Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 4,700 trip from the UK to southern Morocco and back in a 2001 3 liter Outback. Car was faultless on the trip however, this morning it refused to start. It turns over as normal but will not fire. Wondering if it may be the fuel pump. The car was subjected to a fair bit of dusty off roading while in Morocco.
Any suggestions as to what could possibly be the problem?

·
Registered
16,405 Posts
Wondering if it may be the fuel pump.
Might be. That generation has a known failure mode -- a cracked "cap" and popped o-ring on a chamber on the pump assembly. Sometimes there's initial symptoms, other times the car engine just stops running. Not sure if the U.K. models have the same pump assembly, but certainly, loss of adequate fuel pressure could lead to the engine cranking but not starting. See: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/symptoms-of-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.41182/

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
First check to see if it is getting juice to the plugs - you can do this by removing one plug wire and have someone crank the engine over while you hold it a cm or so from the block. If you get a spark, then it isn't an electrical issue, so then remove a plug and see if it is wet with gas (I'm assuming that this old trick from carburated engine days will still work with these engines). Most likely they will be dry, so it will be time to look at fuel pressure and delivery.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Fuel was all OK along the route? I've been in Africa; you don't always have the supply and quality that you might expect to have in the EU, UK, and America.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume the fuel used in Morocco was fine. The last 2 tankfulls were actually Spanish fuel on my way back to the UK (boat Santander to Plymouth). The petrol pump attendents in Morocco do try to fill your tank to the brim however, and on a couple of occasions fuel was coming out of the filler due to this. The car is actually running okay again now. I tried to start it the next day and after about 25 seconds of turning the ignition it spluttered into life. Used it the last 4 days and it's been fine. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some great unsurfaced roads to be had in Morocco and the Outback coped very well even though some were pretty rough and rocky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, I've owned the car for nearly 8 years and that is the first time it has ever failed to start. Bar for O2 sensor going bad it's been exceptionally reliable. It's done 144,000 miles now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First check to see if it is getting juice to the plugs - you can do this by removing one plug wire and have someone crank the engine over while you hold it a cm or so from the block. If you get a spark, then it isn't an electrical issue, so then remove a plug and see if it is wet with gas (I'm assuming that this old trick from carburated engine days will still work with these engines). Most likely they will be dry, so it will be time to look at fuel pressure and delivery.
Richard, this is an H6 engine. It has no plug wires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts