Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to drive a 3.6R, though briefly. The mantra that its a different car, at least to me, is true. No straining, revving, much quieter and smoother, more refined, etc. I'm not sure I could ever be happy with a 2.5. I'd rather just push the accelerator than do calculus to see if I have enough room to pass someone or merge without being trampled. Again, Im not the typical Subaru customer, and I don't really care if that makes me a meathead. This car is an alternative to a 4x4 for me. I dont rock crawl. I do soft road and beach fish.

Anyway - without this deteriorating into another 2.5 v 3.6 cage match, Is anyone using the 3.6R as an intermediate range commuter?

My drive is 29 miles one way. 75% rural highway with the occasional stop light every 5-7 miles, 25% cage match interstate. In the AM, I rarely stop (this AM I got 49 mpg in my tdi). Im up before the masses, and at work before they are on the road. Evening, Im not so lucky. 25% of the ride is congested heavily, the last 75% is moderate, and usually OK, though I will get hung at a couple lights.

What are the thoughts of the hive on longevity of the 3.6 as a 60 mile a day commuter? Part of the NA equation for me is 150-200K of reliable service without stupid issues from the engine and CVT.

A friend has a 2012 2.5R with 150k on it thats never seen a major issue. Another had an 07 2.5 that dropped a rod at 120K.

I know the economy won't be as good. That will probably be tough to swallow, but easier to swallow than a car that refuses to move at the pace I want it to. If anyone is using a 3.6 in this manner, what are your thoughts? Until recently I thought the 3.6 outback was too big, too much car for this job that a corolla (or some such other commuter econo box) would do - but the more I think about it, safety features, comfort and a larger, stronger engine and tranny may play positively into the equation.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
You will be sorely disappointed in the 3.6 in the MPG category, especially if you're coming from a VW TDI. Expect mileage in the low 20's with the 3.6. The 2.5 will net you 4-5 MPG more, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Don't let them sway you. My company Durango vehicle 4x4 got 16.5 on the highway and 12.2 in traffic average 15mpg. Now 3.6 gets 30+ on the highway, 21 in traffic and averaging 26.6mpg. So mpg will be a blessing and yes 3.6 does make it a different vehicle. Now if you dog your mpgs will less but your hours you are on the road you will do fine. You will enjoy it and hopefully you will opt for Eyesight because ACC is a game changer.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,400 Posts
When I'm not doing stupid stuff with mine that's its main function. 24k miles in a year of ownership.

No regrets.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny that the mileage estimates vary wildly.

Fuelley shows 23-24. I can live with that. 18-20, not so much and I might regret it, lol.

Won't be this........

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts

Fuelley shows 23-24. I can live with that. 18-20, not so much and I might regret it, lol.

Won't be this........
You should be able to get that mileage with the type commute you have. I went from a Prius to a 17 3.6 OB so I know about fuel/mileage shock!

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
891 Posts

Won't be this........
First 7k on my '17 3.6 = ~21.6 mpg total (80% suburban/local, 20% highway). Best highway trip so far ~26 mpg. I hope the engine will loosen up and that may improve.

In any case, leaving comparisons to a TDI aside, the '17 3.6 gets just about the same MPG as my '09 OB 2.5, so in that comparison the 3.6 doesn't look quite as thirsty. With OP's commute the MPG would probably be a bit better than mine. :cool:

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis
58 Posts
I had a VW TDI Sportwagen before I got my 3.6R Touring and I've adjusted just fine to the differences. I got about 33mpg's around town with the VW whereas I get 22 with the Outback. The price of regular is usually lower than diesel so take that into account as well. Since this car has much more power than the VW, I prefer to compare to my wife's Q5 TDI which gets 24/31 mpg's. It's a little better than the outback but only by about 10% and the driving experience is more similar. I definitely agree with others that have conveyed that the 3.6R provides a much different feel than the 2.5i. Some car magazine review have said that the 3.6R is superfluous but to me it gives a much more Audi/BMW feel to the car without the turbo effect that those cars all seem to have now.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
I do about 110 miles/day, so now that Subaru has an 8/120 extended plan, I'm planning to factor it into the cost. Hopefully by 100k I'll have a good enough idea of reliability to keep/trade.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in 2007 I had a 330 with the 3.0L inline six.

The 3.6r feels somewhat similar to that, even if the torque is not as well delivered down low.

That being said, my fuelly for 120 or so fill ups in the TDi is 40.6 lifetime. Highway the car is rated for 42 I think. If you look at the fuelly graph for that car, 41 is the peak, where most drivers see their economy land. The same spot on the 3.6R outback, for 16-17, is 23-24 MPG. I expect that's about what I will see - 23-24 MPG.

Figuring that, the outback will cost me about 725.00-750.00 more a year in fuel to operate than the TDI. (Yes I get fuel filters and maintenance costs - i can change outback oil 2-3 times for what I can change TDI oil for. But the TDI is 10K interval). It will cost me 325-350 a year more in fuel than a golf alltrack or 2.5 outback (at 28ish mpg).

325.00 annually is a paltry sum for my sanity.

That being said, Im more concerned about the engine and cvt reliability long term. Surely is more so than a TSI VW, but is it an easy 200K car? Who knows. in 5 years it would have 150K or so on it. i'm hoping the 3.6r would be more along the lines of the old toyota inline 6 in terms of reliability. Im probably dreaming, however.

N

·
0 Posts
Are the mpg's in the 3.6 worse than with the 2.5? Yes. Have I ever second guessed my decision to buy the 3.6 instead of the 2.5? Not a single time. Get the car you enjoy driving the most (and can afford).

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
in 2007 I had a 330 with the 3.0L inline six.

The 3.6r feels somewhat similar to that, even if the torque is not as well delivered down low.

That being said, my fuelly for 120 or so fill ups in the TDi is 40.6 lifetime. Highway the car is rated for 42 I think. If you look at the fuelly graph for that car, 41 is the peak, where most drivers see their economy land. The same spot on the 3.6R outback, for 16-17, is 23-24 MPG. I expect that's about what I will see - 23-24 MPG.

Figuring that, the outback will cost me about 725.00-750.00 more a year in fuel to operate than the TDI. (Yes I get fuel filters and maintenance costs - i can change outback oil 2-3 times for what I can change TDI oil for. But the TDI is 10. It will cost me 325-350 a year more in fuel than a golf alltrack or 2.5 outback (at 28ish mpg).

325.00 annually is a paltry sum for my sanity.

That being said, Im more concerned about the engine and cvt reliability long term. Surely is more so than a TSI VW, but is it an easy 200K car? Who knows. in 5 years it would have 150K or so on it. i'm hoping the 3.6r would be more along the lines of the old toyota inline 6 in terms of reliability. Im probably dreaming, however.
There are quite a few older examples of 4th gen (3rd for the Outback) 3.0R legacy's with 200K plus for sale on craigslist in my area. I don't know what was put in to keep them going, but they are there. The CVT is still new (2011 for the 2.5 IIRC) enough, IMO, that I don't think we have good data to see how long term reliability will be. I have averaged about 22 mpg for the better part of two and a half years between 65-35 city-hwy driving and 23 mpg for 20-80 backroad-city driving. My lowest is ~19 mpg (playing and not staying off the throttle) and my best is 26 mostly all hwy driving. I have 31k miles on my 2016 I bought last May. My current daily commute is 23 miles one way. This is just one data point for you in your search, but it is my experience.

I don't think you will have any issues long term out of the motor. The trans is an unknown quantity. However, I think largely it will be fine too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an 18 Outback 3.6r with 1100 miles. All highway with adaptive cruise at 75 mph this morning about 30 miles I averaged a little over 30 mpg. I'm more than satisfied.

crn

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 3.6r Venetian Red, Black almost Leather interior with Husky mats
9 Posts
2017 3.6 Outback here. I am a real estate broker in and out of traffic all day. I'd say 60% city, 40% highway for 14,000 miles so far. I am averaging 24.7mpg. Would it be nice to drive a Nissan Leaf some days? Heck yah, but I need something dependable and able to get to work in New England winters. The 3.6 is nice, has power when you need it. I say go for it and deal with the pain at the pump later, its worth it.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
Yes I am using the 3.6r for an intermediate commute. It was hard at first to keep from driving the OB 7 days a week. Around 50 miles round trip. Mostly state routes so rarely over 62 mph. 23 - 25 mpg depending on how I drive. I also have a highway option that takes about the same amount of time but is more miles so more gas. Mpg hangs around 25 there too doing about 75 mph. Both numbers are better than my 4x4 truck. IMO what it's built for. Enjoy!

·
Registered
Silveru: 2015 Ice Silver Limited w/Tech, 3.6
98 Posts
My commute is 25% highway, 75% suburb and city driving. 17 miles each way. I average 12.5 litres/100km (@18.5 mpg).

On a straight, flat highway, which sounds similar to your commute, I average 9.5 litres/100km (@25 mpg).

I've had lots of issues with the car that needed repair. The only drive train related one was losing a wheel bearing, which was fixed under warranty.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
92 Posts
My commute is 20 miles of highway and 5 miles of city driving . 50 miles per day. I average 24 MPG hand calculated. My TDI Golf averaged 45 MPG on the same route. I drive with a heavy foot at stoplights to try and get ahead of the idiots and leave myself options. I think a normal driver would do a little better. Around here diesel fuel is .60 per gallon more than gasoline.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My commute is 20 miles of highway and 5 miles of city driving . 50 miles per day. I average 24 MPG hand calculated. My TDI Golf averaged 45 MPG on the same route. I drive with a heavy foot at stoplights to try and get ahead of the idiots and leave myself options. I think a normal driver would do a little better. Around here diesel fuel is .60 per gallon more than gasoline.
Good info. We drive the same. I cant stand getting behind oblivious people.

Lots of excellent info in this thread. Im seeing a pattern of TDi to 3.6R people.

Diesel here is .25-.30 a gallon more. If it were .60, I may have already ditched my TDi. But I love that car.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,254 Posts
I commute about 17 miles each way, 75% on a 2 lane "highway" with a TON of lights and a mixture of distracted and aggressive drivers. I can't tell you how much more relaxing this drive has become since I upgraded to the 6 (from a 2006 Impreza with the NA 4). I have a lead foot and very little patience for left-lane blockers (or right-lane-passing sneaks), but still manage 22 mpg by the computer. The old Impreza was very close to 20 mpg under these conditions (hand-calculated).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts