Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
37! . . . 37! . . . 37! . . . 37! . . . 37! And other mysteries of the Subaru

Has this happened to you? You're driving along the highway, when out of the corner of your eye you notice something blinking.

Aha! There it is, the thermometer has started to blink 37! 37! 37!

And then it stopped?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I smelled something burning before, is it my engine? Or was it just someone smoking a cigarette in the car in front of me?

Gee, I've got to get to my destination, no time for pulling over and certainly no time for a problem!!!

Finally got to my destination, pulled out the owner's manual and found out why the thermometer was flashing.

Anyone know, without looking it up?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Has this happened to you? You're driving along the highway, when out of the corner of your eye you notice something blinking.

Aha! There it is, the thermometer has started to blink 37! 37! 37!

And then it stopped?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I smelled something burning before, is it my engine? Or was it just someone smoking a cigarette in the car in front of me?

Gee, I've got to get to my destination, no time for pulling over and certainly no time for a problem!!!

Finally got to my destination, pulled out the owner's manual and found out why the thermometer was flashing.

Anyone know, without looking it up?
Assuming that's in degrees F, that's a black ice warning.

Had that on my BMW's for at least a couple of decades so I guess I'm cheating :)

On those cars, it happens at 38 F.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
There is a frost warning feature and although frost is at 32 F it may have something to do with an early warning of a frost/freezing. I am not sure though...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you are both correct.

If you start the car and the temp is over 37, but drops to 37, then the thing flashes 5 times to warn you of possible frozen surfaces

How the **** I am supposed to see that (but I did!) and know what it means first time out is beyond me.

And I even read the manual 7 months ago when I got the darn thing.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Bonus round: when you've been cruising along and the display blinks "1:00" (sometimes "2:00") then returns to showing MPG or temps or whatever.

You're only cheating if you have to look it up.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
It's time for lunch?

kidding of course!
Actually that's pretty close. It's the elapsed time counter letting you know that it's been an hour since you started your journey- consider taking a break.

And it also blinks on successive hours if you keep driving.

I think it is perfect- just barely interruptive enough that I notice it, but it never really distracts me. I do take long trips and I appreciate the reminder to stop, stretch, or just start looking for a pit stop.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
And here I thought this would be a thread about the joke of the guy jumping on the manhole cover.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Actually that's pretty close. It's the elapsed time counter letting you know that it's been an hour since you started your journey- consider taking a break.

And it also blinks on successive hours if you keep driving.

I think it is perfect- just barely interruptive enough that I notice it, but it never really distracts me. I do take long trips and I appreciate the reminder to stop, stretch, or just start looking for a pit stop.

My bladder has a similar feature.

·
Registered
534 Posts
THAT'S what that was, I had NO idea. Funny, I was already monitoring the temp as I was going over Snoqualmie Pass last weekend on the way back from Seattle to Spokane, saw the flash and wondered about it for about 15 seconds, until I had to start thinking about keeping it in the lane again (minor wanderer, alignment since cured completely).

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
And here I thought this would be a thread about the joke of the guy jumping on the manhole cover.
Alright, Euchre. I've heard the one about the hole in the fence... now you're gonna have to share this one. :5:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Douglas_D
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing