Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i 6M/T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really impressed with how the Outback performed on this road trip. I travleled from Chicago to Colorado and back with lots of trips in between in a two week span, about 3100 miles. It was about 80% interstate, 20% mountain passes in Colorado. My trip computer said I averaged 28.5mpg for the 3100 miles but I tend to round that down to 27.5mpg hand calculated. I was averaging 73-78mph on I-80. I was kind of worried about lane wandering on I-80, but honestly had minimal issues. Leaving Fort Collins for Chicago today, my first gas tank lasted 480 miles, pretty **** good, even though its because it was down hill the entire tank. Most of my other tanks lasted in the 400-420mi range I believe.

The car drove very smoothly and handled snow pack/ice on I-80 in Iowa and Nebraska for 500 miles due driving the day after winter strom Draco. There were literally hundreds of semis and cars littered in the ditches, it was pretty ominous. I noticed one white 4th Gen Outback in a ditch LOL. I can honestly say I did not feel any slipping on the snow pack or ice, it felt planted to the ground. :29:

Just a couple of pictures:

I have never seen I-80 like this and I have never seen a grader plowing an interstate.

The interstate finally cleared up in western Nebraska

The road to the house, not much snow at all, but still pretty slick in the corners.

Overall, I'm a happy camper!!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
I had a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited. I'd have to dig out the exact numbers, but I think I got 26.x mpg driving from Colorado Springs to MN and back this summer.

Replaced the Outback with a 2013 Acura RDX AWD. Just made the same ~2500mi trip around Christmas and averaged 21.9mpg.

It was pretty cold (-20 one morning) up there though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts