Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's actually at around 29K, but with so little travel I figured I'd round up. I'll do lists to make it easy

Positives:
+Rides like a dream
+Quiet, and comfortable
+Infotainment system never gave me issues before or after the update
+Got me to work in a foot of snow
+Still have a few thousand miles of tread left on the OE tires
+Seat squeak problem was fixed by my local Subaru dealer by replacing the seat frame within the first few thousand miles
+Get very solid MPG's(2.5L)

Negatives:
-Was hit by a tractor trailer recap exploding and had to have the front fascia replaced
-It is slow

I know it's a shame, looks like I'm going to have to trade. I figured I'd share some positivity, this being my first Subaru I'm honestly sold on the product, and I love mine. Next car will be another Subaru.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
487 Posts
It's actually at around 29K, but with so little travel I figured I'd round up. I'll do lists to make it easy

Positives:
+Rides like a dream
+Quiet, and comfortable
+Infotainment system never gave me issues before or after the update
+Got me to work in a foot of snow
+Still have a few thousand miles of tread left on the OE tires
+Seat squeak problem was fixed by my local Subaru dealer by replacing the seat frame within the first few thousand miles
+Get very solid MPG's(2.5L)

Negatives:
-Was hit by a tractor trailer recap exploding and had to have the front fascia replaced
-It is slow

I know it's a shame, looks like I'm going to have to trade. I figured I'd share some positivity, this being my first Subaru I'm honestly sold on the product, and I love mine. Next car will be another Subaru.
With such a positive review, why trade? BTW we resisted going from a 19 to a 20 Outback, but once we drove the 20 we were sold. Only negatives on the 20 vs the 18/19 is the smaller center console and smaller display for Google Maps using Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With such a positive review, why trade? BTW we resisted going from a 19 to a 20 Outback, but once we drove the 20 we were sold. Only negatives on the 20 vs the 18/19 is the smaller center console and smaller display for Google Maps using Apple CarPlay.
The trade was a joke, I meant to put an exclamation point but it was late and I just went on to bed lol

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
520 Posts
We went from a forester to an outback as an upgrade. The outback is much nicer. But I personally liked the forester. If Subaru pulls their head out of their a$$ and brings back a turbo model I would consider it, otherwise there’s no reason to really trade. Looked at the “redisgned” 20 and didn't see it as any vast improvement. Just a minor evolution, not a revolution. I also like that the gen 5 doesn’t suffer from the gdi issues. Yes a gdi motor is more efficient but comes with a price of not being able to clean carbon build up on valves simply and cheaply.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the turbo model still requires premium gas, that would be a huge deciding factor these days. In NY regular gas is $2/G while premium has is $3/G. That's something to think about. That's why the 3.6 OB was such so attractive, you got the extra power with no turbo lag and it took regular gas.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the turbo model still requires premium gas, that would be a huge deciding factor these days. In NY regular gas is $2/G while premium has is $3/G. That's something to think about. That's why the 3.6 OB was such so attractive, you got the extra power with no turbo lag and it took regular gas.
Fuel economy is a top priority and is why we went with the 2.5 the first time. When I say it's slow, it's really not an inconvenience to me, and doesn't affect my overall experience. My wife wanted a Honda but the AWD models were all more expensive than Subarus, and their DI tech is causing them to have terrible fuel dilution in the oil reservoir. Once we drove the OB it was game over, she couldn't get over how nice it rode, and frankly the interior comfort is one of the best I've driven in a sub 30K car.

I filled it up from just under a half tank yesterday in VA for $17, and that's after a 240 mile round trip for some unfortunate family business in another state. Everything works as it should, and my local dealer is great to work with. It's a big difference than the service I've seen lately with GM/FCA products that others in my family buy. I will probably buy a previous gen Forester, and wait on engineers to work the kinks out on DI motors.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
878 Posts
Probably a Forester
I'm not exactly an Outback fan boy, but I had a loaner '20 Forester Sport a couple weeks back and was even less impressed with that. The handling and steering feel was even worse than our Outback. Hated the tiny center console and location of cup holders. Considerably more wind/road noise....I realize it's a cheaper vehicle but thought maybe it would feel a little more substantial given the new global platform, but it still felt quite inferior. Oh and every time the transmission would "downshift" on the highway to maintain speed on the hills it would jump 3-4 times like a bad torque converter. Hoping I can get a new Outback loaner next time for a more fair comparison of the latest gen.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not exactly an Outback fan boy, but I had a loaner '20 Forester Sport a couple weeks back and was even less impressed with that. The handling and steering feel was even worse than our Outback. Hated the tiny center console and location of cup holders. Considerably more wind/road noise....I realize it's a cheaper vehicle but thought maybe it would feel a little more substantial given the new global platform, but it still felt quite inferior. Oh and every time the transmission would "downshift" on the highway to maintain speed on the hills it would jump 3-4 times like a bad torque converter. Hoping I can get a new Outback loaner next time for a more fair comparison of the latest gen.
The Outback would remain the family car, the forester would be for my personal work transportation. Any torque converter will downshift going uphill unless you're driving a vehicle with decent torque.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
529 Posts
After reading on here how slow and a 'gutless wonder' it was I didn't even test drive a 2.5 and went straight for the 3.6. I'm 'that guy' too I guess.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
Any torque converter will downshift going uphill unless you're driving a vehicle with decent torque.
The torque converter lockup clutches in 2015-up Legacy and Outbacks (and presumably in Foresters, too) remain engaged at all speeds above ~15 mph. They do not "downshift." Any "downshifting" is accomplished by changing the Variator ratio in the CVT.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
200 Posts
After reading on here how slow and a 'gutless wonder' it was I didn't even test drive a 2.5 and went straight for the 3.6. I'm 'that guy' too I guess.
Agreed. I never drove the 4 cyl Outback till I had a loaner recently. It was similar to mine feature wise and may of been a 2019. What a dog it was. Shortly after leaving the dealership I'm pulling onto a long entry ramp to highway, slight incline, and that OB was making sounds that I never heard before. Seriously. I knew it was a 4 right away but thought it's way low on oil or has high mileage. It had 6k plus miles, not sure on the oil. Wow.
That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I find the Outback gets on the interstate fine, you just gotta give it a little go juice, and honestly the boxer intake noise is far better than any other 4 banger I've drove. My first car was a 2006 Nissan Sentra, and that could be dangerous going up hill while merging on the interstate. All it had was 122HP(maybe) and a 4 speed auto, I had some moments where I'd put the pedal to the floor trying not to get run over by tractor trailers on I-77.

My Camaro SS and dads Corvette being the easiest to get up to speed

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After discovering yet another nail in the tire, I've already had one plugged, I'm just going to deem this set cursed and probably look into getting new tires

1 - 20 of 38 Posts