Registered
1997 Impreza OBS, 2.2 L SOHC, Blue and Silver
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I just got these three codes pulled from my 1997 Impreza OBS:
P0301
P0302
P0440

If anyone knows what these codes mean and how to fix them I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
301 and 302. Misfires on cyl 1 &2 How old are plugs?

440: Evap code. Check your gas fill cap. make sure threads are clean and retighten. Could also be purge solenoid.

Google subaru dtc codes and you can get a complete list and the diagnostics for them.

O.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,315 Posts
Would a bad O2 sensor cause 440 code or no?
No.

Did these codes pop up close together in time?

The misfires on cylinders 1 and 2 could be plugs, wires or coil; or a combination of them. Could also be a vacuum leak.

And, the 440 is an issue with the EVAP system which could be a loose gas cap, broken vent hose, failed vent valve, vacuum leak (hint) or purge solenoid fault.

How long since the last spark plug change?

Check for broken or loose vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Codes popped up at the same time, 301 first, 302 second, 440 third, all on one code check, and I don't know when the last spark plug change was, I've had the vehicle for a year and a half, and I kn ow that I haven't changed them since I got it.

·
Premium Member
16,315 Posts
You could use an accelerant like brake cleaner with a straw and spray the stream towards the injectors, base of the intake, vacuum lines. Anywhere there would be a possibility to suck in air past the MAF. Look for hardened or cracked vacuum hoses. Cracks in the intake tube. Check the condition of the hoses from the engine to the gas tank and the ones up the filler neck to the cap.

Most likely, you have a leak at the engine. The EVAP uses vacuum from the engine to operate. If there is a low vacuum condition, the engine will run lean, causing a misfire and there will be an issue with the EVAP system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the problem is definitely related with the vacuum system?

·
Premium Member
16,315 Posts
It is a good possibility that since the codes popped up together, they can all be related to vacuum issues, especially the EVAP, then yes, most likely its vacuum related.

It would be odd that its two different issues.

It could be a bad battery, but I would check for a vacuum leak also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the advice, I will definitely be checking all that out ASAP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just did, but the thing is that the low idle started yesterday, the check engine light has been on for about two months (I've had the codes pulled before but didn't remember what the codes were)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, two fuel lines, fuel filter, and one vacuum line, check engine light is off for now, idling smooth but still around 500 rpm. Is it normal for the 97 Impreza OBS to idle that low?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.