Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, almost 32.4 mpg...

I headed out this morning for a long drive. Much of the highway has 75 mph limits, and short section has 85 mph. So, I figured I would take the opportunity to test my mileage because my new Outback had about 2000 miles on it. I hadn't been really impressed with the mileage so far, with numbers reflecting those of many others reported here.

I made the decision to limit my speed to 65-67 mph, and accelerate easily (i.e., keep it around 2000 rpm). I drove 647.4 miles, the vast majority between 65-67 mph. A couple times I accelerated to about 70-72 to pass someone, I was stuck in a couple traffic jams in Dallas, and I puttered around in a few small towns looking at stuff. It was a little odd having other cars pass me all day on the highway, but I have to admit it was way less stressful than fighting to get down the road.

2013 premium 2.5 CVT. Last week my Outback was pinging some during harder acceleration, so I switched to 89 octane gas (couldn't find ethanol free) and have used it since. My tires are set at 36/34. I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.

So I filled up this morning and took off on the journey. Cruising at 65-67 mph the engine will just buzz along between 1900 and 2000 rpm. I used cruise control for probably 65% of the trip. It was a clear day, ranging from 50 to 70 degrees, and light winds. Actually, it was a beautiful day in Texas (and southern Oklahoma)! So, my computer read 32.4 mpg average at the end of the day. I couldn't wait to fill it back up and see what it actually did. It used 20.62 gallons, yielding 31.40 mpg.

I feel much more comfortable knowing my Outback can manage 30+ mpg. I just had to drive it right! :D

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, TBM, with Sun/Nav/Eyesight
54 Posts
Congrats:29:

I too have been having much better mpg's recently. I'm averaging almost 27mpg in 50/50 driving here in northern Cali. Can't wait to see what happens, if anything, after the first service next weekend!

HOORAY 2013 OUTBACK! HOORAY BEER!
:7:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
amazingly HIGH , I average 22mpgs since I do a vast majority of
my driving in the city, but today I drove 120 miles on the Freeway,
and I noticed the Outback can manage 30 mpgs Hwy if I drive carefully.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
My tires are set at 36/34. I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.
This made me chuckle. You've been reading all those MPG threads, haha!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
If I drive all highway I can get over 30 which I do find somewhat remarkable.
I do agree that if you lock it in at 65 it is so much less stressful.
I used to join the left lane parade, all driving 9mph over the limit, but got tired of it. They really don't get anywhere all that much quicker, and I find the parade irritating.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6, 2019 Crosstrek, 02 BMW 330Ci
36 Posts
I've managed a hand calculated 31.7MPG in my 06 Outback 2.5i 4eat over a couple tanks.

Here in Canada, 2013 Outback's are rated at the equivalent of just over 36 US MPG.

I'm looking at upgrading in the new future, and am expecting 34MPG highway at least. Anyone getting that yet?

·
Registered
2017 OB Premium 2.5 CVT
136 Posts
Warmer weather makes all the difference. I did 30+ mpg tanks last summer pretty routinely, mostly highway driving at 65mph. This winter I'm getting 25-26 mpg.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This made me chuckle. You've been reading all those MPG threads, haha!
I do try to stay methodological!

If I drive all highway I can get over 30 which I do find somewhat remarkable.
I do agree that if you lock it in at 65 it is so much less stressful.
I used to join the left lane parade, all driving 9mph over the limit, but got tired of it. They really don't get anywhere all that much quicker, and I find the parade irritating.
Well, driving over 600 miles, 10 mph quicker would have made a big difference in time. But, it's definitely worth it to slow down if you have the time.

I've managed a hand calculated 31.7MPG in my 06 Outback 2.5i 4eat over a couple tanks.

Here in Canada, 2013 Outback's are rated at the equivalent of just over 36 US MPG.

I'm looking at upgrading in the new future, and am expecting 34MPG highway at least. Anyone getting that yet?
Are you saying Canadian outbacks are rated at 36 miles per US gallon? I'd imagine that I'd have to keep mine under 60 mph to manage 34 mpg, but I don't know if it's possible.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.

I feel much more comfortable knowing my Outback can manage 30+ mpg. I just had to drive it right! :D
so what happen when Their an extra passenger sitting on the gas door side tilting the gas tank a bit? :):confused:
Do you always fill up in the morning only?

30+ mpg is great! enjoy it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Too bad our speed limits here in TX are 75, 80 or even 85. If you try going 65, you're going to get killed. I wind up getting about 24.5mpg in my 2012 2.5 CVT with a yakima roof rack on LP12s. That's in about a 65/35 Hwy/City split. I can get about 26 without the rack.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Too bad our speed limits here in TX are 75, 80 or even 85. If you try going 65, you're going to get killed. I wind up getting about 24.5mpg in my 2012 2.5 CVT with a yakima roof rack on LP12s. That's in about a 65/35 Hwy/City split. I can get about 26 without the rack.
Stop complaining abt high speed limit!
They won't write you a ticket for going 65... (Only under 45mph)
If you like Low speed limit, come to CHicago!

SPeed limit here in windy city is a laughable 55 mph... EVeryone goes at 85 mph (or 5 mph when stuck in traffic)... you still get "run over" if you drive 65mph.... But if you are really unlucky and get caught driving 5mph over average car speed of 85mph, they can put you to jail for driving 35mph over official SPeed limit! At least in TX when you get caught doing 90 mph, you're just 5,10 15 MPH over the speed limit!!! No jail time or license suspension!
Still want Low speed limit?? LOL!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Awesome. Glad to see a counter-thread to all those boo-hoo'ing over lower gas mileage. It's all about how you drive and the conditions.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I once got "speeding" ticket in SFO from the airport (Burlingame) to the city, for going too slow... actually, I was doing 55 but since everyone else was going 70, I was told that I should have gone "with the traffic flow"... i.e. the basic law of speed (condition of road, weather, etc) overrides the posted speed limit! LOL

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I settle in the right lane about 3 to 5mph below the posted limit. I rarely find myself obstructed by slower traffic which means I don't need the brakes or the accelerator which of course translates to better fuel economy. I'm not courageous enough to go much slower. Too many maniacs out here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife got 28.8 mpg on the last tank in our 2013 Outback with 2000 miles on it. That's our best tank yet. The Subaru is teaching my wife how to drive more efficiently. I'm not complaining :)

·
Registered
2013 OBW 2.5i, & 2002 WRX
136 Posts
I've had mixxed results with the 2013 2.5i CVT...

Winter fuel mix = bad
A/C, Defroster = so so...
drafting with traffic = good
Warmer weather = good
SubZero temps = bad

Best to date was following a Semi doing 67mph = 34+mpg for 50mile trip.
Average 70mph running with traffic = 26+mpg
The winter fuel mix + icy cold has been bad (25-27mpg) compaired to late Fall (27-30mpg)
I have almost 10k miles so far...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts