Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to do a quick run from Colorado to California and back....3000 miles in 4 days, with a 24-hour break included in that 4 days. In short, I like the OB better after the trip than I did before. Usually during the first big road trip with a new car, I'll find that "fatal flaw" that drives me nuts. I didn't find that with my '13.

I haven't done a total trip average, but individual tanks ranged from 26.9 to 30.4, hand calculated. I needed to make time, so I made absolutely no effort to save fuel...I ran a tick under 80 mph for pretty much the entire trip, except when construction and traffic prevented me from doing so. If I had to slow down for anything at all, I got back up to speed as quickly as possible as soon as I could (read that as a heavy right foot). The trip started at just over 6000 feet in elevation, hit just under 9000 ft, had lots of ups and downs along the way, and ended in CA at sea level, with the return trip being the reverse. I had me, my dog, and some luggage/miscellaneous stuff...roughly 400 lbs total weight in the car. Tire pressures were set at 33 front, 31 rear before I left. I'm pretty sure that all the fuel I used had ethanol in it, and even though 85-86 octane is available at higher elevations, I used 87 the entire trip.

Highs: seat comfort & support, cruise control accuracy. I was able to go 3-4 hours in the seat at a time, with the limiting factor being bladder capacity. I've got a bad back and neck that can cause me some pretty intense pain after as little as 10-15 minutes in seemingly normal sitting positions. Even though I did 1100 miles on the first day, I emerged pain-free and not fatigued. The cruise control worked very well with the CVT...regardless of terrain I stayed within 1-2 mph of my set speed.

Lows: There's a little more tire noise than I'd like. I think when I end up putting different tires on it later this year, that should get better. The front passenger door seems to have developed a bit of a rattle/clunk over really harsh impacts, but was otherwise quiet. I'll nose around to see if I can find the source.

Other comments: I really like how the CVT handles hills. I found myself getting frustrated with other drivers, because their speeds would drop at the first sign of a hill, especially at high elevation. Not an issue with the CVT...revs go up a bit, and I'm over the hill without slowing down.

I never once felt like I needed more power, or that I should have bought the 3.6R. Passing was easy, and it was very easy to run with or faster than traffic in all situations. And I didn't even beat on the car!

All in all, I continue to be impressed with my OB. :29:

EDIT: 1st day was 1150 miles (just checked), and it was a 19-hour break at my destination in CA, not 24. Fuel economy was better on the return trip to CO, mostly because it was about 20 degrees cooler for most of it, so I didn't use the AC as much...on the way to CA, the AC was on for almost the entire trip.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Good times!! We have the CVT and have put a little over 12k on our '12 since the 22nd of December with most of that being a 400 mile one way trip to see family on a monthly basis. Like you I don't feel the need for the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
Glad to hear that your OB served you well on your trip! I took a mini roadtrip yesterday which was 80% highway and I held the cruise at 63 and I averged between 33.5-34.2 per the trip computer, so your average seems right for that speed.

I will agree that the Outback is one of the most comfortable cars out there. When I had my 2011, I took a 400 miles trip and didn't need to stop once.

Another thing I noticed was that when going up a hill, my Outback holds a lower rpm than my 2012 Impreza. I took a 1,400 mile roadtrip in my Impreza(which got worse highway mileage) and the rpms sometimes shot up to 3,300 while going up a hill.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
As far as tire or road noise I ended up switching to premium tires from the Contis at about 17k. My handling improved slightly and noise is about the same.I found the OEM tires to be a quiet soft tire overall. Throughout my years of buying cars I have found tires can make a small difference and the car is what it is. If you want untra quiet than maybe Lexus has the answer. The OB for the money is quiet IMO.

·
Registered
'13 BBP SAP 2.5
90 Posts
You guys are using cruise during breakin?

I am only getting around 28 mpg but I don't have 700 miles on her yet. I expect the mpg to jump up aft break in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats! I just picked up my 2012 2.5 MT on Thursday and have enjoyed giving it its first runs; furthest afield was about 75m rt so far, although I begin commuting 120m a day next week and will be able to really see how it performs.

Have used about 1/2 tank so far and computer says I'm averaging about 24mpg - I've doing more city than highway at the moment, so I'm pleased with that (can't deny I was worried about the 19mpg rating); I'm hopeful that on highway runs I can manage the low 30's that others report getting. I find the engine FAR more powerful than my previous cars (where I never felt I was lacking either) - this feels like a v6 compared to those!!

I agree with you about the comfort. My mind doesn't actually like the "lazboy" feel of the seats and, to some extent, suspension - I've always preferred flatter, more "small car" seats and ride - but apparently my body thinks its great, as after months of stiffness, I'm finding I get out of the Outback fresh and with no creaks of any kind.

I will say that this is the most significant difference between vehicles I've ever experienced - not sure if that's the AWD, the quite different clutch feel (I find I need to give it more gas in 1/2 than I did the Saturn), or the very different steering, but it's definitely a big change. On day 3 now, and starting to get used to it; I'm sure once I do I'll be very happy, even though it's so different from my previous cars and at the moment I'm still expecting something different than I'm getting. Definitely more of a "sedan" feel than anything I've had before and vastly quieter than any car we've had (which may also contribute to the "big car" feeling).

Small thing I absolutely love: the space under the cargo floor! All those things like jumper cables, icemitts etc that you don't need all that often, but still need to carry in the car.

Small thing that makes me wonder why they did it that way: 3.5mm jack in the armrest cubby. Why not put it somewhere with the radio where you're more likely to plug in? I don't want to store my mp3 player (in my case, my phone) during a trip, so the only practical place to put it when it's wired in is in the cupholders. Considering adding a bluetooth kit for my phone; not sure yet....

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
I found OB to be very similar to my parents 2010 ES350 in terms of noise.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I found OB to be very similar to my parents 2010 ES350 in terms of noise.

I do remember a interview with the head of FHI around the 2008 timeframe and he hinted at Lexus like quality and quietness for Subaru. When I purchased my 10 OB in 09 I was surprised at the level of refinement a sub 30k vehicle could have. After a little more than 3 years my wife and I still admire our OB and plan on keeping it another 3 at least, and thats coming from a guy who likes to trade up every 3 years or less.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are using cruise during breakin?
Nope. I had 1008 miles on the odometer when I started the trip, and first used the cruise at about 1200 miles.

As far as the noise comments, I chalk it up to a combination of tires and road surface. On a good surface the OB is very quiet, but on some surfaces the Contis get a little loud.

And I need to update my mileage. Filled up the tank this morning after posting (and after cleaning the bugs off the car!), closing out the last tank of the road trip. Last tank was 32.3 mpg...Pretty darn good for nearly 80 mph and not even trying for fuel economy. However, that tank saw an elevation drop of about 3000 feet and very little AC use.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
^I have been using cruise however my RPMs are always changing with the CVT and I can't go more than 5 minutes without eyesight having to slow down for someone so I haven't worried about it.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
Even in FL with cruise engaged, I cannot maintain an specific RPM. It easily varies between 2k and 3.5k.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2012 9 months young and 27,000 flawless miles. My wife drive 120 miles a day. Lifetime average on fuel 30.3 with tire set at 3 pounds over door jam recommendation. We use Amsoil XL oil and change every 7,500. I do this myself and use a Fumolo Valve
Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

Knock on plastic zero problems, tire still look new with 9/32's left. Rotated tires once at 15K. Getting ready for the 30K service, again I will do the service myself. The cabin filter takes all of about 3 minutes to change. The dealer wanted $149.00 and the part is $17.00 Get real! Drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Lows: The front passenger door seems to have developed a bit of a rattle/clunk over really harsh impacts, but was otherwise quiet. I'll nose around to see if I can find the source.
Check your passenger side seat belt height adjustment slider by the b-pillar!
That might be your culprit!

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
QUOTE=soldierguy;446287]
I haven't done a total trip average, but individual tanks ranged from 26.9 to 30.4, hand calculated. I needed to make time, so I made absolutely no effort to save fuel...I ran a tick under 80 mph for pretty much the entire trip, except when construction and traffic prevented me from doing so.
[/QUOTE]

Just completed a 3500 miles trip (Chicago to Yellowstone) last month. 26.7 mpg for the entire trip(3.6R).(Ethanol gas)
I was averaging 28.7 mpg while on flat land, more congested, slower speed limits.(chicago, WISconsion & Minneasota). Then when I hit western MN and SD, SPeed limit goes up to 75mph:29::29:, Then I start averaging 85 mph... and MPG drop 2-3 mpg.

Really appreciate the extra power at higher elevation. I remember on the way back in WYoming, there were this big V8 truck and another 2.5 OB(gen4),(We were following each other for 100-150 miles(at 85-95 mph), and when we hit the hill just outside LAramie, WY, both the V8 truck(I assume it is loaded with stuffs) and 2.5OB really struggle (to maintain even 60 mph)... TO give you an idea how big the hill is,I had to drop to 3rd gear (paddle shifter) 2-3 times and I think once down to 2nd gear (due to slower vechicle overtaking another even slower vechicle in front of me). I can maintain the car speed up to 75 mph during this long climb but definitely a struggle trying to get back to 75 mph after slowing way down to 2nd gear mentioned above.

It is also noticeable the power lost at high elevation ..... Subaru, where is the turbo OB?:):)

AS far as comfort and convenience goes, the OB definitely is definitely not as good a vechicle for long dostance/cross country travel then our other vechicle, Toyota Sienna Minivan......OK, maybe the minivan will be slower in the mountains.....but the space(passenger and cargo) and comfort with the minivan makes it a no brainer....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts