Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to a local small junk yard and they have a rolled/wrecked '07 Outback XT (Turbo/4eat sport shift) they are parting out. Beside the engine and trans swap are there any other parts that are bolt on upgrades for my '03 Legacy L?

Here is a quick list of what I could think of off the top of my head....

- Brakes front and rear (will require big wheels I assume)
- Rear sway bar, front is turbo so at least on my old suby's that makes it a no go)
- Leather shift knob and steering wheel (blown bag on the wheel)
- Seats (fronts are gone unfortunately)

Unknown possible swap ideas?

- Center Console & 6 disc player?
- Carpet?
- Dash?
- Door Cards?
- wiper arms?
- ??????

Any ideas or tips on what to snag off this beauty? She is smashed hard, front end is drove into the motor and all the glass is gone. I waiting for them to get back at me with a price for the complete car, but would like a parts list to work with if that falls through.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
XT brakes & sway bar aren't anything special. Same available from all other 4-cyl outbacks of that vintage.

The interior parts you list won't be a direct fit- there was a pretty big change between 2004-2005.

Also it'll have the 5EAT, not the 4.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XT brakes & sway bar aren't anything special. Same available from all other 4-cyl outbacks of that vintage.
But are they an upgrade over the '03 Legacy L brakes and sway bar.....that was the question

The interior parts you list won't be a direct fit- there was a pretty big change between 2004-2005.
That's why it was listed as "possible swap", I was just seeing if anyone had tried it yet. I have seen lots of dash swaps in various brands/gens before, its not unheard of.

Also it'll have the 5EAT, not the 4.
Thanks!
Ian

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Couldn't explicitly tell you if it was an upgrade, but from what I've seen, I can't imagine that it would be much of one.

Look for an 05-09 Legacy GT. Those really did get upgraded brakes. Not sure about the sway bar but it's a lot more likely.

The 6-cyl outback got larger brakes somewhere along the line. I don't think they are much bigger but you might look into it.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
All outbacks of this vintage have rear LSD, nothing special about the XT there other than a better chance of it already being worn out :)

Should be a 3.583 rear end with the 5EAT.

The stuff that was "different" about the XT: Engine. Available 5EAT. EL Gauge cluster. Steering wheel has shifter buttons (auto only) and the '07 ought to have the SI Drive knob on the shifter. On paper they weren't much different from regular outbacks.

Edit: NOT All pre-'10 Outbacks have LSDs, see post 9

It was one of the features that distinguished it from the Legacy, which only got LSDs in the special editions like the GT or B.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,109 Posts
I thought some only got rear VLSD with the weather package?

besides, I have no idea if the drive ratio would be compatible.

just a thought.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I've looked deeper into it, turns out some later Outbacks did not get an LSD. From 2007 onward, the discount "Outback Basic" or "Outback" did not have an LSD. The "Outback 2.5i" model (and all higher trims) all had them.

It's obvious that Subaru was looking to eliminate the part altogether and replace it with a virtualized LSD as seen in the VDC-enabled 2010-later Outbacks.

Still more info to tease out of this...

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,109 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Subaru XT6, 1989 Subaru RX, 2004 Outback 3.0 SUS
73 Posts
My '04 H6 has a rear LSD and larger, solid rear brakes. Like it was said before, the XT brakes aren't really an upgrade for your car, even though it's an L.

You could upgrade the rear brakes to the H6 rear setup from the stock stuff. The '05 GT rear brakes are same diameter rotors as the H6 but they are vented instead of solid. Front brakes from the GT are a lot larger as well but limited 16" wheels will fit, which is why they went to 17" wheels.

From the looks of it, the rear swaybar should fit as the rear suspension designs didn't change, just minor stuff was changed. I'm not 100% sure as I haven't tried mounting one of the extra BP/BL sways I have on mine. I did just upgrade to a TriBeCa 25mm front bar though:29:

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 XLT
5 Posts
On the subject of compatability... I have a 2005 Outback 2.5XT. Need to replace cylinder head. What year models can I use?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts