use large diameter hoses, and be particularly careful to minimize flow restriction in fittings. One rule of thumb is that each 90-degree elbow has the same flow restriction as several (up to 10) feet of hose.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Bye bye Warrantee!!!!!! The oil comes out the bottom....yes??? You have to get down under anyway. For me it's twice per year. No biggie. I wouldn't give two thoughts to moving the filter.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On several other cars, yes, but not on a Subaru.

Be especially careful about flow restriction (i.e. pressure drop) in the remote plumbing. The oil systems in current Subaru engines have higher than usual flow volumes, in part due to their variable valve timing actuators. Use large diameter hoses, and be particularly careful to minimize flow restriction in fittings. One rule of thumb is that each 90-degree elbow has the same flow restriction as several (up to 10) feet of hose.
How large? 1/4? 1/8? 1/2?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Without doing any real analysis: I wouldn't go any smaller than 1/2 inch, and 5/8 probably wouldn't be too large.

FWIW: As a design point, the 3.6 oil system is rated at ~22 gallons per minute at 6,000 rpm. (Source: 2015 Legacy/Outback FSM) So even at a modest 2,000 rpm the oil system will be flowing ~7.3 gallons per minute, and the plumbing for a remote oil filter mount needs to be able to handle that flow rate ... hot or cold ... with minimum restriction.

Edit: The adapter being considered is equipped with AN10 fittings, so 5/8 hose would be the appropriate matching size.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like the 2.5i oil filter topside up front too

May sound odd but we went with the 2.5i in part, because of the highly desirable oil filter location... Hate dealing with a messy used oil filter, while under the vehicle too. :grin2:

I miss the 2.5 top mount oil filter....

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
648 Posts
I briefly considered changing my own oil again when I found out about the siphon sucking method of removing oil from an engine.

Then I found out the oil filter was under the 3.6 engine and that killed that consideration.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,156 Posts
The 3.6 filter is definitely in a pretty irritating position, and difficult to manage cleanly through the splash guard, but I'm not that brave. ;) I used to use a form-a-funnel to divert the oil into a pan, which works well, but now I just use a 1/2 gallon milk jug (cut away one side) to catch the filter and oil at the same time. No more mess.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
Thats an awesome idea! But I would be very interested to know how it affects the motor long term or if there wouldn't be any change. Thats a little bit of the distance for the oil to travel. I wouldn't think that the oil would drain out of the hose because of the stopper in the oil filter... but I don't know these problems.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
I was going to keep my opinion inside until somebody said this is awesome...

If you are going to void the warranty, at least do it with something cool like a lift. Subaru knows having the oil filter on top of engine is more desirable. They have it in their H4, which is an older engine than the current iteration of the H6. They obviously put the oil filter down below on the H6 for a reason. Potentially changing the performance and longevity of your engine merely to add a little convenience is a bad idea. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
May sound odd but we went with the 2.5i in part, because of the highly desirable oil filter location... Hate dealing with a messy used oil filter, while under the vehicle too. :grin2:
And I am sure shops don't like dealing with it either, which is why a shop completely screwed up the filter connection and the oil pan threads on my Ford Escape 2002. The worst part is that there is no easy way to prove the damage was caused by the shop. My only realistic recourse is to stop giving that shop my business. Meanwhile, I am stuck with an oil pan than needs to be replaced.

This is why I do all oil changes on all my cars, even if the dealer offers "free" oil changes.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My warranty is already likely to be denied for the drive train due to the lift.

It's likely to be denied on the transmission because of the eternal cooler I installed.

Beyond that, how much trouble does the 3.6 really have?

It's just a DOHC gas engine. Not rocket science.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
info for this unit shows using AN10 fittings/hose. It's ID is slightly more than 1/2 in. Unless you are locating to the back of the car, should be fine. As far as the engine cover I'd assume it's function is cosmetic. The wife's SRX has/had a cover that GM called "fuel injection sight shield". I removed it for some forgotten reason and left it off using the unproven reasoning that more air over the engine would make it run a fraction of a degree cooler. It's been that way for several years with no known ill effects.
BTW what appears to be the same remote kit is on ebay for $27.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
info for this unit shows using AN10 fittings/hose. It's ID is slightly more than 1/2 in.
AN10 corresponds to a nominal tube/hose size of 10/16 = 5/8 inch. As you state, a nominal 5/8 hose will have an I.D. of around 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
Interesting idea. I haven't had my OB long enough to even open the hood :), so I haven't seen where the filter is currently located.
:surprise:The horror!

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
There are kits for remote oil filter placement. Usually, come with a high priced super duper filter of some special filtering function. Although its intriguing to consider, my days of plopping money in cars trying to get them faster, better, cooler, have passed me by.
IIRC Canton has some good stuff.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
None yet. I'm back to working on the TPMS system but should come back to this.

In good news the shake is finally gone.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
There are kits for remote oil filter placement. Usually, come with a high priced super duper filter of some special filtering function. Although its intriguing to consider, my days of plopping money in cars trying to get them faster, better, cooler, have passed me by.
IIRC Canton has some good stuff.
Not true.

Summit sells a universal kit (without hoses/with fittings) for $35. Use the regular filter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts