Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had my 3.6R, my oil level light (the light that comes on when parked at a very slight incline) would periodically come on even when it was new only 2000 km. I put in some oil and it goes away. Sometimes when the oil heats up, and levels, the lite goes out

After oil service, it comes back again after 4000 km so is the synthetic oil being burned off that fast in these 3.6R?

The dealership said this is common with synthetic

My reg oil service is supposed to be 10000 km now on the new Subs but I do not like having to top up regularly if there may be a more serious issue ie burning oil or leaks

I do not have signs of leaks where I park

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Oil light SHOULD NOT be used for oil level indicator. When it comes on, you're already too low. You're using oil somewhere, and a quart over 4000 km is an awful lot for a new car. Could be the early low oil caused damage, sorry to say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the level lite when the car is on a hill/incline and oil pan is tilted, not the low oil lite

The oil when warmed and driving on level road cancels the lite

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The dealership said this is common with synthetic
Hahahhaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa! :21:

It's the level lite when the car is on a hill/incline and oil pan is tilted, not the low oil lite

The oil when warmed and driving on level road cancels the lite
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never heard of a "level on hill oil light" and I think you have the wrong info. If your light is coming on it's bad and there is no other way to think about it. If this is something new for 2013 (which I'm 99% sure it's not) then please show us a picture so we all can be better informed.

I'm betting someone lied to you, especially with the previous comment about synthetic oil.

My advice is go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Synthetic oil can find all types of places to leak out. I don't know where you park but are you sure there are no leaks anywhere? I have run synthetic oil in my new cars and so far (knock on wood) have not had to add oil between scheduled oil changes. I did have an older car once with about 50k miles on it and tried to shift to synthetic and it started leaking oil. It was still not leaking as much as you indicate but it was making my driveway a mess. I shifted back to non-synthetic and eventually it stopped leaking but it took a while. I hate idiot lights but that is what we have now days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2010 3.6's oil light "on" during hill descents

Hello, my car also has lit the **** thing whenever I was climbind down some hilss back home, hot day or not, warm engine or not, then I called the dealer (first time it happened car was not even licensed, brand new, less than a week of use) who said they'd look through when I bring for first maitenance - now more than 20 K miles ran, than became recurring these days, oil is not low - what the heck? Any oil passage could be clogged? besides, they never really inspected it during any of the 5 maintenance checks, of course;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
djorge
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing