Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DIY sticky thread has a tutorial for a legacy upgrade to a Perrin exhaust. Has anyone actually attempted this mod? More specifically on a 3.6R. I am curious what the results sound like.

**Disclaimer** I am NOT looking to put a fart can on my OB! :28:

But the added breath/depth to the legacy sounded really good and did not grossly change the overall tone of the exhaust. Was curious if the same change would occur on a the outback. Moreover I'm curious if the kit fits as nicely too!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Guy posted a video with a sound patch of his 3.6R with the Perrin mufflers. Here it is: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/34449-perrin-axel-back-2010-legacy-3-6r.html#post321342

They looked real pretty, but the volume level didn't seem much improved. It could have been the mic.

Pretty sure the vehicle still had the cats, and the pipes weren't opened up. Do any states still let you chop off the cats? Anybody straightpiped their 3.6? Not sure how you'd bipass the 02 sensors. Probably cause a few computer issues. Anybody changed the manifolds and opened it up all the way back?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guy posted a video with a sound patch of his 3.6R with the Perrin mufflers. Here it is: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/34449-perrin-axel-back-2010-legacy-3-6r.html#post321342

They looked real pretty, but the volume level didn't seem much improved. It could have been the mic.

Pretty sure the vehicle still had the cats, and the pipes weren't opened up. Do any states still let you chop off the cats? Anybody straightpiped their 3.6? Not sure how you'd bipass the 02 sensors. Probably cause a few computer issues. Anybody changed the manifolds and opened it up all the way back?
I did catch the video, which is what piqued my interest in the mod. I like that the sound is not drastically changed. If I wanted a ton of noise I would have bought an altogether different vehicle. So for me straight piping is a silly choice. I am really just looking (listening) for a more appealing exhaust note other then near silence. I understand the broader appeal they are attempting with the vehicle, but that doesn't mean we all have to like it!:29:

The vehicle had everything stock less the cat-back kit he added on. No other mods. If you wanted to open up the dia. Of the exhaust you could still use the original o2 sensors you would just have to re-machine the supporting locations and/or weld them on. But that is all too much work for my Swiss Army knife of a car...

·
Registered
766 Posts
i still wan't to know if anyone has or will put headers on the h6

the perrin pipes do look nice

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just put some Perrin axle backs on the Outback 3.6R late last night.i still need to cut the bumper since the bumper cover half the tip and will probably melt. I'll test drive today, hoping that its not to loud! But i will let his thread know how it sounds and also maybe some pics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice! I may do it. Would love to open up manifolds, high flow cats and bigger pipes all the way back too. We'll see.

·
Registered
65 Posts
****! Looks good! More pics? Seems really deeply set inside the rear, any issues with heat from the tip being too far in? I've been looking into this as well, and both Magnaflow and Borla's site stated that the exhaust for the Legacy 2.5 GT fits in the 3.6R. Glad someone tried it. Now I'm wondering if anyone will try the whole cat back?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wanted Cars
Nameless Performance is currently looking for any of the following vehicle year/make/models in the greater Portland or Seattle area for prototyping purposes. We are working on a program for prototype customers to get a portion of the first number of systems sold in order to offset up to the full cost of the system. If you have one of these cars in the Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington area, drop us an email at [email protected] to schedule an appointment!

Subaru
2008-2010 WRX Hatchback w/ Single Tip Exhaust
Exhaust Components

2008-2010 WRX Sedan w/ Dual Exhaust (Single Tip Per Side)
Exhaust Components

2009-2011 Legacy GT & 3.6R
Turbo-Back Exhaust Development
Header-Back Exhaust Development

2003-2009 Legacy GT
Downpipe & Midpipe
Front Mount Intercooler
Intake
Braided Brake Lines

2008-2011 Forester XT
AxleBack Exhaust
Midpipe & Downpipe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, it set deeper that I expected. The bumper is warm after driving the car. I'll probably need to get that fixed if I decide to keep the exhaust.

****! Looks good! More pics? Seems really deeply set inside the rear, any issues with heat from the tip being too far in? I've been looking into this as well, and both Magnaflow and Borla's site stated that the exhaust for the Legacy 2.5 GT fits in the 3.6R. Glad someone tried it. Now I'm wondering if anyone will try the whole cat back?

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's sounds mellow with regular driving conditions, you can really hear it during heavy acceleration. Maybe more than a sedan since the exhaust is right under the hatch.

I used tin snips to cut the bumper. I taped it with painters tape, measured it out and marked the tape were i was going to cut..

Looks good! How's the sound? What did you use to cut the bumper?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Would it be possible to do without cutting the bumper by having a muffler shop weld on turn down tips at then end like the stock mufflers have? Would there be enough room?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I remember seeing a video somewhere, where someone did an exhaust on a 3.6, and it sounded really nice. To me it sort of sounded like a Porsche. I just dont remeber where i saw it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's sounds mellow with regular driving conditions, you can really hear it during heavy acceleration. Maybe more than a sedan since the exhaust is right under the hatch.

I used tin snips to cut the bumper. I taped it with painters tape, measured it out and marked the tape were i was going to cut..
Ingenious....maybe after mine has 36k+ miles I'd be tempted to cut it up. Either way I like and would love to hear what it sounds like with a vid from behind the car.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think it was Peaty but he has a legacy not an outback. It did sound nice. I would only be interested if it provided improvement in MPG and or power.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Yes it was me that did the Perrin upgrade on my 3.6R Legacy.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/perrin-axel-back-2010-legacy-13402.html

I only replaced the mufflers, nothing else. I was looking for a slight increase in sound, not a fart can type of deal. Although, I'm not sure the H6 could sound like that. I like that the sound for the most part (it is somewhat deeper though) is relatively calm until you really step on it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Did I get a performance bump? I don't think so, it only sounds faster ;) My MPG's are pretty much the same too.

I've had them on for a while now and I have to say, I'd install them again no problem. They have held up well. We've had a fair amount of winter weather here, they use a sort of salt analog on the road. The chrome is still in good shape. The only con I can think of is that the tips do look on the boy racer / ricey side. Mostly directly from the back, not so much from the side. This is a subjective thing though.

I saw this thread because I've been poking around here. Looks like we may be trading in the 06 Tribeca and replacing it with an Outback very soon. This will be the 4 Outback :) It's for the wife and I'm thinking a CVT but nothing is in stone yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmm... I'm wondering if one could just buy a pair of Borlas and have a shop weld 'em up where the stock mufflers are, with OEM-looking turndowns.

It'd be kinda cool to pass people on the 2-lane highways out here with the scooby-doo making a decidedly Porsche-like wail. :12:

I think I am going to try this... but it'll probably wait 'til after the stock mufflers are shot. Too many other projects to spend money on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
DucFanDan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing