Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a friendly letter from my Subaru dealer offering 30 mth/30,000 ml maintenance for $464.95 with coupon. Letter stated that work will be performed as per warranty and maintenance booklet or as per dealer recommendation. Upon seeing this I checked my booklet to see what I'm getting for my money. Ah oil and filter change, that normally run's me $60 so where is the other $400 going. Ok change brake fluid,ac filter,air cleaner element and" inspect" a total of 10 other items. No tyre rotation necessary as they "forgot" to do this last time so I got it done elsewhere recently.I'm sure any of the inspection items that need replacing will be an additional cost so who knows the final cost of the work. Two things, what do you make of the cost and where can I get both filters myself as I have the time to replace them so why not.

·
Registered
2011 outback,2.5 Ruby Red
209 Posts
Try AutoZone for your filters. K&N ac filter is about $15.00 and it takes no more than 5min. to install & the dealer charges $79.99 to do it !

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
721 Posts
I think the cost is quite high, but I'm not surprised. And yes, you can do maintenance yourself. It's recommended you save receipts for parts, though.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Premium
75 Posts
I changed my cabin air filter myself the other day and believe me I'm not even close to a mechanic! Searching for tutorials helped. Don't let the dealer screw you over. It's easy!

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
$60 for an oil change, that's rich.
Agree. I can pay $50 for the "5,000 mile service" with full synthetic oil change, that includes a tire rotation and balance check on 2 tires (the slip says front tires, not sure if's the ones coming OFF the front or the ones going ON the front) as well as "inspection" of the driveline/suspension, fluid top-up and a wash.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
I will let someone else change my brake fluid, (that cost is around $50), I did everything else as required by the manual myself.
I dont use a "dealer" schedule. They are just trying to pad their pockets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts