Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
So, I was searching this forum and came across this thread since I'm thinking of buying a 2013 3.6R this month. I was reading a very long thread about this same issue over on Edmonds.com:

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

Is this issue now resolved? Does it affect the 2013's? After reading the thread on Edmond's I was starting to rethink my pursuit of a Subaru.

· Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
382 Posts
So, I was searching this forum and came across this thread since I'm thinking of buying a 2013 3.6R this month. I was reading a very long thread about this same issue over on Edmonds.com:

Is this issue now resolved? Does it affect the 2013's? After reading the thread on Edmond's I was starting to rethink my pursuit of a Subaru.
Don't mean to annoy anybody on this thread, but you have to take forums "with a grain of salt" .These forums tend to draw posters that are having issues,right or wrong, there tens of thousands of these vehicles out there that have no perceived problems so you won't hear from them. I Love mine, and don't seem to have any of these issues but I am here to keep informed. As far as I am concerned the 2013 OB 3.6r LTD is an awesome vehicle for my purposes, and you would likely to be as happy with this as any other manufacturer. Every car maker has issues from time to time, just check their forums, but Subaru has a strong reputation for dependability, long life span, and low maintenance cost. So make sure you base your decision on what is real.:29:

· Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,063 Posts

The problem described in the edmunds thread does not sound like the same problem this thread was started to address.

The problem on the edmunds thread looks to be lousy timing. That is, the driver and the TCU are not working together to time the shift correctly. Nearly every trans I've ever driven (auto OR manual) could be made to have the same problem... I think a few people are getting it more often than most others just due to their driving style.

That's different from an unnecessarily harsh upshift on acceleration, which is what (I think) the poster in this thread is complaining about.

· Registered
3 Posts
Don't mean to annoy anybody on this thread, but you have to take forums "with a grain of salt" .These forums tend to draw posters that are having issues,right or wrong, there tens of thousands of these vehicles out there that have no perceived problems so you won't hear from them. I Love mine, and don't seem to have any of these issues but I am here to keep informed. As far as I am concerned the 2013 OB 3.6r LTD is an awesome vehicle for my purposes, and you would likely to be as happy with this as any other manufacturer. Every car maker has issues from time to time, just check their forums, but Subaru has a strong reputation for dependability, long life span, and low maintenance cost. So make sure you base your decision on what is real.:29:
Thanks - I do understand this, but it is a valid question and like most people I want to read and research a vehicle before I purchase. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your feedback and post.

· Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
63 Posts
The problem described in Edmunds relates to an extremely harsh downshift when coming to a stop and then reaccelerating at 10-15mph. Subaru fixed this with a reprogramming of the TCU which is the new standard in production. 2013’s should not have this problem. My 2011 did. It felt like you’d been rear ended, a really hash downshift. When the upgrade came out I had the TCU flashed and it’s never done it again.

I think the transmission shifts fine. No complaints on my end and remember, this is a proven transmission with very few problems. I believe any issues on shift timing relate to maximizing fuel use and personal preference.

· Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
825 Posts
^ CT - When did you have the flash done?

· Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
Yes, my '13 3.6R shifts very smooth. Every once in a while a downshift to first will be slightly non-smooth, like the revs are not quite properly matched, but it's only a small annoyance.

· Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
281 Posts
"This is called "shift shock". There is a TSB and a software update to correct this problem. "

Mine has done this same lurch now for 1.5 years, would like to get rid of it. Can someone dig up and post the TSB or at least give us an identifier code or something? Having that in hand would help me convince the dealer to perform it, no doubt.

Christopher

· Registered
63 Posts
No kidding... in addition to the Subaru, this trans (JATCO 507) was used in the Nissan armada SUV and the Infiniti G35. Probably more sold in those cars than in Subies...
It was also used in the Nissan pickup. The transmission case is unique to Subaru but the internal parts are essentially the same as in the Nissans. In the Nissan its known as the RE5RO5A.

AltaBrig - I had the flash done in November 2011.

· Registered
63 Posts
"This is called "shift shock". There is a TSB and a software update to correct this problem. "

Mine has done this same lurch now for 1.5 years, would like to get rid of it. Can someone dig up and post the TSB or at least give us an identifier code or something? Having that in hand would help me convince the dealer to perform it, no doubt.

Christopher
Here it is.

View attachment tsb.pdf

· Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
825 Posts
^ Thanks for posting the pdf. Now, I should be able to avoid any clueless reactions when I get it done.

· Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
197 Posts

Christopher
Interesting...I too had "shift shock" or very hard downshifts from my Auto-3.6. However as my mileage has started to increase, it seems like all of sudden it has stopped. Also I still have very low mileage so figured it needs some time to break-in.

Currently the hard downshifts have disappeared. I also have tried to brake more gradually and that has helped.

MPG are not that that great...but I love the juice of the 3.6, lots of power.

· Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
my '13 OB 3.6r was re-engaging poorly and just acting bad. i took it in on fri for a "relearn" patch since apparently the old "learn" patch wasn't doing so well. i drove it around the block aggresively (since it seemed the agrressive driving caused it to rear its ugly head) a bunch after, at the beginning of the drive, the behavior was as before. but then the actions became more subtle. now, the car barely does it but the behavior is still kind of there, but, now where near as bad.

· Registered
166 Posts
It seems that my tranny just "hits" hard when coming up to a redlight as some here have mentioned. Under harder acceleration it also seems you need to be in that "sweet" spot of engine revs or something. Regardless, like one forum member said, a car north of 35K case, which was my case, should shift smoothly. I think the engine is great however. I am taking it back to the dealer for a check up even though it has less than 5K miles.

Tires are nitrogen filled and are at proper inflation. I do NOT like the crosswinds pushing me around though. I'll look into that 19MM sway bar!

On a side note: don't you think a car costing over 35K would have a wood trimmed steering wheel? I mean all the upscale cars have them i.e. Lexus, MBenz, Infinity etc. Heck, even Buicks have them. I bought this car for the exta power b/c I drive interstate to work every day and WV has its share of hills to go up. I'm just disappointed it doesn't shift like I think it should. Once to dealer, I'll report back the findings.
I'm in no position to judge the transmission issue, since I don't (at present) own a Subaru.

The crosswind reactions are perfectly predictable, given the Subaru's height and profile. This is not a particularly ærodynamic vehicle, nor was it designed as such. It's a utility somewhere between a wagon and a SUV. Comparing it to your Mini Cooper is like comparing the ærodynamics of a tennis shoe to a barn door.

We're currently driving a vehicle that had a sticker of $41K (in 2004!), and doesn't have a wood-trimmed steering wheel. (2004 SAAB 9-5 Arc Wagon, the dash looks like wood, but I doubt that it ever saw a tree) No SAAB has ever had a wood-trimmed steering wheel. The cars you mention all cost, for the most part, significantly more than a Subaru.

· Registered
37 Posts
SOA agreed to give me a free 7yr/100,000 mile extended gold, zero deductible warranty for my troubles related to the sucky shifting 5at in my '11 3.6. they say it is working within normal parameters and will give years of great service. i DO appreciate the free warranty. but still wish it shifted like it should.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.