Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so the horn on my '01 LLBean 3.0L recently went down to only one tone. Turns out it was just a loose wire in the high note horn at the grill, and after some cleanup and reattachment, it works again.

However, while doing all this I noticed that the third horn located further back doesn't do anything. The manual calls this the "security" horn, which would imply that it should activate with either the alarm or the lock/unlock/door open chirps, but it doesn't do anything. When I set off the car alarm by hitting PANIC, only the two horns at the grill make noise.

When is that third horn supposed to activate, and what is it's purpose? Is it a third note? Is it just to make the alarm even louder? Should I even bother trying to fix it? Thanks!!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,329 Posts
on our 03, the 3rd horn is a quiet chirp when we activate or deactivate our sec. system with our fobs.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
565 Posts
on our 03, the 3rd horn is a quiet chirp when we activate or deactivate our sec. system with our fobs.
That sound comes from a buzzer in the driver's door (I pulled one from a junkyard with the thought to attempt to retrofit it to my '00 that just uses the actual horn).

The 3rd one on the strut tower is definitely for the alarm. When I first got our '04 running, the main 2 horns were not connected, and we didn't have a key fob, so my wife set off the alarm a couple times. Removing that 3rd horn disabled it (of course, it came back when I wired up the mains).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts