Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I haven't seen anything on the threads about 30K mile maint. But now i need to go for an:

Oil change
I just changed my air filter and cabin filter
I have just over 34k on the odo

I have been approached about getting the 30 K done
I can't get a straight answer on what is done on a 30K maint to constitute $550, so naturally I don't trust dealers, its how I am.

So, from what I can put together, here is the best that I know that comes with the 30K deal:

-Oil change and filter
-Full inspection
-rotate/balance tires
-Change air filter (which I already did)
-Change fuel filter
-Check PCV system (hose)/Clean it and change PCV valve
-Flush and Fill Coolant system
-Change Spark plugs
-Add additive to fuel and oil (whatever the heck that is)
-Flush and fill coolant system

Ok, so it doesn sound ike your getting a lot, but what is to say they actually do half the work and charge you for the full monty, you know? They say they can deduct from what was already done (air filter).
Is this worth doing?
Is it too much money?
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and BTW, for a manual transmission, should I wait a bit to get the manual trans service and rear diff service done?

Is there a front diff service?

·
Registered
234 Posts
30K, just do an oil and filter, rotate tires, cabin and air filter and the rest is check this and that. My dealer charges $129.00 for a cabin air filter change that takes less than 5 minutes and $17,00 in parts. No thanks! You don't need anti freeze or anything else. I just sold my 2012 Outback with 50K and other than just filter changes and oil changes, nothing was ever needed. The dealer cleaned it up and it went right on the lot.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
-Change fuel filter
-Change Spark plugs

At 30K... Walk, better yet run!!!
Tell 'em no deal, unless it includes replacing the muffler bearings.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey guys,

I haven't seen anything on the threads about 30K mile maint. But now i need to go for an:

Oil change
I just changed my air filter and cabin filter
I have just over 34k on the odo

I have been approached about getting the 30 K done
I can't get a straight answer on what is done on a 30K maint to constitute $550, so naturally I don't trust dealers, its how I am.

So, from what I can put together, here is the best that I know that comes with the 30K deal:

-Oil change and filter
-Full inspection
-rotate/balance tires
-Change air filter (which I already did)
-Change fuel filter
-Check PCV system (hose)/Clean it and change PCV valve
-Change Spark plugs
-Add additive to fuel and oil (whatever the heck that is)
-Flush and fill coolant system

Ok, so it doesn sound ike your getting a lot, but what is to say they actually do half the work and charge you for the full monty, you know? They say they can deduct from what was already done (air filter).
Is this worth doing?
Is it too much money?
Coolant system is 100K coolant dealer might list it but dealer isn't even popping the cap of the radiator to look at your coolant at 30K.

30K service should be about $100 worth of actual stuff done. Read your owners manual - dealers create their own fleece the customer service packages that have nothing to do with the actual car and the real maint listed by the auto maker.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
I agree with island21638 to a point. Doing the air filter is pretty easy. Doing an oil change is not so bad and like most things will require you to buy a few things up front (i.e., tools, etc.) up front but will use over and over. I also agree doing the coolant is likely not necessary. You should also be able to do the plugs yourself and just requires moving a few things out of the way. I do think you should do the brake fluid change, but that can wait till when you need to do the brakes (pads). If you are going to start doing your oil changes I would suggest also installing a fumoto valve which makes the job much, much easier. I also installed speed bleeders when it was time for me to do my brakes which makes changing the brake fluid very easy. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
My mother just took her Legacy in last week for oilchange at the little family dealer which has in just the last 6 months moved to the Fleece the customer service model.

The service rep was very pushy that she MUST have the 30K service! She asked how much $550. She asked him 5 times for a list of things they do. I had already warned her about this dealer tactic.

After going through the list with the service rep she said no thanks I will have the air filter changed my self along with the cabin filter. He started going on and on about brake flush and she held up her hand and told him her local guy charges $80 and she will ask him to do it.

Then said service manager started in with the Warranty validity and she asked him what warranty? Her car was over the standard warranty period. LOL ;-)

When she got the car back from the oil change she saw that they noted
#1 dirty air filter
#2 Dirty cabin filter - however I know they didn't even look at it given there is a piece of packing tape still on the side panel you must remove to gain access to the cabin filter to inspect or replace it ;-)
#3 They listed that the brake fluid is dirty. However last I looked at new fluid and even 10yr old fluid a visual inspection reveals little to nothing regarding dirty fluid LOL

Women are being targeted with strong arm dealer fleecing tactics and I'm sure many men are also.

I'm waiting for the day when dealers start getting hit with Fraudulent repair charges.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolant system is 100K coolant dealer might list it but dealer isn't even popping the cap of the radiator to look at your coolant at 30K.

30K service should be about $100 worth of actual stuff done. Read your owners manual - dealers create their own fleece the customer service packages that have nothing to do with the actual car and the real maint listed by the auto maker.
See, this is what I am afraid of

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with island21638 to a point. Doing the air filter is pretty easy. Doing an oil change is not so bad and like most things will require you to buy a few things up front (i.e., tools, etc.) up front but will use over and over. I also agree doing the coolant is likely not necessary. You should also be able to do the plugs yourself and just requires moving a few things out of the way. I do think you should do the brake fluid change, but that can wait till when you need to do the brakes (pads). If you are going to start doing your oil changes I would suggest also installing a fumoto valve which makes the job much, much easier. I also installed speed bleeders when it was time for me to do my brakes which makes changing the brake fluid very easy. Just my $0.02
Air filter was already done
OIl change, need to do that, coming on 4k now
Coolant looks green still, lol
How often are you suppose to do plugs?
Yeah, true about the brake fluid! Ill wait for that

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Check your owners manual it lists the plug change interval. Though most of the engine guys I've talked with seem to thing the plug change intervals most auto makers list are on the very very early side of worst case use and wear so your call on what you typical vehicle abuse might require.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
60K plugs per the maint manual.<O:p</O:p
120K is more what I expect for Iridium. Could be ‘Subaru conformance’ to EPA guidelines.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you think the plugs are definitely iridium, just that it has to conform to EPA standards?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The PN points to NGK Iridium, which are 120K plugs by design.<O:p</O:p
I wouldn’t be surprised if SOA (lawyers) wanted it in the manual to meet some mpg/emissions/marketing target.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The PN points to NGK Iridium, which are 120K plugs by design.<O:p</O:p
I wouldn’t be surprised if SOA (lawyers) wanted it in the manual to meet some mpg/emissions/marketing target.<O:p</O:p
I was thinking the same when I saw this. The other thing I'm starting to wonder is that more and more official SOA information seems to be throwing bones to the dealers so they can generate more shop income.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
... throwing bones to the dealers so they can generate more shop income.
Sure why not, what with cars becoming more efficient/reliable (past electronics) = less shop time.
<O:p</O:p
And this thread proves it… -Add additive to fuel and oil (whatever the heck that is).<O:p</O:p
And this coming from a factory dealer. What’s next, “See how clean the fumes are now”.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts