Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
After discovering yet another nail in the tire, I've already had one plugged, I'm just going to deem this set cursed and probably look into getting new tires
30k isn't terribly horrible to get out of a set of tires. At least now you can get tires for your particular needs. When stuff like this happens I make myself feel better by upgrading if possible.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
... I'm just going to deem this set cursed and probably look into getting new tires
That won't make the nails go away, though. Better to find out where they're coming from.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let me guess: Bridgestone Duelers.
Honestly the tires have been good to me, probably got 5K worth of tread left. I'm heading to the Subaru dealer this morning for a plug in the short term, it's holding air, so as long as the tire doesn't blow out going down the road it'll be fine till I get the new set.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Honestly the tires have been good to me, probably got 5K worth of tread left. I'm heading to the Subaru dealer this morning for a plug in the short term, it's holding air, so as long as the tire doesn't blow out going down the road it'll be fine till I get the new set.
I plug mine at home, got tired of going somewhere and waiting to get it done (see what I did right there?). Whatever they did should last the life of the tire, whatever is remaining for sure!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
529 Posts
If I made my choices based on things I read hear I would never even consider an Outback. I tend to make up my own mind.
When you hear a LOT about something at some point you do start to believe it - if only somewhat. I come from driving 3.7, 3.3, 4.6, 3.5 turbo. So 2.5 doesn't sound that good unless it's T'd Then I'd have to try it myself.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agreed. I never drove the 4 cyl Outback till I had a loaner recently. It was similar to mine feature wise and may of been a 2019. What a dog it was. Shortly after leaving the dealership I'm pulling onto a long entry ramp to highway, slight incline, and that OB was making sounds that I never heard before. Seriously. I knew it was a 4 right away but thought it's way low on oil or has high mileage. It had 6k plus miles, not sure on the oil. Wow.
That's my 2 cents.
thanks for reaffirming :)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,783 Posts
When you hear a LOT about something at some point you do start to believe it - if only somewhat.
That's central to the propagandists' creed. Further ... "There is no need for propaganda to be rich in intellectual content." ~ Joseph Goebbels (1926)

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Went and got my oil changed and the tire fixed. They found a leaky shock upon inspection, will be getting that replaced under warranty next week sometime.

My roads are rough and everyones driveway is fairly "offroad" including mine so I'm not too surprised.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
542 Posts
my OEM tires took a nail around 34k.. didnt know if i wanted to go up in size or change rims, so i ended up buying another low mileage set of OEM tires and swapping them on. theyre not terrible, but they leave alot to be desired- after being on my "second" set

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
230 Posts
When you hear a LOT about something at some point you do start to believe it - if only somewhat.
I believe my butt . . . In my particular situation I turn left out of a dirt driveway onto an uphill climb on a four lane highway where most people tend to ignore the speed limit and drive closer to 70 mph.

No matter what I'm driving I know I have to wait for a proper sized hole in both directions before I start moving. With my 3.6 I accelerate smoothly and rarely get over 2,000 RPM as I merge into traffic. I had a 2.5 loaner once and left more space than usual because I knew it wouldn't be as quick to get to speed. After revving past 5,000 RPM and seeming to get nowhere I ended up pulling off the right side of the road with a puckered butt to wait for an even bigger hole before trying to get back on the road!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Everything went dandy with the warranty work today. Took about an hour to replace a shock, which surprised me, and they aligned it for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I believe my butt . . . In my particular situation I turn left out of a dirt driveway onto an uphill climb on a four lane highway where most people tend to ignore the speed limit and drive closer to 70 mph.

No matter what I'm driving I know I have to wait for a proper sized hole in both directions before I start moving. With my 3.6 I accelerate smoothly and rarely get over 2,000 RPM as I merge into traffic. I had a 2.5 loaner once and left more space than usual because I knew it wouldn't be as quick to get to speed. After revving past 5,000 RPM and seeming to get nowhere I ended up pulling off the right side of the road with a puckered butt to wait for an even bigger hole before trying to get back on the road!
3.6 is so smooth.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,732 Posts
So, the consensus is the 2.5 is obviously superior. For whatever reason, my 2.5 decided to give me 28 mpg city lately, hand calculated. (Maybe the petro blend got upgraded?) It is a utilitarian car for me. I don’t care about the 0-60 time. I choose more range over more power, especially with the Trump virus 🦠 out there doing its thing.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,631 Posts
3.6 is so smooth.
I had a Forester loaner 10 days ago while the dealer was replacing spark plugs on my 2015 3.6R. It was base trim level and felt really unrefined compared to what I'm driving. I had a 2019 Outback 2.5 Premium trim as a loaner last year for a wheel bearing replacement. It was a lot quieter than the Forester I just drove. I don't know if higher trim level Foresters have more sound insulation.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts