Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a used 2008 outback 2.5 and when i turn the key in the ignition i am greeted with 3 short honk right when the car self check. not sure what it is, can;t find any info online, id love to fix it.
previous owner has no idea said it was like that forever.

TPMS light is on, not sure if related.

thank you!!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
Any chance there's a remote starter or aftermarket keyless system?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
That means the security system thinks the alarm was triggered while the car was turned off. A million things could be wrong; you may have a body code stored that you can pull with a good scanner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your responses!
- @CSFiend : eveything seems to be stock
- @relative4 : i tried with my scanner, and there is no code active.. good clue for the alarm, at least its somewhere to start

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
That means the security system thinks the alarm was triggered while the car was turned off. A million things could be wrong; you may have a body code stored that you can pull with a good scanner.
Ahh, wasn't aware that was a thing.
@rafi -- does your trip computer show ER __ or does it display the correct trip mileage? Sometimes that 'code' can help point in the correct direction.

If no ER IU (or any other ER xx) code shows in the display, disregard :)

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT
97 Posts
Check the sticky at the top of this page - you can pull codes directly from the instrument cluster. Depending on your scanner, it might miss a code?

Second the alarm. If you are not getting a door open light on the dash when everything is closed, it could be the hood switch.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
try the on board code reader:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html

and something maybe on the cars101 factory alarm page, or in your owners manual.

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

_____

aftermarket or factory alarms (or their half removed remains). may have a extra horn or speaker up on one of the shock towers.
if there is or was a aftermarket system: you are lucky if there is a sticker on the window, or near the battery stating what brand it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts