Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if I would have any warranty issues if I install 3rd party trailer hitch (i.e. Uhaul or etrailer). I have 2012 Outback, and also I got Gold Plus security coverage. Please advise. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering if I would have any warranty issues if I install 3rd party trailer hitch (i.e. Uhaul or etrailer). I have 2012 Outback, and also I got Gold Plus security coverage. Please advise. Thank you!!!!
Warranty claims are only denied when it is very obvious that something you have done or modified on the car has caused the issue which you are trying to have fixed under warranty.

With a 3rd party hitch it would be something like major rust damage to the frame under the trunk - and if you did the quick and dirty install of an aftermarket hitch by drilling a 1 1/8 inch hole in each frame member to pass the bolts and backing plates through and these holes were not painted and sealed after ward which resulted in very bad rust damage to the frame No Mother subaru will tell you to go pound sand warranty claim will be denied.

If your engine Control unit fails - subaru can't deny your claim because you have a Hidden Hitch tow bar bolted to the back of the car.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I think SubieSailor summed it up quite well.

To add to that, if you have engine trouble arise from towing, they couldn't claim that the aftermarket hitch caused the problem. Towing is towing is towing. The same problems would arise with the oem hitch. Now they could claim you didn't follow advised limits.. but that would hold true with an oem hitch also.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
I just had a Curt hitch (model 13390) installed on my 2013 today locally by Road N Rack. Highly doubt it will void any warranites. Its also a "hidden hitch".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts