Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Outback XT 5MT. I've never driven a WRX.

I keep thinking about "upgrading" to a WRX 5-door (hatchback / wagon).

For people who know both vehicles -- is the WRX an upgrade?

The WRX is smaller, presumably lighter, and has a little more horsepower. I've read the WRX interior isn't great.

I don't race or do track days and probably wouldn't mess with power modifications (stage 1, stage 2, etc) for either.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
I own a 2011 WRX 5 door limited and a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited. The WRX is a fantastic car for a different purpose. My thoughts are based on these models in particular, but I will admit I know more about the WRX's than Outbacks.

When speaking purely in performance terms, the WRX is a big upgrade. The power level is similar to the XT (265hp vs 250hp), it's much faster, and gas mileage is very similar as well. Since the WRX is lighter and lower to the ground, it handles better. (FYI, the 2009 WRX got bumped up to a larger turbo, so I wouldn't recommend a 2008. The 2011 added widebody and better suspension. 2012-2013 are largely unchanged.) If you were to get a WRX, I would recommend a Cobb Accessport Stage 1 flash at minimum, whenever you feel comfortable doing so. (It's very simple, safe, and makes a huge difference in how the car drives. Before the AP, power delivery was not nearly as smooth.) I could see myself being happy with Stage 1 for a very long time, but I liked the Cobb SF intake, so I added that because I needed more noise. :) Since I have a limited, I have the leather seats. The interior is not fancy, but it's comfortable. The bad: we bought my car before my daughter arrived, and it was plenty of space for two people, or the occasional guest... BUT space in the hatch of the current body style is very limited, even smaller than the base Impreza. The rear facing car seat fits in the back seat...barely. Honestly, we could, and did, fit more in my wife's Honda Civic.

Since we travel through the mountains to Illinois several times a year, we definitely needed something with more interior space and AWD, so the Outback was an easy choice for a family car. It is so much bigger than my WRX (Like, orders of magnitude bigger), not only on the inside, but in the hatch area. The seats are more comfortable, the noise level is much lower, and obviously, the gas mileage of the N/A Outback is much better for long trips. I don't think you are considering replacing your Outback with another Outback, but I just wanted to put that out there. ;)

So, basically, I bought the WRX to drive hard and keep shiny, and the Outback to be comfortable when traveling as a family. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about the WRX. I've had it for two years and I am completely obsessed with it. :eek::D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts