Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating possibly trying Amsoil in my 3.6CVT. Still has the extended warranty until 160,000km. My closest dealer tells me that the car needs to be hooked to a computer to reset the TCM to run at optimum performance. This is the first i have heard of this. Any insight ? Also i have seen a few different techniques from dropping twice and filling and also pumping from the top of CVT. How many liters and what's the best technique ? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
My preferred technique is to drive to the shop and hand the keys over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
You would be foolish to (1) Try this yourself and (2) To use anything other than Subaru branded fluid. There are dozens of threads on this forum on this exact topic. There is also at least one case where the owner mistakenly thought he was draining the trans fluid (he was really draining the motor oil,) then added the trans fluid to the engine and damaged his engine and CVT.

Its beyond me how Amsoil claims they have CVT fluid for Subaru when Subaru never published the spec.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! That's Subaru's recommendation, too. (i.e. Subaru recommends no fluid change at all unless your Outbnack is used for "repeated trailer towing.")

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been pulling wrenches for decades. Ill do it myself. Just curious about the TCM and fluid capacity in a single or double drain and fill technique.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Ive been pulling wrenches for decades. Ill do it myself. Just curious about the TCM and fluid capacity in a single or double drain and fill technique.
There are some discussion threads on it with capacities (what people actually used).

The TCM reset, have not seen that anywhere. Don’t recall that from the service manual either. You do need to monitor the temperature of the fluid when filling to get the correct level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer claims a fluid change every 100,000km here in Calgary Canada. First i heard about the TCM today. Ive read many threads and its really a personal preference. Some claim all types of different fluids to use. Im not much of a “only the mfg has the only fluid that will“ work believer. Redline and Amsoil have been making fluids of good quality. Is kind of like the Duramax Allison debates Transynd only or else back in the day. $400 to drop 4-6L isnt really cost effective imo. Its a Subaru.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Sounds like you had your mind already made up even before you started this thread. Your car, your choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually i hadnt. It wasnt started as a should i or shouldnt i. Just wanted to know about TCM and capacity with certain technique. Its very easy to do. Just a little time.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,989 Posts
I'd request they provide a reference for whatever they're claiming needs to be done with the TCM - plenty of folks have done CVT fluid changes here and, according to Subaru's FSM, you just need the proper OBD tool that can show you the actual transmission temperature. In fact, you should get a copy of the FSM anyway if you're planing to DIY, that way you can see for yourself. Considering the cost of a replacement, I see no reason to use anything other than the HT-CVT fluid (orange) from Subaru. Subaru has at least 4 different formulations of CVT fluid for the various versions and, in the few things I've seen published, they're very insistent that the proper fluid be used - if it made no difference, do you really think they'd want to complicate things like that? This is not ATF (which in many cases I've happily used aftermarket).

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
941 Posts
Let’s see save $400 or crap out or possibly spend $7,000 on a new CVT? That’s a tough one. 🤔

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
607 Posts
Wow...you sure attracted a lot of unhelpful, useless posts.

(including this one!)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wow...you sure attracted a lot of unhelpful, useless posts.

(including this one!)
I disagree, OP asked for advice on how to do something not recommended by Subaru. Hopefully he will read about the many disasters of changing the CVT fluid. Or he may go with his instincts and report back one day on his CVT success story and we all may learn something.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
607 Posts
I disagree, OP asked for advice on how to do something not recommended by Subaru. Hopefully he will read about the many disasters of changing the CVT fluid. Or he may go with his instincts and report back one day on his CVT success story and we all may learn something.
I wasn't aware you were intimately familiar with the OP's mechanical abilities.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
228 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,989 Posts
Oh my. Unhelpful, useless posts. Ok. Considering (AFAIK) nobody has yet posted a DIY for the Gen 5 3.6R (although it's probably the same or similar to the original TR690), I think we're doing ok. All the posts seem to me to be well-intentioned (and it's 100% true that there is no service interval for vehicles that don't see frequent towing). There's certainly no shortage of posts and videos for the CVT in the 2.5, but I'm not sure how applicable they are. Although, the methods and fluid volumes used could be in the ballpark, and the extent of flushing is obviously just personal preference (I'm afraid you'll never be able to prove that 3 drain and fills are better than one).

Anyway, there's really not much mechanical ability required to get this job done, but there are numerous posts from folks that have screwed it up. The OP doesn't even appear to have consulted the FSM (which hasn't guaranteed success for everyone in this job, but it's the best reference). Hence the cautious replies.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,989 Posts
The OP might also consider searching or inquiring elsewhere since I believe the 2014-2018 Forester XT and 2015+ WRX share the same high-torque variant of the TR690. Not sure where this procedure comes from, but here's what one guy did (who makes the common mistake of misinterpreting the warranty & maintenance booklet):

That thread also mentions how many dealerships shy away from this service.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The OP might also consider searching or inquiring elsewhere since I believe the 2014-2018 Forester XT and 2015+ WRX share the same high-torque variant of the TR690. Not sure where this procedure comes from, but here's what one guy did (who makes the common mistake of misinterpreting the warranty & maintenance booklet):

That thread also mentions how many dealerships shy away from this service.
I wouldn’t follow what that person did. The pickup screen is not the same as the transmission filter. You have to separate the transmission case to replace the filter. Neither is to be replaced unless there is a problem.

It should be a standard drain and fill (per the FSM).

I think the procedure there on the forester forum is taken from the handout PDF from ATRA (automatic transmission rebuilders association). It has you removing the pan and replacing the pickup screen on both the TR690 and TR580 (they call it a filter, it is not).

·
Registered
383 Posts
OP may be a rocket scientist. It really does not matter. He would be going against Subaru's recommendations. Try going to the dealer with a CVT problem and telling them you change the CVT fluid yourself and you used Amsoil. Let me guess how fast they show you the door.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh my. Unhelpful, useless posts. Ok. Considering (AFAIK) nobody has yet posted a DIY for the Gen 5 3.6R (although it's probably the same or similar to the original TR690), I think we're doing ok. All the posts seem to me to be well-intentioned (and it's 100% true that there is no service interval for vehicles that don't see frequent towing). There's certainly no shortage of posts and videos for the CVT in the 2.5, but I'm not sure how applicable they are. Although, the methods and fluid volumes used could be in the ballpark, and the extent of flushing is obviously just personal preference (I'm afraid you'll never be able to prove that 3 drain and fills are better than one).

Anyway, there's really not much mechanical ability required to get this job done, but there are numerous posts from folks that have screwed it up. The OP doesn't even appear to have consulted the FSM (which hasn't guaranteed success for everyone in this job, but it's the best reference). Hence the cautious replies.
That's is precisely my point.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts