Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ice Silver 3.6R! Love this car.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires that shipped with my 2015 3.6R were Bridgestone 22560R18 and I have to say they pretty much suck. Never in my life have I gotten this bad wear out of a set of tires. I'm just reaching 30k miles and they have 4/32 on them. Subaru won't do anything and I have yet to hear back from bridgestone but I'm not holding my breath. (Yes, rotated, proper inflation. As a matter of fact I was so anal about this my wife made fun of me) So, that being said, I will never ever buy Bridgestone tires again in my life.

I was a costco and talked to the tire shop guy and he said Michelin tires are no good for san diego because they are made for wetter roads and the dry conditions here wear them like the bridgestones. He recommended BFGoodrich advantage sport t/a. Says their customers are getting 60k like the warranty says. ( he also said that michelin bought BFG a few years ago so.....) Just wondering what tires anyone is using in dry conditions and getting good miles on for the 18" 3.6R? Help a fella out here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes I have read all the threads around here but most deal with 17 inch tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The tires that shipped with my 2015 3.6R were Bridgestone 22560R18 and I have to say they pretty much suck. Never in my life have I gotten this bad wear out of a set of tires. I'm just reaching 30k miles and they have 4/32 on them. Subaru won't do anything and I have yet to hear back from bridgestone but I'm not holding my breath. (Yes, rotated, proper inflation. As a matter of fact I was so anal about this my wife made fun of me) So, that being said, I will never ever buy Bridgestone tires again in my life.

I was a costco and talked to the tire shop guy and he said Michelin tires are no good for san diego because they are made for wetter roads and the dry conditions here wear them like the bridgestones. He recommended BFGoodrich advantage sport t/a. Says their customers are getting 60k like the warranty says. ( he also said that michelin bought BFG a few years ago so.....) Just wondering what tires anyone is using in dry conditions and getting good miles on for the 18" 3.6R? Help a fella out here.
OEM tires are not 60k warranty tires. In fact, getting to around mid 30k on them is pretty normal.

I would be researching reviews on long lasting summer tires. I also know with symmetrical awd and lack of traditional slipping differentials, Subarus are hard on tires even when rotated frequently. I would guess you need about the hardest rubber tire out there. I live in ND. Duelers are popular here on many vehicles and are considered good tires. Good luck in your research.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
I just replaced my stock Bridgestone tires on my 2016 OB Limited with General Ultimax RT43 and they had good ratings on Tire Rack and my local Tire Shop. Ride very quiet and have excellent wet weather traction. Haven’t driven in snow yet but expect to in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
I put Michelin Premier LTX on mine (I got 41k from the OEM Bridgestones) and am happy with them. Not sure how long they will last and don't care, because I started buying good tires over tires that last forever. I've found that there's no advantage to having tread left if it's cupped and noisy. Give me a tire that stays quiet and performs for 30-40k over a tire that is noisy for 20k.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OEM tires are not 60k warranty tires. In fact, getting to around mid 30k on them is pretty normal.

I would be researching reviews on long lasting summer tires. I also know with symmetrical awd and lack of traditional slipping differentials, Subarus are hard on tires even when rotated frequently. I would guess you need about the hardest rubber tire out there. I live in ND. Duelers are popular here on many vehicles and are considered good tires. Good luck in your research.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
good idea. I will give it a look. Didn't know there was a difference between oem and tires in the shop with the same name? Hard rubber wouldn't translate to a smooth ride but I'll look. We usually only get about a month of wet here and not even bad wet. Last year was the exception not the norm.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put Michelin Premier LTX on mine (I got 41k from the OEM Bridgestones) and am happy with them. Not sure how long they will last and don't care, because I started buying good tires over tires that last forever. I've found that there's not advantage to having tread left if it's cupped and noisy. Give me a tire that stays quiet and performs for 30-40k over a tire that is noisy for 20k.
M LTX or Premier A/s were on my list to look at as well. wonder if there is a difference in the Michelin tires that are sold at tire shops and at costco. Can't imagine there would be as noone would buy the tires if they supplied costco with faster wearing tires. and it would be expensive to make more than one rubber compound for the same tires.
I checked the local tireshop and they said cooper cs5 touring would be what they recommend.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,153 Posts
OEM tires are not 60k warranty tires.
True. The OE tires have no wear mileage warranty whatsoever, either from Subaru or from the tire manufacturer. See your Maintenance and Warranty manuals.

I also know with symmetrical awd and lack of traditional slipping differentials, Subarus are hard on tires even when rotated frequently.
Gen 5 Outbacks (and Gen 6 Legacys) all have open differentials, front and rear. If the tread depths of all four tires are the same (i.e. the rolling radii of all four tires are identical), there will be very little additional tire wear due to AWD.

Reactions: Rickwg

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,195 Posts
Tyres have a tread wear rating often marked on the side wall. The Goodyear Efficiency Grip SUV 17's on my 2012 have a rating of 440. Just purchased a 2015 with 18's last week. The Bridgestone Dueller H/L 33 have a tread wear rating of 260. Therefor they will wear out quickly or quicker than the Goodyears. Look for a tyre with a high rating. But the higher the rating the harder the rubber which reduces braking efficiency in the dry.

Reactions: Rickwg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just replaced my stock Bridgestone tires on my 2016 OB Limited with General Ultimax RT43 and they had good ratings on Tire Rack and my local Tire Shop. Ride very quiet and have excellent wet weather traction. Haven’t driven in snow yet but expect to in a couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looked up the general ultimax rt43 and they look pretty good. reviews are pretty good too. Price is hard to beat!

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited | 2017 Outback 3.6r Touring
159 Posts
If you're not doing any off roading, you could consider the 245/55/18 Micheline pilot sports a/s 3. I absolutely love the grip on these and will be upgrading my 3.6 to these when the time comes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i SE 4EAT
131 Posts
Barring winter tires and R-compound which are two whole other threads, there are basically three types of rubber you can run spring-summer-fall (and winter in nice climates), you've got your hard rubber, your soft rubber, and your hybrid tires.

Hard rubber are going to last a long time, but they are going to skid in the rain and squeal around corners and chirp at quick starts, you better drive fairly nice and not expect too much performance or cornering grip but they will last a loooooong time if you do drive nice. All hard rubber are passenger tires, usually "Grand Touring" at best, not for real performance.

Soft rubber will whip you around corners with minimal noise or drama, grip really well in dry (and probably wet too depending on the tread design), they allow a level of driving performance which you may never get into if you are driving nice and trying to conserve wear and tear on your vehicle and using a stock suspension... and they are going to wear out in 30 or 40k miles, that's the tradeoff.

Hybrid tires usually start out with a layer of soft rubber so that when the tires are brand new they have really high performance and impressive qualities but as they wear down you get into the less-performing, longer-lasting hard rubber so that they can claim they make a great performing tire that lasts a long time (not both at the same time, though). And there are varying softness of soft and hard tires. You get the idea.

Someone already gave a nod to my recommendation... The General Altimax RTR43 are as good as you're going to get for a hard rubber tire, which I can attest to, having worn them on my girlfriend's Civic for the last year. They claim to last 70,000 miles. Anything better than these tires is probably going to be softer and not as long-lasting. They are a great choice for you, why spend more on a fancy brand? You won't do better than the RT43.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barring winter tires and R-compound which are two whole other threads, there are basically three types of rubber you can run spring-summer-fall (and winter in nice climates), you've got your hard rubber, your soft rubber, and your hybrid tires.

Hard rubber are going to last a long time, but they are going to skid in the rain and squeal around corners and chirp at quick starts, you better drive fairly nice and not expect too much performance or cornering grip but they will last a loooooong time if you do drive nice. All hard rubber are passenger tires, usually "Grand Touring" at best, not for real performance.

Soft rubber will whip you around corners with minimal noise or drama, grip really well in dry (and probably wet too depending on the tread design), they allow a level of driving performance which you may never get into if you are driving nice and trying to conserve wear and tear on your vehicle and using a stock suspension... and they are going to wear out in 30 or 40k miles, that's the tradeoff.

