Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity does anyone know why the 3.6 initial oil change is recommended at 3k but the 2.5 is 7,500k ?

I was thinking of having my 2.5 done at 3k and again at 7.5k then normal 5-6k intervals after that. Am I being over cautious?

I did my previous vehicle (V8 Jeep) every 5k with synthetic so 7.5k feels very weird to me.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,199 Posts
I think the 3.6 comes from the factory with conventional oil but synth is required in the 2.5

your proposed schedule doesn't seem 'overly' cautious to me. However, I'm not sure the first interval being 'short' would be viewed as violating the warranty or not. seems unlikely.

·
Premium Member
"Betty Drivemeanywhere" aka 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 AT CVT Ltd w/ Eyesight
49 Posts
2013 OB 2.5 Owner Who Did Initial Oil Change at 3K

I got my oil changed at 3,750 miles, even though I have a 2013 OB 2.5. I think that the engine-break-in oil is probably better being replaced sooner than later, synth or not.

Just my $0.02.

lambanlaa

·
Registered
557 Posts
when i bought my '12 2.5 outback last year in feb i was told to bring it back after approx. 3500 miles for the first oil change and then go to a 7500 mile interval.

i was also "given" a 2 year / 24k mile maintenance package at the time of purchase.

i found out that package included the use of synthetic oil.

so, even though the chart in the service advisor's office from subaru says my '12 uses conventional oil... my outback is now using synthetic.

and, i will continue with the 7500 mile interval between oil changes.

joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts