Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer offered to do the dealer clear protection for $300. Of course, this is a great deal compared to their $700+ "MSRP," and it even seems like a decent deal compared to what others have mentioned ($400-$700), but do any of you have experience with or knowledge of the typical dealer clear bra product and whether this is a cool deal?

Does it cover enough? Is it worth it? What do you think?

All I know is that my van which I traded in was trashed on the front end from little random rock marks, etc. I'm wondering if I should try to cut that off at the pass this time around.

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it is $795 or something normally. Basically, while in the finance office, I haggled the price down on a number of items including this stuff. They offered me about a dozen "amazing" deals, most of which I immediately declined because I had my price where I wanted it. For a moment I got them down to $300 on the clear bra along with another item, but then at the end I decided to hold off on the bra - was just not sure. The lady was cool enough and said she would honor the price if I changed my mind, so, fair enough.

It actually covers that front of the hood, front end, lights, parts around the doors and handles, etc. It seemed to be pretty standard. I will have to ask them a few more questions I guess before committing.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
There is only one "3M" shield product they hold the patent on it there are plenty of fake plastic stickers sold under the same general product name find out if the dealer is using real 3M product and don't take their word for it ask to see the packaging.

I wouldn't waste a dime on the non 3M material given the whole point of the bra system is to use the 3M product which was developed to protect helicopter blades from sand in desert applications- it actually works and works very very well!.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
121 Posts
Couple comments:

--Any installation that doesn't specifically include the front bumper (I myself wouldn't be satisfied if they only said "front end") guarantees a substandard.....if not downright lousy.....ownership experience. Be sure to ensure it includes both headlights and fog lights. Finally, I have no clue what they mean with "parts around the doors and handles.

--I too seriously doubt this is the 3M branded product.....they'd almost assuredly broadcast that fact.....though it's at least possible they're talking about Venture Shield (now a 3M brand) or Xpel, both of which are among major players in this business after 3M.

--Ask the dealer if (or how long) the installation is warranted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I will be sure to clarify things if I look into it further. I Was not quoting them verbatim, but merely paraphrasing from memory. Front bumper, headlights and fog lights were included in what I meant by "front end." Parts around the doors included things like under the handles, etc.

If I decide to look into it further, I will post. Money being what it is, we'll see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
05 Outback 3.0R
8 Posts
Now my two cents might not be to credible, however I've experienced two subaru's. One with the "3M" material on the front installed when new, and one subaru with no "3M". Obviously the one without suffered from terrible rock chips and scratches. The Outback, which I purchased about 6 months ago, a 2005 3.0r, came with the 3M stuff installed from the dealership. The car now has 75k miles and is seven years old, and there isn't a rock chip or a scuff on the front end. In addition it is much easier to clean, bugs and debris come right off.
Although it is noticeable where the clear bra is, you can see small line on the hood where there is 3M and where there is no 3M. However that doesn't bother me because there isn't a chip anywhere! Granted, I didn't have to pay for the initial cost of the clear bra, however I would highly recommend it because it will help the resale value and keep the front of your outback looking fresh.
I'm sure you are referencing the newer outbacks, but the clear bra on my 2005 outback is on my: hood, headlights, fog lights, bumper, and side mirrors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.