Hybrid tires usually start out with a layer of soft rubber so that when the tires are brand new they have really high performance and impressive qualities but as they wear down you get into the less-performing, longer-lasting hard rubber so that they can claim they make a great performing tire that lasts a long time (not both at the same time, though). And there are varying softness of soft and hard tires. You get the idea.

Someone already gave a nod to my recommendation... The General Altimax RTR43 are as good as you're going to get for a hard rubber tire, which I can attest to, having worn them on my girlfriend's Civic for the last year. They claim to last 70,000 miles. Anything better than these tires is probably going to be softer and not as long-lasting. They are a great choice for you, why spend more on a fancy brand? You won't do better than the RT43.
when it comes right down to it this is a Subaru wagon type car not a sports car. Cornering at speed is probably not what this car was made for I'm gonna guess. Here in Southern California we get very little rain and when we do it lasts maybe a month. (again last year was an anomaly) Winter driving is like maybe when we go skiing 4 times a year and all other times driving is on dry roads so I'm liking the generals. I also checked out the Cooper CS5 that the local shop is offering and they have a tread wear at 760 vs 700 for the generals. Thinking back I had some generals on my pickup when i had it and they lasted what seemed like forever (not gonna be sporty in a pickup). I've requested a price quote from a local shop here on the generals so we will see what they offer. No one keeps them in stock down here so gonna have to order them. Now to find a place that can get them and do an alignment on the subaru as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're not doing any off roading, you could consider the 245/55/18 Micheline pilot sports a/s 3. I absolutely love the grip on these and will be upgrading my 3.6 to these when the time comes.

These will fit?

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited | 2017 Outback 3.6r Touring
159 Posts
Yeah there's a few people on here with that size without issue

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
Rotation and alignment seem to be just as important, if not more, than the treadwear rating. I ran a set of Michelin LTX on my Explorer for 100k miles through rotation and alignment when they were only warranted for 60k.

Still going to recommend the Michelin Premier AS for all CA driving conditions. I'm in SoCal and while we aren't supposed to get lots of rain and it wasn't predicted, we did and you should consider that any year has the potential to get a lot of rain. Also keep in mind that with your Sub you might go to places that you might not consider otherwise.

Arizona or Utah in the Winter comes to mind.

I also think it is interesting when people say, "they're comparable to the Michelin" when duty just a few bucks more you can actually have Michelin.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i SE 4EAT
131 Posts
It's worth noting that General is owned by Continental, a German tire manufacturer, the world's fourth largest. Michelin is a French company, world's largest tire manufacturer and owner/maker of BF Goodrich tires since 1988.

The upper crust of the General and BF Goody lines are comparable to the their parent brands in quality, performance and longevity, for a much lower price. These companies realize not all consumers will pay top tier, and they would get a fraction of the business they do if they only offered high priced tires. There is some specification-comparing you have to do, as an informed consumer, because some budget tires are truly awful, but there is also a choice you have to make, about how much extra you want to pay for a "more prestigious" brand name. If the reviews and ratings say a tire has great treadlife, great traction, or great whatever-you-want, then why get hung up on a brand name?

P.S. I would pit my BF Goodrich Comp2 AS (the all season version of the Sport Comp2) against Michelin Pilot Sports any day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after waiting for the oem tires to go the remaining generals that were in stock when I was doing my original search were gone. The only place I could get em from was tire rack. Opting for the easier route I went for the local tire shop and got some Cooper CS5 ultra touring for the 2015 outback limited. with about 1000 miles on them they are smooth and quiet and handle well. Haven't had any rain yet but will update when we do/if we do.

·
Registered
2016 3.6 limited
67 Posts
I just replaced my OEM tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season. Discount tire. It was a toss up between the cooper and the the Pirelli. Since they sell both. The manager entered all my wants and driving habits into the computer and the P7 was first and the cooper was second. The Pirellis were a few $$ cheaper but not by much. So far so good. What can I say about them ???? Well they are round and roll and my car sits on them :)

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
480 Posts
Have you considered the Continental Pure Contact tires? They seem to be the best grand touring/all season tire for dry grip and are good in the rain. Once my Bridgestones wear out (shouldn't be long), I'm going to get four 235/55 18" on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts