Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2010 3.6R also, I change the oil every 5,000 miles as well and have to add a quart at around 3,500 miles as well. This has been true since around 80,000 and has not changed any. I don't consider it a problem. My experience is basically the same as yours.
Same vehicle. Just started getting the low engine oil warning light around 92K miles. I suppose it's normal, although I have had multiple other vehicles that didn't need anything between oil changes upwards of 300K miles...

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, Venetian Red Pearl, EyeSight.
96 Posts
Bought my 2014 3.6R brand new. Up to 25k km I didn't notice any usage (also hadn't been checking oil level, I know I know). I got a quick change at Mr. Lube (I can't remember the brand) and it was low at my next change. Decided to try another quick lube as my dealer is typically booked 2-3 weeks ahead, and this time it was Valvoline brand. This time the low oil light came on half way into my OCI. At this point I have about 33k km on the ODO. I put in oil from Petro Canada and was able to make it until the end of the interval, checking oil level frequently. I then had the oil changed at the dealer and Castrol is listed on my work order. Im 2000 km into my OCI and I haven't noticed any usage. I'm checking daily.

I have consistently used synthetic following the break in period. 65% stop and go city driving (rolls eyes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
So I'll give you an odd one...

Had the dealer change the oil last time, and the car hasn't used an appreciable amount of oil in the 7200 miles since it was changed.

They use whatever they get from their distributor, and I'm trying to find out what it is!

I think this time I'll pull the oil, send it to blackstone, and put in 10w30 Redline for giggles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
engine burning oil

My 2011 3.6R with 63K miles on it. Since about 30K miles I have been having to top off engine oil between the recommended 7.5K intervals. The issue has progressively gotten worse to a point that now the car needs a quart after 2.5K miles of driving. We did a oil burn test at the dealer and promptly took my car back at about 1250K miles the dip stick showed no hint of
oil burn. Another 1300 miles since and it seems to have gone through a quart of oil and it's right at the lower hole on the dipstick. I park at the same spot everyday and have never noticed any leaks. My dealer says I am out of warranty and if the engine needs fixing I would have to shell it out of my pocket. However after reading numerous articles about this oil burn problem I am sure this is the same issue affecting several other cars. I am not sure what I can do at this point.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
638 Posts
My 2011 3.6R with 63K miles on it. Since about 30K miles I have been having to top off engine oil between the recommended 7.5K intervals. The issue has progressively gotten worse to a point that now the car needs a quart after 2.5K miles of driving. We did a oil burn test at the dealer and promptly took my car back at about 1250K miles the dip stick showed no hint of
oil burn. Another 1300 miles since and it seems to have gone through a quart of oil and it's right at the lower hole on the dipstick. I park at the same spot everyday and have never noticed any leaks. My dealer says I am out of warranty and if the engine needs fixing I would have to shell it out of my pocket. However after reading numerous articles about this oil burn problem I am sure this is the same issue affecting several other cars. I am not sure what I can do at this point.
Curious what brand of oil you use?

I had something like this with Valvoline oil where I got a low-oil warning around 1K miles after an oil change. No signs of where it went, no drips, no visible smoke. I used Pennzoil to refill it and for subsequent changes and had zero problems. Since then I've been very particular about oil brand.

Also some shops you may want to verify what weight oil is being used, I think the newer 2.5i uses really light oil vs the 3.6R and I had one time a "helpful" person at the auto parts store was trying to tell me the wrong weight to use.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
I wonder, has anyone sent Blackstone a sample from their 'oil burner'?

just wondering if there's excess fuel or some other anomaly that might be common to them.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,009 Posts
My 2013 3.6R owners manual recommends conventional 5W30 oil. We purchased our Outback in November 2015 at 25,500 miles and I have been running Castrol GTX 5W30 conventional oil in it since then. No oil consumption issues here. The odometer currently shows 37,400 miles. My next oil and filter change is due in the next 200 miles or so. Our Outback does about 6,000 miles per year. We have three other vehicles so our mileage is fairly evenly spread amongst all four of them.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited
80 Posts
I wonder, has anyone sent Blackstone a sample from their 'oil burner'?

just wondering if there's excess fuel or some other anomaly that might be common to them.

I sent a sample from my new 3.6R as a baseline when it was new, long before the oil consumption issues were discussed. I need to send another.

The reason for me sending an oil sample years ago was because I discovered that the air cleaner element was defective, not being attached on one side of the filter. That sample had high silicates in the oil. Later samples did not. I'm sure there were other abnormalities, but they escape me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most of the oil changes were at the Subaru dealer and they use the Subaru branded 5w30 conventional. Whenever I have had to top off I used Mobil1 Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
50 Posts
FWIW. 2012 3.6R with 140K using 5W30 dino and 5K OCI. Usually add 1/2 to 1 qt during OCI. Mostly long distance highway usage. Not leaking or burning (apparent). Consider it normal, no fuss, no big deal. Great car, engine & transmission - expect to run it past 250K.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts