Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After my '99 Outback died on me last month after 360k+ miles of adventures and memories, I got into a used 2012 3.6R Limited. On the whole, I am very happy with the new Outback however I have noticed some intermittent shaking on the freeway between about 60mph and 70-75mph. Also when breaking from freeway speeds down to surface street speeds there is an initial shake in the steering wheel and hum from the engine compartment.

Now, the tires that came with the car are, to be fair, **** near bald and miss worn. It doesn't look like they were ever rotated in their lifetime and I have new rubber scheduled to be installed this Friday. I'm hopeful that this takes care of the shake at freeway speeds but after reading through most of the threads on this sud-forum I'm having my doubts that this will be the ultimate cure.

I did purchase a 3 year powertrain warrantee for the car so if the new tires don't help to solve this to my liking I plan to take further action, regardless of what is covered by the warrantee. However, I'm wondering what some of you have fond the ultimate solution to be, if there is one. New bushings? Front strut tower brace perhaps? (just something that I'd like to do eventually)

Also wondering if the hum that I hear when breaking hard at freeway speeds is a sign of the break booster failing or something else. The shake/vibration under initial breaking at speed I have a feeling are some warped front rotors, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick addition....
New tires (Nokian WRG-4's) completely took care of the shaking at speed issue.
Still experiencing the shaking while braking but plan to have new pads and front rotors (or a resurfacing) done soon.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
353 Posts
Yeah, 2012 models shouldn't have a shake issue, unless there's an off balance wheel or some other issue. I've had it three times, and every single time it was the front wheels were over 1/4 ounce off, with the last time being nearly 1/2 an ounce out of balance. I think the lighter springs/dampeners on the 10-12 model years make them more sensitive to wheel balance. I can go to Mavis, or the dealer, and tell them which wheel is out of balance. - The rear doesn't seem to care, but fronts will let you know.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,453 Posts
From my understanding, as someone who had the fix done on my 2010 Outback, model years 2012 vehicles had the fix components installed on them at the factory. 2013 model year vehicles were engineered the problem out of the vehicles. 2012 model year vehicles may have a small chance of experiencing issues but I don't recall hearing of any.

@Enderkind It sounds like a standard fare alignment issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts