Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sub OB 2.5i Premium. l Infiniti G37
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's outback is creeping up on 30,000 miles and is scheduled for a major service. Most of the items to be done are DIY things, oil/filter change, air filter change, tranny fluid etc. no major parts replacements are included.The 30K service costs around $620.00. I can do most of the things on the schedule but get the impression the dealer is still going to hit me hard with the price doing the inspections etc and if I don't pay, I'm sure that getting any warranty work will be much more difficult if I don't play the game.
Does anyone know the price of the 30k service at other dealerships., $620 seems kinda steep for what is getting done here?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
I'm getting close to the 30k mark on my OB as well. My dealership told me I'm looking at $300 for the 30k service so I'm thinking you're being overcharged!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
My wife's outback is creeping up on 30,000 miles and is scheduled for a major service. Most of the items to be done are DIY things, oil/filter change, air filter change, tranny fluid etc. no major parts replacements are included.The 30K service costs around $620.00. I can do most of the things on the schedule but get the impression the dealer is still going to hit me hard with the price doing the inspections etc and if I don't pay, I'm sure that getting any warranty work will be much more difficult if I don't play the game.
Does anyone know the price of the 30k service at other dealerships., $620 seems kinda steep for what is getting done here?
#1 You are not required to go to the dealer for ANY maintenance and still be covered by warranty. You will not void the warranty by doing maintenance and inspection work yourself or getting an independent shop to do it. Just make sure you keep your records. For denial of warranty claims they have to prove abuse/accident in most cases to deny you, your records can help prove your side if there is a question.

#2 If you have the CVT it is recommended NOT to change the tranny fluid. There is no recommended interval for fluid changes and SOA has suggested the premature fluid changes might cause problems (member said SOA said that in another thread, I tend to believe it but you can make your own decision). Well unless you tow, then yea it needs to be changed and you are actually late because that should happen at 24k miles. The fluid can only be purchased at the dealer as there is no known aftermarket replacement CVT fluid yet.

#3 never buy "packages" from the dealer. They are designed to take your $$$ and give no real benefit. (imo)

If you're dead set on going to the dealer order service a la carte like buying off the dollar menu at a fast food place. Have the dealer "inspect the CVT" or whatever else and do all the other stuff yourself.

Things I plan to do myself when the 30K comes:
Spark plugs
Oil
Air Cleaner
rotate the tires
inspect belts
inspect coolant
inspect fuel system
inspect brakes

The only thing I'll need help for or have my indy shop do is the brake fluid change.

You can find most of the info you need to do all of those things online... even how to inspect the CVT fluid.

Most of the time you won't get a "master tech" working on your car but some poor under trained kid told to do a 2 hour job in 45 minutes.

IMO only go to the dealer for warranty work itself (which in most cases IS required). You are far more likely to get a trained tech for that kind of work because it is a higher risk job for the Dealer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Exactly what Novablue said.

Use a good Synthetic oil and a Subaru filter ( they are cheap in cost) Air and cabin filter. they will take about 15 minutes tops at a cost of about $30.00 The dealership will charge about $150-200 for this (rip off) The cabin filter will take 5 minutes tops. Ask what the dealership charges and you will see why they rip you off of this service. Rotate tires and check brakes ( any tire place will do it for free with a coupon). Check everything else by eye, easy. Get a FUMOTO ENGINEERING Fumoto Valve. This will make you oil changes fast and clean, no mess.. After the dealership did the first two oil changes 7,500 and 15K I checked tire pressures, every time the tires where set at the wrong spec's not even close. Also they put in 5 quarts of oil not 4.4.... Remember your basic services like a 30K might be done by the low guy on the poll, i.e.: the new guy with less experience.

Total cost less than $100.00 and you will know you had it done right. When you check your oil after the change just put in 4.5 quarts max. It might show low for a few hours, this is normal. Check the next morning. It will be full. Also don't leave the key on so you can listen to the radio. This will cause your oil light to stay on after the service for a while.(Key out)

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
... $620 seems kinda steep for what is getting done here?
That depends on what is getting done.

Be aware that a "dealer recommended" service schedule often
far exceeds the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Check
your owner's manual, and make sure the dealer-recommended
30k service isn't padded with $$$$ of totally unnecessary fluff.

...you pay for what you get,

Looby

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I am at 25 k for my 2017 Outback. Already planning for the service ahead, I am planning to get a quote for the 30 k Service from dealership and then compare to local mechanic. It is really a shame and a sham, what the dealership does.

See if this is useful.
Automatic Transmission
Brake fluids are the most critical things that need to be replaced at 30k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts