Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Red
578 Posts
My 3.6 seems to be burning about 1.2 quarts in 3700 miles (only owned the car for 3700 miles, added a full quart and it's till a tad under the max level mark).
I'll change the oil as soon as it warm up. I had Subaru conventional in there.

·
Registered
Legacy 3.0R 6MT
153 Posts
Hello my h6 3.0L was burn 0.7 L for 1000km oil
I think the first owner was not good with the car
After i change oil 3 time every 10000 km i have no oil consumption more....

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2013 3.6 uses about a half quart every 7500 miles. The only reason I know this is that I was idling on a hill for a good while and the check oil light came on. It went off when I was on the level. I checked the oil and I was down slightly. I talked to the dealer and checked the manual and am not concerned. I use synthetic and if I changed oil every 5k instead of 7.5k I would not even noticed.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,041 Posts
At 61K miles my car uses about 1/2 Qt every 7500 miles. Not enough to worry about and normal IMHO in the hot climate I live in. I do use Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
140 Posts
At 61K miles my car uses about 1/2 Qt every 7500 miles. Not enough to worry about and normal IMHO in the hot climate I live in. I do use Synthetic oil.
Way off topic I know.....but I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your trailer hitch as I own a small Boston Whaler that I may consider towing occasionally.

Oh, the wife's new 2014 doesn't use any oil yet . Of course it only has 700 miles on the clock.:cool:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Way off topic I know.....but I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your trailer hitch as I own a small Boston Whaler that I may consider towing occasionally.

Oh, the wife's new 2014 doesn't use any oil yet . Of course it only has 700 miles on the clock.:cool:
I have a Hidden Hitch. It is over-rated for the car as it can handle 4000# but I needed a 2" because of all the accessories I already had for it. I got it from Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch for Subaru Outback Wagon 2011 - 90208
They even used a white OB in their photos..:D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No drilling required at all. The installation video shows drilling to install the bolts, but the bumper cover comes off easy. Remove a few bolts from the bumper beam and you can slide the mounting bolts into the frame rails.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
80 Posts
Back on topic..:(

I changed the OEM air filter on my 2012 3.6 Ltd early because of the driving conditions that I was exposed to. To my utter amazement, The air box was full of trash and debris. On inspection of the OEM air filter, one entire side of the edge of the air filter element was NOT sealed into the rubber gasket. THis might explain why my oil consumption was a little to high. I am in the process of having oil analysis done by Blackstone on the affected Mobile One oil and subsequent Mobile One oil changes.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
My 3.6L engine uses no noticeable oil between oil changes with a 5,000 mile OCI on Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. Dealer oil changes were with Mobil 1 5W-30.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2013 3.6r uses mobile 1 since 3,000 miles. No oil consumption that I could tell - currently at 10k as you would expect. My 2002 wrx had 130,000 miles with no oil consumption either using mobile 1.

T

·
0 Posts
I have a 2011 3.6R Limited with 30K miles. I bought it used with 23K. I have done 2 oil changes. Between both it was low on oil. For the second the dealer did a "oil consumption analysis." I had to go there every 1,200 miles and have them check and add oil. It was a pain. At the end of the analysis, they said that it used 28oz in about 3700 miles and that his is "normal." Basically I wasted my time going to the dealer and waiting for them to check the oil...

They said that the engine can use up to a quart every 1,200 miles and that is normal.

I am not excited about having a car that uses 1 quart between oil changes (at 30K), and I let the service manager know this. I am very qualified to check my oil, add oil, change oil, etc. However I don't think I should routinely have to add oil between oil changes on a relatively new car.

Do other folks out there with a 3.6r have similar experiences? I am thinking about trading the car in.
2009 Tribeca, 70k miles...over time, used more and more oil...no leak...then wife was driving it on highway and engine went out. She could have been killed. No oil, not a drop in the engine after checking it every 3-4 weeks or about 1500-2000 miles and doing changes every 7500. The rings or values were gone and it was burning oil. Death cars....don't buy and report to NHTSA and maybe we all can get something done about it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
80 Posts
Back on topic..:(

I changed the OEM air filter on my 2012 3.6 Ltd early because of the driving conditions that I was exposed to. To my utter amazement, The air box was full of trash and debris. On inspection of the OEM air filter, one entire side of the edge of the air filter element was NOT sealed into the rubber gasket. THis might explain why my oil consumption was a little to high. I am in the process of having oil analysis done by Blackstone on the affected Mobile One oil and subsequent Mobile One oil changes.
So, to follow up on the above post.. (I'm sorry for the delay!)

Oil analysis performed by Blackstone Labs showed high levels of silicates plus certain metals that should NOT have been there. So I guess another analysis is in order, as well as compression check and bleed down test. :(

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,952 Posts
I've read that silicates on a new car silicon can come out of aluminum castings, but later on, the main source is incoming air. Air contains dust and most dust outdoors is quartz - silicon dioxide.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
80 Posts
I've read that silicates on a new car silicon can come out of aluminum castings, but later on, the main source is incoming air. Air contains dust and most dust outdoors is quartz - silicon dioxide.
Yes, I've read that too. But this oil change was done after ~15,000 miles, AFTER I discovered the defective OEM Subaru air cleaner that came on the car from the factory, which was allowing all manor of debris into the engine. I'll just have to hope that no significant damage was done to the internals of the engine while it was ingesting bugs and dirt from the area of Idaho that I live.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited which I bought "certified used" about five months ago for my daughter. We just noticed it has burned about 2 quarts of oil during this time and probably less than 2,000 miles. We are going in for an oil consumption test on Monday. I think it is total BS that this is "normal". My MDX, BMW, and Mercedes doesn't burn any oil between oil changes. No wonder there is a class action lawsuit brewing against Subaru. This has got to affect the smog check on the car when it comes up for renewal in the next year or two here in California.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
I have the 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited which I bought "certified used" about five months ago for my daughter. We just noticed it has burned about 2 quarts of oil during this time and probably less than 2,000 miles. We are going in for an oil consumption test on Monday. I think it is total BS that this is "normal". My MDX, BMW, and Mercedes doesn't burn any oil between oil changes. No wonder there is a class action lawsuit brewing against Subaru. This has got to affect the smog check on the car when it comes up for renewal in the next year or two here in California.
Time to send a letter to CARB, and CC Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
Sooooo....

Something very interesting this oil change...

1) The dipstick shows that it was on the low mark (no oil light) @6100 miles

2) With a Subaru OEM filter change, the car required exactly 7.2QTs of oil to get to the full mark on the dipstick. (Proper checking requires letting the car sit overnight, and pulling the dipstick once all of the oil has returned to the crank case.)

3) Using a graduated 8 QT collection container (scientific) I was able to recover 6.7QTs of oil. (The engine was hot...)

There is no doubt that the dipstick went from full to low during 6100 miles of operation. Thats a fact.

Whats odd, is that I recall putting in 7.1QTs of Castrol GTX last time...

The manual indicates that the dipstick is 1.1QTs of oil from FULL to LOW. Clearly, thats not the case...

What am I missing?!

41 - 60 of 90 Posts